mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Daddy

“Pro” Paintball is laughable!

Alright, now that’s I’ve gotten your attention with my title, let’s discuss.

I watch the games when I catch a shared video on Facebook or something. I know a few teams and even a couple of players names. I couldn’t tell you anything they’ve done. I was just checking messages on PBN and the home page is all about these “pro” players and what teams they’ve landed on and I just have a hard time taking it seriously.

It’s paintball. It feels as though they’re trying to make it out to be a “real” sport. I’m not going to get into the debate of sport vs hobby, but let me ask this one question:
Do pro players make enough money to live on? Is paintball a viable career choice, even for those at the highest level? I don’t want your opinion, I want facts.

I don’t hate pro-paintball or anything. I openly admit it isn’t my cup of tea, but the guys certainly hustle and put in work spraying those lines down the field ”They’re called ropes, Riot! And it’s all about lanes! You know nothing so shut up!”
Oh, sorry.

If you love what you do and what you do is love pro paintball, hey, more ****ing power to you! It just feels so forced, like rather than a naturally accepted status, they’re like “this is propaintball and this is who we decided are pro players. So pick someone we showed you and be a fan.”

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html

WTB Thread (Markers, parts, other) updated 12/26/18
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post3545757

Riot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Stylin' & Profilin'

CCM Fan
If you have some time watch/listen to the podcasts from Carl Markowski. He frequently talks about this as the main difference between professionals in paintball and other sports...you don't know who they are and are never given a reason to care!

Paintball teams in general do a very very poor job in promoting themselves and as such no one really has any reason to care about them if they don't even care about their own organization.

That coupled with the very robotic version of the game currently labeled as pro leads to a Johnnie Everyman kind of format, just plug XYZ into a position and as long as they stay on the rails the point can be won.

I think some efforts have been taken to try and get people involved with the intro of stats during webcasts and the myfanwagon fantasy stuff, but like you say its paintball so that might not be as attention grabbing as it would be with other sports.
Euangelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Certified Creeper

I've met numerous guys who, when I mention "paintball", state that they used to play "pro". Come to find out, they generally revert to saying things like "sponsored". Eventually, it's always been something along the lines of "I got free paint and played in some tournaments" meaning, a bracket structured game in which they probably paid for travel, jerseys, entry etc... But got the paint for the tournament day covered.

I dunno. "Pro" is a strange word. I've been a pro-lots of things, but mostly not to the point where I supported myself with it.

Near Houston TX? Check out the
Houston Area Stock Class Group
Mithuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Stylin' & Profilin'

CCM Fan
Make sense, in a way its more "I play organized paintball"

And I think a lot of tournament players would confirm "organized" might be generous lol
Old 02-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euangelion View Post
Paintball teams in general do a very very poor job in promoting themselves and as such no one really has any reason to care about them if they don't even care about their own organization.
I couldn't agree more with this!

I'm from Toulouse (France) ... The home town of the TonTon ...
I played speed ball for years back home (all my friends were in some team or another being "sponsored") and I didn't discovered the team until I came across some parts with the Occitan Cross on it ... in the US ... On CL ...

If they don't care about what they do, what should we?

For sale:
Bolt action Phantom
Tacamo vortex

My Feedback
XEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stylin' & Profilin'

CCM Fan
I also don't think this discussion should be taken in terms of trying to diminish the accomplishments of those pro-players, as I think there are many who have fundamentally shaped how we view and play the game (for better or worse).

The issue is they / we stink in categorizing and celebrating them in any meaningful way.

Last edited by Euangelion; 02-10-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Trekkie

Airball and pro-play for me seems like different sport, much as speedsoft is for airsofters

My youtube (take it with a grain of salt): Solar eclipse paintball
mlzplayer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Stylin' & Profilin'

CCM Fan
I agree with that 100%.

Having played competitively in many formats over the years the mentality that goes along with each is completely different.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fire Avatar by Flounder

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
There's no such thing as pro paintball. Unless your name is Greg Hastings, you don't make a living from playing this game.
A: Society sucks

Join us next time for another episode of Existential MCB
Feedback

CAX

I am "SPARE EDDIE"
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mrs. Harbinger the void

Pro is accepted as the highest form of competition in most sports. That's where is satisfies the definition here. Compensation levels certainly dont qualify as amateur by militant ncaa or old Olympic standards.

At its core paintball is a tough sport to appeal to a mass of spectators. It's a tough sell until this gets figured out.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone