mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-09-2019, 12:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I always get nervous when I hear a what looks like 10 year old kid asking the person they are with: Can I take my mask off yet/here/now? Now, maybe they are being extra cautious and asking. However, to me that says they don't know the safety rules. A person is unlikely to follow rules they dont fully understand.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

back when I did the ref thing we had a group of school kids that came out frequently and I always had problems with them doing stupid stuff. I only remember having to chew on them about the mask once or twice but I was always trying to get swollen paint out of a jammed marker to "no I did not pick that up off the ground" when since I had prepped all the markers that morning I new there was not leftover paint in it. this crap went on all the time with them.
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Back when I reffed out at Davis, we had that happen occasionally. I only remeber one occurrence where we had to ask someone to leave for continuously taking off his mask.

Another matter that's always driven me nuts, is the pros. Any time I watched videos of pro events, they were constantly walking around on the field with their masks up. They're supposed to be setting the example for the kids, but because they're pro it's looked over. I don't know if that's still something that goes on, because I don't watch the newer stuff, but it always bugged me.
Macdave06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Small kids and foreign exchange students. The exchange students may have been a language barrier but truth to tell I think it's a general disregard for the need for safety equipment in China (if you've heard any of my friends stories from his travels there you'd understand what I mean). For the kids it's a mixture of the mask not being super comfortable and them fogging up/covered in paint. I kept a micro fibre in my pocket to help out anybody who couldn't see after getting gogged. Seems like something only about half of refs do but should really be standard.

Back when I reffed I wouldn't just call out to them, I would full on bellow. It also served as a reminder to all the others to not f*cking do that.

As for barrel bags we only had 1 entrance/exit to the field. When I called the game I made sure to get/be there and check them as they came off. Didn't have to give any serious warnings because they were then still on the field when I reminded them to put the barrel bag on.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cobra Paintball Fanatic

PPS Fan
On a similar note, I've listened to a few players here and there knock the idea of chin straps on masks.
I've seen several instances in games where a player has tripped or dove and in doing so when their body went horizontal and stopped their mask kept moving, popping clean off their heads. In a couple of these instances where I was close enough I've jumped in to 'don't let them get shot in the face mode' and put myself between them and shooters and helped them recover their masks.

I use the chin strap on my mask, its there for a reason. If you don't like it don't use it, but understand that you are increasing the risk to yourself by not doing so. And disparaging players that do use chin straps on their masks is just dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cameron View Post
Anyone who thinks they can out-birddog a birdog, regardless of weather conditions, is just stupid.
My Feedback
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
One of the things I used to do was tell the group... "If I am wearing my mask, you are wearing yours. If you have any questions just look at me and you will know what to do." We also used to stand at the entry/exit point and do a "safe and bag" drill. Have the renters put their markers into the uncharged bolt position (Don't call it decocked... too many snickers there )and then barrel bag the marker before they could go out. This helped to reduce the number of "one in the bag, in the staging area" incidents.

When the game would get ready to go, that was when we would have the ref call "bags off, cock your marker" then usually have them fire one into the ground or tree to confirm the marker was functioning.

I have seen a few stupid things along the way. Renters removing masks after they got hit, in the middle of the game... check. Renters looking down the barrel in the parking lot after removing the barrel bag, with their finger on the trigger... check. People shooting across the parking lot onto a public golf course with golfers present... check.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak, Freak XL compatible and Equation inserts in .670, .678, and .685 - None in stock, and not planning to make an additional ones. Sorry

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO

Follow Brass Monkey Customs on Instagram and Facebook (work in progress)
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Intermidiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
On a similar note, I've listened to a few players here and there knock the idea of chin straps on masks.
I've seen several instances in games where a player has tripped or dove and in doing so when their body went horizontal and stopped their mask kept moving, popping clean off their heads. In a couple of these instances where I was close enough I've jumped in to 'don't let them get shot in the face mode' and put myself between them and shooters and helped them recover their masks.

I use the chin strap on my mask, its there for a reason. If you don't like it don't use it, but understand that you are increasing the risk to yourself by not doing so. And disparaging players that do use chin straps on their masks is just dumb.
I've always used a chin strap for this exact reason. I hate Delta Force's business model with a passion, but the one good thing they do is check that everyone's mask is tight and their chin straps are on. In fact, their entire safety check before leaving the field is the best I've ever seen. They do have some questionable on field safety rules though...
BLINDMAN Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

The mask problem is pretty much expected a few times within any new rental group. It's the attitude that really catches your eye. Like people crossing the street while looking at their phones. "Right of way" will not stop a car or other projectile.

Renters do other fine things too. One of my favorites is chipping paint and wood from the structures with the marker barrel.

Sometimes they can't get off the field after calling themselves out without shooting back at the person that shot them in the first place.

I saw a father playing full aggressive against his own son, daughter, and their friends (the kids were inexperienced and 11 to 15 years old). He would also play-on after multiple hits in an all-hits-count game. That was sad.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
I came super close to taking a kids eye. He was super lucky I was playing Stock Class missed his eye by an inch or less. I don’t think he had any idea how lucky he was. He got really mad when I screamd on him. As soon as I fired the shot my hart sank thank god it missed.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Lockdown Scenarios

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
When reffing, part of my morning safety briefing always includes the following bit:

"This orange vest means I am being paid to make sure that all of you go home with the same number of eyeballs you came here with..."

<me addressing a parent of a rental player>
"So Mom/Dad, do you want me to do everything in my power to protect your kids eyeballs from a serious injury? "
<parent>
"ah...yes"
<me, looking at the kid who keeps talking during the briefing>
"Your Mom just said I can tackle you if you take your mask off on the field"
<parent nods approvingly>
Adults are more difficult to deal with/intimidate though...
the stuntman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone