mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #21 (permalink)
pumper, machinist

I would still say unless its an exceptionally large or very confident/mature 15-16 year old, you need someone 18 plus. Ive met a 13 year old I thought was 17, amd ive met 16 year olds that i thought were 20+. Amd if theu had had pb experience i would have no problem letting them ref. BUT, in my opinion, you really need some age to you for an 18, 25, 40 year old douchebag not to walk all over you. If you are the one reff in a group of 10, and there is one dick making a serious problem, you can have all the back up you can get, but you still have to GO get it.
My .02
440SUPERCOMMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #22 (permalink)
Money Pits 'R Us

CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440SUPERCOMMANDO View Post
I would still say unless its an exceptionally large or very confident/mature 15-16 year old, you need someone 18 plus. Ive met a 13 year old I thought was 17, amd ive met 16 year olds that i thought were 20+. Amd if theu had had pb experience i would have no problem letting them ref. BUT, in my opinion, you really need some age to you for an 18, 25, 40 year old douchebag not to walk all over you. If you are the one reff in a group of 10, and there is one dick making a serious problem, you can have all the back up you can get, but you still have to GO get it.
My .02
Eh. I reffed big games and tournaments when I was 15/16. Besides two refs with every group, all you really need is the refs to be confident that management will back their calls (i.e. second time you pull your mask off on the field, you're done for the day).
Old 08-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #23 (permalink)
pumper, machinist

I didn't mean jist mask pulling, i kean i know that that is definitely more common than a real problem maker, but say someone regularly overballing or more to the point, perhaps getting to the point of/becoming violent. Whatever it may be over.
That worst case scenario is just something that if I were a field owner, id want to just already be prepared for.
Or at least have that base covered, if a 12-13 year old is game/competent/confident enough to reff effectively, by all means lean into that and let them, but do not send that person out without 18+ backup WITH THEM.
at one field i play at in north ga, one of their fields is a good 200yard run back to the pits, and a violent incident there with only a young buck there could go on much too long/get worse if that kid has to haul *** back/or radio for assistance.
Again this is just worst case, and just my .02
I don't think age has any real bearing on reffing skill/Management skill, some folks got it, and some dont, independent of age
440SUPERCOMMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone