mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
pumper, machinist

pb history doc trailer thoughts

did anyone else feel like there should have been just a bit maybe 2-2.5 full seconds more of "modern" (2005-2019) speedball footage in there? like if this is a project or players, then fine, but if this is intended, or at least hopeful of growing the sport, i feel there should have been just a tad better representation.

not that we should cater/pander to those who would be-smudge paintball's name saying that woodsball is rednecky, or like guys "playing solider", but i know that that is exactly what many people think of when they hear paintball, and aren't knowledgeable about our sport.

and while good-ol-boys having a good time, and scenario/millsim guys "playing soldier" is totally fine, and just a couple of the many many facets of our sport, i feel like it turns more off than on.

is that just me? jump down my throat if necessary, but i have always felt like when people see legitimate tourney footage, they have a whole new view of what it is we all love. and are also more open minded about all thos other facets, such as milsim scenario, fantasy scenario, tourney, ball, renegade, stock class, all of them! my .02

idk, i could be way off airsoft is growing everyday, and that shizz is full of "operators"

either way i am stoked and am in no way trying to $h!t on their work, and cannot wait to see the final result!
440SUPERCOMMANDO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Naw, once you start trying to add too much into something it will start to dilute everything else. They may make another trailer featuring the more modern aspects, but too much in one trailer can just be that, too much.

Plus, I'm not sure that a few more seconds would enlighten those who aren't already familiar with the current gameplay. There is so many different niches that can show off various angles of modern paintball as it is seen today that a trailer won't be able to display it or give some sort of proper context.
paintzapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

I'm just hoping Mike Cassdy's in there somewhere. He deserves his own 2hr special.

Tom Kaye too, probably.
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Intermidiate

They were trying to play on the historical aspect of paintball as a 'war game', which many players are not aware of, and trying to contrast the image paintball had then vs now. Most players today have little idea of what it used to be like, but airball has (in general) changed very little since it's inception, and most players are familiar with it.
BLINDMAN Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
pumper, machinist

I feel all of that, keep the replies coming, i love perspectives
Old 04-14-2019, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

https://youtu.be/776nNU4ynds

Putting the love back in the game. That struck a chord with me. I think that's what's missing, in a general sense.
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Daddy

Speedball can be more intimidating than anything.

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html

WTB Thread (Markers, parts, other) updated 12/26/18
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post3545757

Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
pumper, machinist

just as a response, not an argument:
i just feel that speedball, specifically air ball just looks a little more "legit" to the ignorant outside observer. and i maen ignorant in an academic sense not as an insult. at least that has been my experience with outsiders.

you (i assume) and DEFINITELY I, loved the game from first discovery, which for me was woods ball, and i bought (my grandfather bought for me) a hydro dipped camo cabelas edition 98 custom, and i got a guili suit (for hunting) tht xmas from my dad, but a lot of folks dont see that as "legit". you see a five on five team, on a manicured field, and can see all five and five players working and yelling as a team, looks less like a hobby and more like a sport. again, just my mileage. and again deff not arguing, i have also seen people be scared as h-e!! to go out on the speed ball field cuz of all those "fast guns and good players"...... good players lol
Old 04-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Intermidiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440SUPERCOMMANDO View Post
i just feel that speedball, specifically air ball just looks a little more "legit" to the ignorant outside observer. and i maen ignorant in an academic sense not as an insult. at least that has been my experience with outsiders.

you (i assume) and DEFINITELY I, loved the game from first discovery, which for me was woods ball, and i bought (my grandfather bought for me) a hydro dipped camo cabelas edition 98 custom, and i got a guili suit (for hunting) tht xmas from my dad, but a lot of folks dont see that as "legit". you see a five on five team, on a manicured field, and can see all five and five players working and yelling as a team, looks less like a hobby and more like a sport. again, just my mileage. and again deff not arguing, i have also seen people be scared as h-e!! to go out on the speed ball field cuz of all those "fast guns and good players"...... good players lol
Agreed.
BLINDMAN Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440SUPERCOMMANDO View Post

I donít disagree. I think if speedball (air) was a focal point, it might be a lot. Itís fast paced, itís expensive, it can just be a lot. I suppose some younger folks would be super into that though. Iím going to say, having not seen the preview, that if everything was equal clips, that's probably the best route to recruit new players.

If this is simply a history of paintball movie, then... well... actually I think it should be equal as well. While the history of the war games is probably the most important to the creation of paintball, speedball and tournament play definitely helped in shaping the sport coming into the present. I just watched (and I think posted) a 2002 Derder video and it was pure chaos. Not exactly what youíd want to market the sport to anyone but *******s... but if itís an accurate portrayal of the sport, it needs to be touched on.

I played in 2002 for the first time (new school to most guys here) and quickly thereafter realized this wasnít for me. It took over a decade before coming back and playing a scenario game to respark that love of the game. Fact is, itís barely even the game. I donít hardly go on missions (though I hope with a team name in my back in a couple of weeks, i do excel) but itís the guys. You play a weekend scenario and just have this huge party with people that would give you the shirt off their backs. Iím also a lot older now. When I see younger guys at walk on days intimidating new young players, I step up. Iím not sure that type of environment off the field can be displayed in a paintball movie, which is too bad, because thatís where the real experience is.

What the **** was this thread about? Sorry, Iím taking my morning coffee poop and just started rambling hard.

404ALLCAPSGUY, I like you, become a member. You post solid threads and we like that **** in the members area.

#KeepYourDischargeExtreme

(I was sober for this post...wtf)

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html

WTB Thread (Markers, parts, other) updated 12/26/18
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post3545757

Riot is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone