mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 07-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #131 (permalink)
Stimmt so.

Canadian Tire still sells X-Ball paintballs.

I buy them sometimes to test my guns. They're trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle911 View Post
I would also request common sense, but that's the most endangered species of all.

MCB Feedback
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #132 (permalink)
How do I turn this on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Ah Walmart paint. It usually sucked but if you had a healthy outlaw scene in your area it could be pretty decent. RIP Visible Impact
The best paint my dad and I ever shot. 2011, Walmart outside of Albany. "Tournament grade" that was amazing. Didn't break in my dad's A5s, flew straight and broke on target.

Great day at APE with that stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I'm gonna pop some aggs.
Only got 20 rounds in my pocket.
I'm huntin'
Looking for some cover,
This is ****ing awesome.
moving_target is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #133 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
paint that's hilariously too big for the stock barrel and blowing up every other ball

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #134 (permalink)
MCB

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
The area I live in is kind of stuck in a time warp. We have a Fire Extinguisher shop that fills CO2 tanks cheap($2) and they usually have Empire Heat paint in stock. There is also a Bowling Alley that has markers, masks, squeegee's, other assorted gear, GI 1star paint and not so cheap CO2 fills($4). In the big box stores category, we still have Dunham's Sports that stocks paintballs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusX View Post
Waiting to hear that "pffsssttt" sound so you can run up and surrender someone.
We had a kid that would use random aerosol cans in effort to trick you into thinking he was changing his 12g. It worked a couple times for him.

Last edited by Carp13; 07-11-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Carp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:41 PM   #135 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
I used to use the fake Marbs they had at Walmart, I can't remember the name offhand.
RPS premium! That stuff was awesome. I also love the diablo paint that wal-mart had but it ran too small for the barrel on my trracer so I couldn't run it. Oh the days where paint size was "normal".

One of the best days I ever had was with the SUPER crappy "blue streak" paint through a TASO barrel on my old ex-rental sniper 2. That stuff was pretty much a clear shell with blue kool-aid in it and went for a whopping $40 a case. Crappy paint but man on that October day it was shooting darts.

Last edited by Gabe; 07-11-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #136 (permalink)
Do your best & be kind!

Kilt Club
I don't think so, I remember Premiums ('Preems' as we called them). These we made by RPS/PMI, but were only sold at Walmart. They looked like marbs, but they didn't have the same "performance" shell and they were intensely green, more so than regular marbs.
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #137 (permalink)
MCB Member

The CalMag "snot" ball. Worse paint ever. Clear shell, clear fill, metallic "sparkles". It bankrupted the company.

Speaking of paint, red paint. It was the standard in the mid 80s. We stopped in 1990 because it was too hard to see when bad hits were bleeding.

Speaking of hits, FPS was enforced as much. 330-350 was not unusual. Guys were shim up the valve, or double up springs, or just "liquid up" the valve to get above 400fps. Today, you would get kicked off a field. In 1989, people would tell you to suck up the pain.

Also, kids were rare. Lots of fields were 18+ only, and typically had guys in there 30s who could afford it as an expensive hobby. Strange to me that the opposite is true now.

Finding fields was also hard. This was before Al Gore created the internet. so it was all word of mouth. Army-navy and sporting goods stores usually knew some fields. APG had field listing. I had a field 3 miles of the damn road from me, but it was a couple years before I realized it was there.

m16 magazine pouches to hold tubes. I had 2 on each hip.

JT masks with the lens held on by zip ties.

CO2 constantly blowing on hot days. Burst discs used to all be rated at 1800psi, and fields normally did not underfil. So, on a hot day, you might see 10+ burst discs. Now, they are rated for 3000psi, and everyone underfills. Bursts discs are super rare.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:16 PM   #138 (permalink)
MCB Member

300 f.p.s. for .68 caliber. 350 f.p.s. for .62 caliber. Then, the government got involved ATSM stated that all goggles, even JT's were rated at or below 300 f.p.s.

Just killed the SMG 60.

So, Tippmann released the SMG 68.

Then, ATSM said "no full auto", so the SMG 68's were restricted to semi only....

An entirely different game with .62 SMIGS and .68 Pumps. Loved that short era.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:42 AM   #139 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-SHOOTIST View Post
300 f.p.s. for .68 caliber. 350 f.p.s. for .62 caliber. Then, the government got involved ATSM stated that all goggles, even JT's were rated at or below 300 f.p.s.

Just killed the SMG 60.
-I'd be interested in hearing about that. I was given to understand that the SMG-60 was obsolete long before the ASTM got involved.

What 'killed' the SMG was mainly the poor ballistics of the .62 ball compared to a .68- even with a little more velocity, a pumper with a .68 could outrange a gunner with a .62, so it didn't matter how quickly the SMG could fire.

Plus the limited ammo capacity, the relatively slow reloading, and shooters constantly losing the stripper clips all severely limited the interest in the gun- and of course once direct-fed .68 cal semiautos came out, the final nail was driven into the coffin.

And as I understand it, the ASTM didn't get involved in the sport 'til several years later. I'm also not sure they're the ones that said "no full auto"- I'm pretty sure that was an insurance thing, by the old APL and Larry Cossio's group.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:47 AM   #140 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
The CalMag "snot" ball. Worse paint ever. Clear shell, clear fill, metallic "sparkles". It bankrupted the company.
-I thought that "Black Beauty" was what killed Cal Mag.

Well, that and their per-ball costs eventually being something like twice that of the other makers.

But I agree with the red paint thing- we had a kid show up at our field years ago with blood-red Superball. As the field owner, I practically panicked about six times as I'd see a kid coming off the field with "blood" running out of his ear, or a big bloody spot on his leg and soaking into his sock.

We told 'im to put it away, and spotted him 200 of our field paint instead (Premium Gold, at the time.) Asked him nicely to not bring it back.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone