mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-17-2019, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Catastrophic Failures

I've heard stories of people filling up out of hydro tanks and them blowing up on the field. Also heard about how some C02 tanks have stripped their threads and gone flying on the field.
Pump Gun Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
I would rather be fishing

Heard stories but never seen it myself
Junglepeanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Gun Enthusiast View Post
I've heard stories of people filling up out of hydro tanks and them blowing up on the field. Also heard about how some C02 tanks have stripped their threads and gone flying on the field.
Ive only heard of tanks blowing up when uneducated players think they can service their tank regs with petroleum based oil... that will basically turn a tank into a cylinder of a diesel engine... ignition and all.

CO2 are stories before safety vents were cut into valves and players didnt notice the valve unthreading from the tank when degassing. A lady actually died from that.

-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras

Last edited by nofxkid2005; 01-18-2019 at 01:03 AM.
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Touches self, frequently.

PPS Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
There's a lot of stories about tank failures, but other than those that have been confirmed, I'd be willing to bet a significant majority are myths. After all, Canada recently decided to make all tanks under 61ci exempt from hydrotesting (I'm not Canadian, so I'm not 100% sure of the details of the law). I'd imagine they did this after analyzing the statistics for tank failures, and found it was safe to do so.

As for catastrophic marker failures, well I've got one. My PGI Frog quite literally blew apart. No damage to people, and while the marker did take some damage, I will be able to repair it (might involve making some new parts). No pictures, as that was the last thing I was worried about at the time. It really sucked as I'd been testing it out at home and it was just fine. Took it to the field for the first time, and I was still in the staging area getting ready when it happened. It was funny watching people panic, and I was standing right next to it (it was on a stand on my table) when it happened. I just reached over and unscrewed the tank so it would stop venting. I was already having a bad day, so this just went along with that.
William the Third is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have 3 friends that have been expert witnesses in trials revolving around paintball injuries/feather.

In those cases the failures are all human error.

feedback

https://www.cafepress.com/paintshirt

Cool swag to promote your sport!

Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a @#$%.

Shipped price is valid to domestic buyers and will be USPS priority. International buyers are welcome, but will cover additional costs. Insurance costs are included. If you prefer an uninsured package, you the buyer will assume all risk once I ship.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to ECAPNation

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Experienced it... Threads on bottle failed.

We sent a tank to get hydro tested and it seemed like they compromised the threads it failed at 1000 psi. Went through the tech room wall out into the staging and bounced off the front cement wall... Nobody was hurt but the owner filling the tank definitely peed a bit.
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
ECAPNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Only real "catastrophic failure" I've witnessed is the back of a Nova 700 blowing off directly into owner/players sternum (Vanguard Paintball Columbia, SC). Player had bought a used Nova and was playing it without having all of the screws holding the back onto the body. We ended up calling an ambulance to take him away because of all the pain and hard time breathing. He ended up fine in the long run but had one hell of a bruise and minor damage to his sternum.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
Experienced it... Threads on bottle failed.

We sent a tank to get hydro tested and it seemed like they compromised the threads it failed at 1000 psi. Went through the tech room wall out into the staging and bounced off the front cement wall... Nobody was hurt but the owner filling the tank definitely peed a bit.
I have generally been unimpressed by the treatment my regs have had at the hands of three different professional hydro-testers, including cross-fire.

I can't remember a significant failure on the field, unless it was to do with someone fiddling with their tank/marker. Most trouble seems to happen with tanks and markers off the field. I think it's safer on the field than in the staging area.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
I have witnessed a couple of failures, but both were human error, and the tank and marker responded as expected.

First was a tank blowing a gauge lens out and propelling itself off the edge of a counter. The tank struck the floor on the corner of the regulator, and cracked the regulator where it joined the tank. Said crack allowed the tank to become a missile, and it was propelled with enough force to destroy the glass front of a display case about 30 feet away. Definitely a "peed a little" situation. Fortunately, no one was injured.

Second was a fool attempting to service a Mini. He decided to remove the bolt assembly without degassing the marker. Once the extremely difficult to move rear retaining screw was removed, the valve assembly ejected itself into the ceiling. The person involved had been asked by at least two people if he had degassed the marker, as he was struggling with a screw which should not have required any where near the level of force being applied to it. Both times, that I heard, he confirmed that the marker was degassed. Once more... a "peed a little" situation without any injury, save someone's overly inflated ego.

Ty

PS, just remembered an incident at USANA during NJ Nam game. A person had cross threaded a CO2 tank and was unscrewing the valve from the bottle. He was failing to listen, so a team mate and I knocked him down, and I stood on the marker and tank until the cylinder was empty. The ungrateful little sh!t was all bluster and talking trash until we showed him the fact that he had nearly created a lethal missile. Once again... Human error is the culprit.

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak, Freak XL compatible and Equation inserts in .670, .678, and .685 - None in stock, and not planning to make an additional ones. Sorry

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO

Follow Brass Monkey Customs on Instagram and Facebook (work in progress)
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

A player with a TiPX was having a bad day, really struggling with it for some reason. Next thing I know the plug and 12gram are flying away from the pistol.

It didn't go far or do any damage, but was a WTF moment. Not really sure how he managed to pull the plug fast enough to let the 12 gram eject itself.

Personally a newly aquired spyder of mine I decided to run some air through it to see if it would hold pressure. Next thing I know a bunch of o-ring fragments are spewing out everywhere. I wouldn't say it was catastrophic other than it was venting air from everywhere.

My brother was witness to a tourney play where someone landed on their bottle, breaking the ASA and causing the bottle and half broken gun to fly around on the ground for a moment.

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone