mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-15-2019, 08:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fire Avatar by Flounder

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
You wrote, "To the point. The respawn/bases were set very close together on the parking lot side of a narrow but long field."

And this I think is a key point. I'll pick on EMR since that's the big field I know. Back in the day the insertion points were around a corner and probably (I'm bad at estimates) a 15 minute walk from each other on the field. Now they don't play Castle Aaaargh and the back fields are gone, the insertions have one big field between them, and 2 or 3 minutes from whistle blower players are fighting over the speedball field. That combined with on-field insertion points and constant insertions really screw with the game balance. What's the point of marking an opposing player when six minutes later they're back in the same spot?

I know it sucks to sit around not playing, but limited insertion points every 20 or 30 minutes ensure that (A) when your team does well, you actually eliminate players and make progress, and (B) when your team does poorly, you get a single burst of power, while the other team's 'resupply' is stretched thin.

But it means we need two extra refs to keep time, plus fewer players slinging money-making paintballs at 12.5 bps ramping so the hell with good game play

A: Society sucks

Join us next time for another episode of Existential MCB
Feedback

CAX

I am "SPARE EDDIE"
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Nerd

There really needs to be a no-fly zone boundary around inserts that's well out of range. If it's a FS-permitting game, that means like 200 meters. Spawn camps ruin the game (I say this having been on both sides), and producers need to structure the rules to prevent it.

And if the points are close together, like at one end of a long narrow field, put a "do not shoot over this line" line in between them and extend it a few hundred meters to make a U-shaped field. Hard to enforce? Yup. You have to mark it clearly and have refs stationed with basically the full line in view for the duration of the game. But if that's what it takes, that's what it takes.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Subscribe! "Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback

WTB Cooper T PGP bolt! PM me if you're selling one!
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mr. Hoity Toity

Here is the event map. The gold stars are approximate insertion points

55875352_10215182617866514_4868901804374491136_n.jpg
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fire Avatar by Flounder

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
Here is the event map. The gold stars are approximate insertion points

Attachment 69199
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly like EMR. There's no incentive to get out into 2/3s of the field and the "run & gun" sorts just mass up at the front near insertion
A: Society sucks

Join us next time for another episode of Existential MCB
Feedback

CAX

I am "SPARE EDDIE"
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mr. Hoity Toity

Missions and flag station control was the reason to get out there. Once pictures start coming out from the game you will see the conditions the game was played in. I do believe once the filed owners have time to finish up the work they have been doing it will be a great place to play a game like this but as it is right now the field was not ready for that many players. You can tell they have put a lot of work into the field and the work they have done is pretty nicely done. I look forward to seeing it again when they have more time to make things happen.
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Midget Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to cfos00

As someone who's written a few games and produced them, the #1 concern I've had an tried my best to do is try and balance things asap. If it comes down to asking teams to swap sides, you gotta do it. It sucks to just get hammered all day, and it isn't a lot better to be the ones hammering. People like firefights, not just shooting defenseless people or getting rained on all day (well, unless you're a dick, which is an entirely new problem). The producers, if they knew the field, really did fail you there. They have to know better. They should be asking why you would go to a part of the field, and how they would play the situation. They also have to understand that one side getting killed will basically end a game in a hurry, bc people will leave and not come back unless they're die-hards at the field. You want balance, not just to make the game competitive, but to actually make it fun. It's a lot harder than it sounds, but as a producer it really needs to be the top priority. And it sounds like they completely set themselves up to fail.

Need a Centerflag Uprising manual? PM me.

My Shooters
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...ollection.html
cfos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I have been on both sides unfortunately. I play quite a bit on asymmetrical fields, in regards to layout and ability. Playing a game where I get pushed all the way back past my deadbox feels like I wasted my money. When I am on the opposing side I will not push past the 50. I'm not here to ruin some rental's day. If they run up I will gog'em but I am not going to push all the way to their 20 and just pop them as they spawn. It just isn't fun for anyone.
Sick Prostock Pump
Empire Sniper
'Not yo Momma's' WGP Trilogy
Closed Bolt Accuracy
dcroenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
One Foot Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
I look forward to seeing it again when they have more time to make things happen.

I will totally play this field again if they make it a year. Obviously a new field is a challenge, but I feel like the work put in and the work that should continue will give this place one hell of a scenario/woodsball arena to play in. There was a lot of good out there but as you say it just wasn't truly ready for this event.

As a side note, I did email and link the producer of the game to this thread. His answer was very encouraging and I feel comments here will be productive (so far) as to helping rectify the issues both with this particular game and future events.

Thanks so much for the comments.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Nerd

See, at EMR, there are often missions that involve the backfield, and it's actually passable - there are trails, bunkers, some major landmarks back there (I don't recall what they're actually called, but the hunter's camp? trapper's camp? and the train station), and flag stations in flag games. And you can swing wide to grab props and flip flags on the opposite side of the field while avoiding all the gunfighting between the inserts and the fort.

Given how the back is mostly swampy here, from the looks of it, I'd have a no-pass line basically from numbers 1 to 5, or thereabouts. That would open the field up a bit.

I really think it's on the producer to not let stuff like this happen.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Subscribe! "Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback

WTB Cooper T PGP bolt! PM me if you're selling one!
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
There apparently was nothing in the rules for such a contingency. There were some really unkind things said to me and I stood by and watched as our team dwindled to zero presence on the field. The other team had complete possession. The next day perhaps half of our team actually showed back up to play. We were unable to capitalize even on the better position and could not complete enough missions to salvage the day.
This is one of the saddest things ever written (about paintball) on MCB. It affected me.

If no one is in charge of "fun", paintball is ruined.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone