mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-09-2019, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Dumb Rental Players

I'm not saying all first timers or rental players are like this, but I keep seeing it so it does happen. A rental lifted his mask on the field and got hit an inch away from losing an eye, the field owner gave him another chance didn't kick him out. next game roles by, the guy does it again and somehow took another hit to the face without losing an eye, but his face was swelling up bad. Field owner then kicked him out, too much of a liability.

Anyone else have any experiences with rental players or regular players for that matter who should know better?
Pump Gun Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Intermidiate

Had a local fairly high level hockey team (provincial league, that is a feeder for the national junior team) play at the local field one winter. Anyways arrogant hockey players combined with an inexperienced/uncaring ref led to an awful day of play. One player fully took his mask off mid game while hiding behind a bunker, and began waving it above the bunker. Needless to say I refused to fire a single shot that entire game. When the games were 'over' (according to the pushover ref), they players would continue to shoot the **** out of eachother, and not just their friends, one even tried to do this to me too. Then in this 'freefire' period one of the players decides to lift his mask, while some kid right beside him decides to shoot at a tree or something. Well what does he do? He decides to chew this kid out for shooting while his mask was off, on a live field, where he knows shooting is already happening. Not defending the kid for shooting while people are being unsafe with their eye protection, but he obviously shouldn't have lifted his mask. Anyways, after that little incident the ref (who was really a labourer who was working because they were understaffed that day) was fired. Just one of the reasons I dislike young hockey players. There's an end to my rant.
BLINDMAN Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Trekkie

Your guys refs must suck. I know a guy who accidentally shot an eye out of a dumb rental.

That sucked

My youtube (take it with a grain of salt): Solar eclipse paintball
mlzplayer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Trilogy Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLINDMAN Pb View Post
Had a local fairly high level hockey team (provincial league, that is a feeder for the national junior team) play at the local field one winter... Just one of the reasons I dislike young hockey players. There's an end to my rant.
Holy crap is that an actual stereotype? Because I reffed a private group of a couple hundred club hockey kids (14-15) back in '11, and they were exactly as you describe; arrogant, condescending, pseudo-tough guys (who would drop f bombs every time they got hit). Probably the worst day of my life, culminating in the fact that the field caught fire from a smoke grenade, burned about a quarter acre.

Made for a great story though. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Intermidiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
Holy crap is that an actual stereotype? Because I reffed a private group of a couple hundred club hockey kids (14-15) back in '11, and they were exactly as you describe; arrogant, condescending, pseudo-tough guys (who would drop f bombs every time they got hit). Probably the worst day of my life, culminating in the fact that the field caught fire from a smoke grenade, burned about a quarter acre.

Made for a great story though. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it.
Yessir, the youth hockey player stereotype is most certainly a thing, it more falls in line with the entire jock stereotype, but even worse imo. Most of my bad experiences with them comes from school though. Not all of them are like that, because I know people at pretty high level sports who aren't arrogant, and are genuinely nice people (even some people in the group I mentioned were like this).
BLINDMAN Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
I was reffing a game and saw a kid take his mask off. I yelled at him and he put it back on ( he’s in the farthest back bunker, not cool but also not front). Go back to watching and see him immediately do the same thing again. Yelled a second time, tell him if he touches his mask again he’ll be sat out next 2 games. Puts it on and I go back to reffing. Sure enough he gets hit finally but is to scared to walk the less than 15 feet to the exit behind him, so what does he do? Rips off his mask and yells at the other team to stop because he’s scared.

I lost it at this point because before this game I had already had to talk with him. Start yelling at the kid how it’s irresponsible, and how he’s done for the day, the whole 9 yards. All the players heard this and stopped a pretty hot and heavy game to come over because they thought there was a fight, my boss and a bunch of regulars ran out of the shop because they thought I was breaking up a fight lol. The kid tried to sneak back in to play twice.

Not my best moment but even I have a limit.

I was also close by when someone got hit an inch under their eye. Lifted his mask to look through a hole and sure enough one of his drunk bachelor buddies shoots through this tiny pin hole. Dude had a migraine and threatened to sue. He did but lost. I heard from his friends that he couldn’t go to the concert they all went to because any noise would give him a massive headache. He apparently payed a few grand for the ticket.

Plenty of people thinking they can tear bunkers up to make shields.

“Hurr durr Im going to shoot da wabbits”.

Kinda glad I don’t work at the field anymore, just because I don’t have to deal with dumb *** people trying to take themselves out of the gene pool.
Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

I reffed for a few summers at a small local field and we never had problems like you guys are describing. At most I remember having to make somebody sit out for a game and they never pulled their mask again on the field.

When I think of “dumb rental” players I think of stuff like this:
-taking a dirt core sample with their barrel and continuing shoot paint into it for a game or 2
-“I’m gonna get the flag” in situations they clearly can’t get it and get totally shot up.
-attempting to use old paint off the ground that is clearly no good
-shooting into a barrel condom in the deadzone
-shooting at targets that are clearly out of range
-shooting half their hopper at trees and bunkers before the game starts then running out of paint just a few minutes into the game
Old 02-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Daddy

I think it’s an instinctual thing to do when you can’t see. I really don’t believe [in most cases] that kids are like, “**** the rules!” They just can’t see and suddenly try to wipe the fog. I see it when I play with friends that aren’t players and they’re by no means stupid or rabble-rousers. They’re also like 30+ years old. Meanwhile, we played frequently enough to have the rule drilled into our brains, so if the mask does fog or something does happen, we stop and think “how do I fix this without lifting my mask?”
I’ve been playing for over 15 years and still forget the barrel plug after I get shot out sometimes. Not frequently, but it happens.

Thankfully, our local field is good about it. They’ll generally give you a stern warning and let you know that you’ll be going home if it happens again. As a senior player, I also warn people who do it.

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html

WTB Thread (Markers, parts, other) updated 12/26/18
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post3545757

Riot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Bad Juju

I came within a half second of shooting an adult rental's eye out a couple of years ago. He popped up from behind a bunker so I snapped out and fired a single round (playing pump). As my round was in the air he started to take his mask off and my round clipped the bottom of it just before it cleared his eyes. He yelped loudly, I thought the worst. But he called himself out and made his way off the field, didn't appear harmed, thankfully. After the game I went to talk to him and he confirmed what had happened, said he had screamed out of surprise, and narrowly missed getting shot in the eye, but no damage. I still remember that oh sht moment. Never want to feel it again.
ClarkGryphyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Similar to Clark, I came through some bushes at the final 10 second countdown into a clearing to see an opponent kneeling down with his mask facing straight toward me. I quickly took a shot which startled him. He lifted his head and I just saw exposed face. His mask had been on top of his head while he was messing with his gun. The ball bounced off his chest and we both about **** ourselves.
wunderbarsafari is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone