mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Do you think a set up can be too light?

Yesterday I went and playing some rec ball, I know someone from McB who actually played paintball in the last 3 years. I was using my Nelson based pump with a 13 cu in tank and a GOG 100 cal hopper. It felt too light to me, when I would pump I could feel the whole marker move. After a few games I switched to my Ninja 14 cu in and it felt so much better and easier to use. Has anyone had a similar experience with a set up being too light to play with?
ilivlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
PPS Fan
Balance makes a big difference when shooting. The heavier tank would have moved some weight back into your shoulder, stabilizing it more.

I notice the difference when I shoot my AR vs my AK. I actually like the balance of the AK much more than the AR. The AR is a bit more front heavy then the AK. It's all personal preference on this.
Nectaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Lol, that was me with a 13 cu in on an Emek with the low cap PAL. I was puzzled by the "push" from the shot for a while. I was thinking "muzzle flip... really?"

I'm going to try the hi-cap loader and a 45/4500 next. After many years of automags and 68 cu in tanks, these little things do feel odd. I had an ICD alley cat on a 7 CO2 tank that was smaller, but the recoil was balanced and it weighed more.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm sure there is a lot of personal preference but I like some heft to my markers. They feel more stable and like you mentioned "absorb" some of the pump stroke. I've never understood the obsession with shaving ounces off the weight of markers. Then again I played a long time with a Piranha Long Barrel with AGD Six-Pak and an Indian Springs Maxi-loader definitely a combination that is not light.

As Nectaris states balance is important, I like a slightly forward balance marker. Carry most of the weight above the trigger frame with a little forward bias with a full hopper.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
This is why I prefer a stock on my Phantom. Without it, my aim feels off. With a stock, the gun feels more balanced to me.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Never
I play scenario games and sometimes will wear out quickly if my setup is too heavy. I actually switched out from my double barrel phantom to my phantom pistol this last weekends event as I wanted to go even lighter.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Too light? Can't imagine that being possible. I run a SC phantom with 8" barrel, 2.5" pump handle, dropout valve, and a magpul grip. I can't even play with a tank or hopper anymore.
estin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jack Wagon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivlife View Post
Yesterday I went and playing some rec ball, I know someone from McB who actually played paintball in the last 3 years. I was using my Nelson based pump with a 13 cu in tank and a GOG 100 cal hopper. It felt too light to me, when I would pump I could feel the whole marker move. After a few games I switched to my Ninja 14 cu in and it felt so much better and easier to use. Has anyone had a similar experience with a set up being too light to play with?
I can agree with this sentiment. I find the Phantom, for example, to be too light for me. I always preferred Sheridan brass and other Nelsons like Tasos which carried more weight and felt more comfortable to pump.

That said, I don't like anything that is too bulky either. I like a compact setup that still feels solid in my hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4life182 View Post
ill gats pwn nubs n give mE pwners?
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

No, love my Phantom with a 10rnd and 12grams. I can get real tight in a bunker. Reaaaally tight.
NelsonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Fleeing Pickle

Kilt Club
As others have said it's hugely based off of personal preference, but I think there's a weight-to-kick ratio to keep in mind.

One of my favorite guns to use was my OG Hammer with a stick feed and 3.5oz tank. It weighed less than any gun I've ever used and shot a decent ball, even though the kick was very noticeable due to the low weight.

Similarly my Emek with a spring-feed and a 22ci tank is quite light, and feels great because of the low recoil.

My Angel with a full hopper and a 45/45 is hefty, but feels balanced and nice to shoot.

I used a Spyder with a 48ci aluminum tank yesterday and it felt overly backheavy and the massive recoil made it feel janky to shoot.
JonnyDread is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone