View Poll Results: Next Project or Purchase
Electric Mag 6 15.38%
Mech Cocker 23 58.97%
Electric Cocker 3 7.69%
Used Mid-tier Electric 7 17.95%
Other 1 2.56%
Wait for 2020 Mid-tiers 2 5.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2019, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Next Possible Project - Need Some Wise Advice

All,

After spending time on my two Mags that I am keeping forever (hopefully), I've decided I'm going to try to sell off my two impulse buys (bad impulse buys), Etek 2 and PEV's Ego 07. Also trying to sell my minimag that has the purple splash pieces and then any random parts I've accumulated that I don't need.

After that, I plan on getting one more marker in my arsenal/collection to make 3 and that'll be it for a good long while. That's where I am having trouble deciding what to start looking for and saving up for. This is where you come in to help lead me to what I may get or build.

I've created a poll of the possible choices I've considered and I'll list below some of my reasons why I picked that one as a consideration. NOT looking for pump or magfed types as of now.

1. Electric Mag of Some Sort
I already have two mechanical mags with Xvalves so I'll already have orings and parts to maintain and those types of parts are still available. Downside is the electronic versions are hard to come by and use batteries that are hard to come by.
2. Mech Autococker
This is the second type of marker I've always admired after my first love the Automag. Anyways, Autocockers seem to still have a great presence out there in the world and have parts galore. Now, these seem far more difficult to know what model and year because there are a ton of different styles and builders and some are compatible with parts from others styles or years. I do like to tinker and build stuff so that is why Autocockers appeal to me. I know about the tuning and timing of them which doesn't intimidate me. I like to tinker. I tinker and play with nitro RC cars and there is alot of tinkering, tuning and timing on those everytime you go out and use it due to weather and/or fuel.
3. Electric Autococker
Same reasons as mech cocker but would have the E frame and different pneumatics. Not too knowledgeable about this platform and if I should steer clear of this.
4. Used Mid-tier Electric Marker
Used mid-tier and priced electric. Some ideas I've had on this that I like are in no particular order are: Dye DSR; GI Sports Stealth; PE GEO 3.5; PE Gtek 160R; Bob Long Onslaught; Bob Long G6R; SP Shocker RXS or XLS.
5. Other
Plead your case for any other options that I should consider. NOT looking for pump or magfed types as of now.
6. Wait for 2020 new mid-tiers
Wait for any new 2020 mid-tiers to come out.

Last edited by jbtamu1011; 08-26-2019 at 01:15 PM.
jbtamu1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Trilogy Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtamu1011 View Post

1. Electric Mag of Some Sort
I already have two mechanical mags with Xvalves so I'll already have orings and parts to maintain and those types of parts are still available. Downside is the electronic versions are hard to come by and use batteries that are hard to come by.
Maybe look at doing something like a Hyperframe, or an e-pneumag. That way you can use standard 9volts and easier to find parts.

2. Mech Autococker
This is the second type of marker I've always admired after my first love the Automag. Anyways, Autocockers seem to still have a great presence out there in the world and have parts galore. Now, these seem far more difficult to know what model and year because there are a ton of different styles and builders and some are compatible with parts from others styles or years. I do like to tinker and build stuff so that is why Autocockers appeal to me. I know about the tuning and timing of them which doesn't intimidate me. I like to tinker. I tinker and play with nitro RC cars and there is alot of tinkering, tuning and timing on those everytime you go out and use it due to weather and/or fuel.
Much more of a cocker guy myself, so this is my preference. Parts ID isn't too difficult, with the help of the cocker guru borg. You have much more freedom to experiment and tinker here than anywhere else. What kind of trigger? Slider or hinge? Which style of slider or hinge? And so on

3. Electric Autococker
Same reasons as mech cocker but would have the E frame and different pneumatics. Not too knowledgeable about this platform and if I should steer clear of this.
Most cocker guys agree that e-framed cockers are kinda blah. E-frames more or less kill the vibe or soul of a cocker. IMO, building an e-cocker is a waste of time. You go through all this work to make a cocker keep up with modern guns but you'll never truly get there. Might as well just buy a modern gun at that point.

I say that, having an e-cocker build in the wings.

4. Used Mid-tier Electric Marker
Used mid-tier and priced electric. Some ideas I've had on this that I like are in no particular order are: Dye DSR; GI Sports Stealth; PE GEO 3.5; PE Gtek 160R; Bob Long Onslaught; Bob Long G6R; SP Shocker RXS or XLS.
I would definitely stick with eclipse if you go this route. And if you're looking at spools, I'd recommend the 3.5/Stealth over the 160R. In my experience, the IV core found in the former shoots smoother. The gamma core is more reliable, but it's on the level of "Tippmann 98 vs Tippmann Pro-Carbine." You have to really abuse them to have problems regardless of which way you go. So IMO, go with the one that shoots better.

5. Other
Plead your case for any other options that I should consider.
Pump, if that's your thing.

6. Wait for 2020 new mid-tiers
Wait for any new 2020 mid-tiers to come out.
It's unlikely anything significant will come out this World Cup.
The way I would rank them is #2, #4, #1, #3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I say mech autococker. This is coming from a mag guy lol. Right now there’s just so many options out there, both new and classic. They can be found everywhere and anywhere, still. It will be the easiest thing to find besides the mid tier electro imho, and these modern guns these days don’t really offer much room to tinker or upgrade.

Otherwise if you build something from scratch, make it a badass pump!!
d2thearkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Money Pits 'R Us

CCI Phantom Fan
Cockers are the hotrods of the paintball world, you can tinker with them in almost every way.

Be warned though, a mech cocker is a gateway drug. You start out with one and the next thing you know you have parts boxes full of spare bolts, beavertails, and valves that you swear you didn't buy.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
VoodistMonk

Pump.
DavidBoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Automag RT Triple OG

If you just want something that works and lets you concentrate on your actual game, then it's hard to argue with a used mid tier electro.
"He is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of the Automag?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Tom Kaye, strong on his mountain!"
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
It's unlikely anything significant will come out this World Cup.
The way I would rank them is #2, #4, #1, #3.
Awesome input, magmoormaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2thearkangel View Post
I say mech autococker. This is coming from a mag guy lol. Right now thereís just so many options out there, both new and classic. They can be found everywhere and anywhere, still. It will be the easiest thing to find besides the mid tier electro imho, and these modern guns these days donít really offer much room to tinker or upgrade.

Otherwise if you build something from scratch, make it a badass pump!!
Thanks d2thearkangel! So far, mech autococker is getting much love. Not too interested though in the pump or magfed game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbyrne233 View Post
Cockers are the hotrods of the paintball world, you can tinker with them in almost every way.

Be warned though, a mech cocker is a gateway drug. You start out with one and the next thing you know you have parts boxes full of spare bolts, beavertails, and valves that you swear you didn't buy.
Thanks pbyrne233! If cockers are like automags, then I know what you mean about them multiplying like rabbits and have random parts haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
Pump.
Not interested in pumps right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
If you just want something that works and lets you concentrate on your actual game, then it's hard to argue with a used mid tier electro.
What would you recommend, Dusty Bottoms? PE? Shocker? Bob Long? Dye?
jbtamu1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
the oddballer

Eblade. Half or mid block.
Will keep up with modern electros all day long.
Does it feel like a cocker no. Does it feel like a modern electro no. Is it fun as hell yes
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-im-broke.html
Feed back
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...feed-back.html
killerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCI Phantom Fan
I personally like cockers, but now have found time to tinker with them is much less than it use to be. As of late, my preferences have been towards "pick up and go" kinda markers that require little to no maintenance beforehand or tweaking to get shooting just right.

Then, I ask what void are you looking to fill? Do you want that tinker setup to mess with? Do you want a smooth shooting mech or electro? Looking for something sleek?

But as to your topics:
1) Emags
I always felt you have to be a diehard to run Emags. Not because they are in any way complex, but just knowing that you are shooting a marker with hard to come by parts kinda makes me not want to pick it up as much.

2) Mech Cockers
There are so many of these out there with tons of parts that you will probably be able to make one to your exact liking. It's just the time investment that I personally don't have time for. I ran them for several years and man did they sing! Nothing beats the trigger pull of a well timed cocker.

3) E cockers
This is almost like the E Mags for me but with some extra maintenance. Totally up to you.

4) used mid tier
If you want a marker that you can just pick up and run with for a great price, I would go here. Plenty of options available for great prices. I like my RSXs, Gteks are always a good setup, Etek 5s are nice, DSRs feel nice in the hand, plus the Stealths and 160Rs are a good buy and pretty much the same thing. There are plenty of others out there, just depends on exactly what you are looking for.

For the other category, maybe a nice modern mech like the CVO, Emek, or Gtek 170M?
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Automag RT Triple OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtamu1011 View Post
What would you recommend, Dusty Bottoms? PE? Shocker? Bob Long? Dye?
I have very limited experience with electros in general, but I've owned a couple Etek 3's and a Gtek, so I'm definitely in the PE camp as far as modern electros are concerned. Their reputation for overall reliability is legendary at this point, and I've been really impressed by their design layout, build quality, performance, ease of maintenance, and superb owners manuals.
"He is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of the Automag?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Tom Kaye, strong on his mountain!"
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone