mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-16-2019, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Paintball Historians, I need some help!

I'm trying to capture tournament results from the early days of paintball. I searched the Internet and found scattered information, but nothing consolidated. I've created a website for what I have so far: Retro Paintball

I could use some help. There are many gaps in what I have found. If anyone has the results, preferably the top 4 from each division, for the 1992-1997 NPPL that would help me a lot.

I am also interested in any tournament results you wish to contribute. I am mainly interested in the "classic" or "retro" tournaments. I think APPA does a good job recording the xball and regular 5 man tournaments, so I don't need to duplicate effort.

If you have anything you can contribute, please post here or reach out to me via email admin@retropb.com
LowBudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Heart of Texas

Warpig is still up. They have a lot on there.

Need money? I buy old eclipse splash stuff..
cave_hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
One Foot Less

Lol...the APPA lost YEARS of my (and many others) tourney experience totaling nearly a decade and in the process of that made a complete joke of the ranking for any series they are affiliated with.

I hope you can find something through the above suggestion or on the wayback machine.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave_hero View Post
Thank you. The majority of what I have now came from there (NPPL, GWS, IAO). Their coverage starts around 1996 so I need other sources to fill in the rest. I appreciate the help.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave_hero View Post
But for long, we don't know. It looks like Bill shut down what was left of the forums a few days ago, so all that's left is the news articles and such. I know he said that he wanted to keep all the information up still and possibly shut down the forums section, looks like he is going on that path now.

Too bad the original forum info was lost years ago, lots of good data disappeared then.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintzapper View Post
But for long, we don't know. It looks like Bill shut down what was left of the forums a few days ago, so all that's left is the news articles and such. I know he said that he wanted to keep all the information up still and possibly shut down the forums section, looks like he is going on that path now.

Too bad the original forum info was lost years ago, lots of good data disappeared then.
When the original forum was lost, SO many people never returned. Was a sad day for old school paintball.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

rec.sport.paintball and alt.sport.paintball on Usenet had all that info, along with Listserv on Bitnet.

Those are from before Al Gore created the internet.

RSP and ASP were heavily used in the early 90s. Dejanews had the entirety of usenet archived from 1980 to today. However, GOOGLE bought dejanews.... and basically closed it to remove competition for its own Google "groups".

Its too bad. I used to be able to see posts I made back to 1992, but now that archive seems broken. If you can find a working archive of asp or rsp, then that would have all the stuff you need

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Not sure if this helps your search but this APG has the 1997 World Cup news.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Purs...8AAOSwSlBYys3B
Ragu210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
rec.sport.paintball and alt.sport.paintball on Usenet had all that info, along with Listserv on Bitnet.

Those are from before Al Gore created the internet.

RSP and ASP were heavily used in the early 90s. Dejanews had the entirety of usenet archived from 1980 to today. However, GOOGLE bought dejanews.... and basically closed it to remove competition for its own Google "groups".

Its too bad. I used to be able to see posts I made back to 1992, but now that archive seems broken. If you can find a working archive of asp or rsp, then that would have all the stuff you need
Wow! that brings back memories. Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought of Usenet in quite some time.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone