mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-18-2019, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Vests VS packs

So I've got a couple Pod packs. I mainly use a 3+ or 4+ for normal play days but for scenarios I'd like to carry more pods, but normally don't because I can't put the pods back in the pack. I never use the elastic but only the Pod holder where it slides back in and I can secure it.

I've been looking at a vest from valken that holds 6 pods, plus has velco for a pack for air. Thinking I can fit a nerf rocket in each Pod pocket as well when I want to run my launcher?

So what do you use and why?

https://www.ansgear.com/2010_Valken_...echomarpat.htm
Old 01-18-2019, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member - Super Newbie

I run one of these when i want to carry pods and water during the summer. Usually just use a belt style one most of the time but I'm usually running light with 100 round pods. Or 10 round tubes for pistols. Anyways, back to the vests, they're quite nice for a bigger loadout. I do really like how it distributes the load and how easy it breathes. Also, the pouches hold a dye mag pretty well.
Tarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Clouds Brewing

I break down every 5 or so years with the dreams of wearing a vest and not having to pull up my pants every few minutes. It has never worked out. I have about 6 different styles of vests and not one worked for me - except when playing mag fed. Mag fed = vest time.

If you do go with vests - go with something modular. Different events require different equipment, so stay flexible.,
Raleighpaintball.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighpaintball.com View Post
I break down every 5 or so years with the dreams of wearing a vest and not having to pull up my pants every few minutes. It has never worked out. I have about 6 different styles of vests and not one worked for me - except when playing mag fed. Mag fed = vest time.

If you do go with vests - go with something modular. Different events require different equipment, so stay flexible.,
So is that how the molle vests work? You get other molle attachments and they weave on or velco?
Old 01-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosgarage57 View Post
So is that how the molle vests work? You get other molle attachments and they weave on or velco?
correct.

I started using a vest when i decided I wanted to carry a hydration bladder and a radio. It's really hard trying to find molle pod holders that don't suck and that match your vest. Other than that, I've found that the ability to carry water and a radio is completely worthwhile, if that's important to you. You can also strap a tank to your back and run a remote line.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

What I've been doing in scenarios is I have a small camelback for hydration and it fits my radio. But then I have a Pod pack. And when it's loaded down with a lot of pods it flops when running. That's why I'd like to have an all in one vest.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I run a camel back and pod pack. Pack can hold 11pods, I leave the top of the Camelback open and when I have a empty pod, pop it over my head and into the Camelback. It holds about 6pods and at that point I'm down to my pooches on my pod pack so I can put the last pods back in the pack without too much trouble.

Works really good you just need to find the right size camel pack and sinch it way up so it will ride above the pod pack.

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Out of curiosity, does anyone use a chest rig for Pods during woodsball or scenario play? What are the downsides, other than limited capacity?
fox3091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox3091 View Post
Out of curiosity, does anyone use a chest rig for Pods during woodsball or scenario play? What are the downsides, other than limited capacity?
I don't but have a friend who does

Weather he admits it or not, the thing limits his mobility. With everything on his chest he just can't move and twist like he can without it.

My father in law uses a vest that is set up like a pod pack, pods on the back. He uses that just to get the weight of the pods onto his shoulders rather than his hips. I think it's a pretty good option because it also has a bladder

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
I don't but have a friend who does

Weather he admits it or not, the thing limits his mobility. With everything on his chest he just can't move and twist like he can without it.

My father in law uses a vest that is set up like a pod pack, pods on the back. He uses that just to get the weight of the pods onto his shoulders rather than his hips. I think it's a pretty good option because it also has a bladder
That sounds like the vest I'm looking at. Nothing on the front but 6+3 pods on the back with a bladder and Velcro for a tank pouch. I definitely don't want it to limit my mobility.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone