mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Daddy
 
Riot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CT

Fan of EMR
Help dress me!

After a lovely conversation in the members section, Iíve decided to dedicate most Christmas gifts to buying new gear. Iíve earned it after 10 years of the same most matched, beat up, wrong sized, crap!

I donít know much in the way of gear these days. Hereís what Iíd like to upgrade:
(Parenthesis are what I currently have)
- Mask (i4)
- Pod Pack (Second Hand NxE)
- Pods (random assortment of bought, donated, and found)
- Gloves (oldddd empire, full finger)
- T-shirt (iron team logo)
- Smart Parts Jersey (Ďnough said)
- Pants (old, too big, dye)

What I want from all of you is what you recommend and why. The why is the most important, otherwise Iím just going to end up with 100 opinions with no basis.

Thanks in advanced!

*Note: I do have the scenario team going now. So, some things will likely be better customized. Iíll also accept recommendations there, but I donít want to lose focus.
__________________
Team Extreme Discharge
Paintball's Antiheroes


My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html

WTB Thread (Markers, parts, other) updated 12/26/18
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post3545757

Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
seajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016

How toned and conditioned are your thighs? This is important for the pant suggestion... or lack of pants suggestion...

You can rank from arm chair general to animal trainer/zoo keeper.

__________________
I like Spyders.
MR1, MR2 LP, EMR5 LP, EM-1, Raven Primal, Victor, Fenix.

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Welcome home
 
JonnyDread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rhode Island

Kilt Club
I'm very fond of my Vio. Easily the most comfortable mask I've owned.
__________________
What'cha buying... stranger
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Legit
 
Trbo323's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Vancouver, Washington

- Mask (i4)

I recommend NOT going to the i5. I went from the i4 to i5 and was disappointed. The lens removal system is not great on the i4 but they made it worse on the i5. Look into e flex, vio, or I really recommend the push unite if your budget can allow it



- Pod Pack (Second Hand NxE)

Honestly, nxe still makes good stuff. I have 2 pod packs, a valken and a nxe. I use the valken more because I feel the fit and finish is a little better but it's not by much.




- Pods (random assortment of bought, donated, and found)

I use ans generic $2 pods. I've used dye loc lids, hated them, they don't "lock" as the name implies, don't fit in all pod packs and can be frustrating to find the thumb button. The $2 generic pods just work and if I break one is no big deal. Just Mark them so you know they are yours


- Gloves (oldddd empire, full finger)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paintball-E...item1cd3f2f0d2

These are what I'm currently using, exalt also makes a full finger version and a version with black bones rather than white. They have been great so far. The bones function as some padding as well they are not just decoration. Have been holding up really well, been about 2 years now. No complaints, I would happily buy them again



- T-shirt (iron team logo)

Ummm..... It's at shirt..... Maybe find a bounce shirt if you feel the need?


- Smart Parts Jersey (Ďnough said)

My team had our own jerseys made about 2 years ago from Raza, it was a pretty smooth process, if you have someone on your team that can do the artwork that can save you some money. All together it ended up at about $110 each and we each have a jersey with our colors, logo and name on the back and a matching head wrap. The jerseys are way higher quality than we thought they would be, padding in all the right places, they breath fairly well etc. If you guys want some jerseys made I would look into it.


- Pants (old, too big, dye)

I use dye c9 pants still, I'm probably no help on this one. I still like dye soft goods in general. Their pants seem to hold up really well

Also, maybe look into slider pants? Empire makes the neoskin and if you don't want to run full knee pads they are a great option because they have built in knee pads so they are much more comfortable
__________________
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/n...ml#post2612544

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^


feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Daddy
 
Riot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CT

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay View Post
How toned and conditioned are your thighs? This is important for the pant suggestion... or lack of pants suggestion...
I ask you guys to dress me and the first thing this guy does is try to undress me!

Iím not in any type of real shape. 175lbs of 30 year old dude. Mediocrity at its finest. My current pants make me feel like MC Hammer, Iím sad itís taken me this long to make these moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
I'm very fond of my Vio. Easily the most comfortable mask I've owned.
Iíll look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
- Mask (i4)

I recommend NOT going to the i5. I went from the i4 to i5 and was disappointed. The lens removal system is not great on the i4 but they made it worse on the i5. Look into e flex, vio, or I really recommend the push unite if your budget can allow it



- Pod Pack (Second Hand NxE)

Honestly, nxe still makes good stuff. I have 2 pod packs, a valken and a nxe. I use the valken more because I feel the fit and finish is a little better but it's not by much.




- Pods (random assortment of bought, donated, and found)

I use ans generic $2 pods. I've used dye loc lids, hated them, they don't "lock" as the name implies, don't fit in all pod packs and can be frustrating to find the thumb button. The $2 generic pods just work and if I break one is no big deal. Just Mark them so you know they are yours


- Gloves (oldddd empire, full finger)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paintball-E...item1cd3f2f0d2

These are what I'm currently using, exalt also makes a full finger version and a version with black bones rather than white. They have been great so far. The bones function as some padding as well they are not just decoration. Have been holding up really well, been about 2 years now. No complaints, I would happily buy them again



- T-shirt (iron team logo)

Ummm..... It's at shirt..... Maybe find a bounce shirt if you feel the need?


- Smart Parts Jersey (Ďnough said)

My team had our own jerseys made about 2 years ago from Raza, it was a pretty smooth process, if you have someone on your team that can do the artwork that can save you some money. All together it ended up at about $110 each and we each have a jersey with our colors, logo and name on the back and a matching head wrap. The jerseys are way higher quality than we thought they would be, padding in all the right places, they breath fairly well etc. If you guys want some jerseys made I would look into it.


- Pants (old, too big, dye)

I use dye c9 pants still, I'm probably no help on this one. I still like dye soft goods in general. Their pants seem to hold up really well

Also, maybe look into slider pants? Empire makes the neoskin and if you don't want to run full knee pads they are a great option because they have built in knee pads so they are much more comfortable
Noted all of this, thank you!
__________________
Team Extreme Discharge
Paintball's Antiheroes


My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html

WTB Thread (Markers, parts, other) updated 12/26/18
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post3545757

Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Blegh
 
magmoormaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orem, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
After a lovely conversation in the members section, I’ve decided to dedicate most Christmas gifts to buying new gear. I’ve earned it after 10 years of the same most matched, beat up, wrong sized, crap!
Yeah stop being so trashy!! [jk]


Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
I don’t know much in the way of gear these days. Here’s what I’d like to upgrade:
(Parenthesis are what I currently have)
- Mask (i4)
- Pod Pack (Second Hand NxE)
- Pods (random assortment of bought, donated, and found)
- Gloves (oldddd empire, full finger)
- T-shirt (iron team logo)
- Smart Parts Jersey (‘nough said)
- Pants (old, too big, dye)
If you like the i4, get another one/fix up the one you have. I second VIOs, they fit similarly but they're a little bigger (more jawline coverage) and have better foam. The modularity is nice if you're into that.

Pod pack: I really like the HK Zero-G. No straps is kind of nice, and they're adjustable so you don't have to worry about your pods not fitting after a while. I find them really comfortable to wear. I also like the Exalt, since the material makes them easy to clean.

Pods: don't bother replacing pods.

Gloves: I don't wear gloves so I can't say anything here.

Jersey: get something custom made. Plenty of options there, I odn't know of any that are bad.

Pants: Eclipse is my de facto favorite. They have the best padding and they're incredibly durable. Most important thing about pants to me is the ability to machine wash them. If I can't do that, I don't want them. My old Invert pants were not machine washable, I hated that.
__________________
Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
I need this!
 
Rusty Brass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Portland, Oregon

In an effort to look less trashy I've resolved to hit up all the Goodwills in the area until I find a suit that will make the soccer moms drool over my mediocre 42 year old physique. I might even go into the tactical cummerbund business. A suit + Visine = totes respectable.
The Hawaiian shirt stays though.
__________________
Rusty Brass Feedback

Always looking for a Woodland Camo F1 Illustrator. Got an extra?
Rusty Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Legit
 
Trbo323's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Vancouver, Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
.

Pod pack: I really like the HK Zero-G.
I've heard a few stories of these packs just dumping pods of paint on the ground. Because there is nothing to secure the lid on the pod, if you bump into something or your pods hit each other it can open up the pod and dump your paint all over the ground.

If you are a sponsored toury player, no big deal, but when you are paying for that paint yourself, not something you want happening
__________________
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/n...ml#post2612544

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^


feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky
 
Mr Idiot Box's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Might want to wait on pants and jersey new options may be available very soon...wink wink nudge Nudge..

I like my I5 and I like that all my i4 lenses fit in my new mask. Vio / Asend are nice great lenses didn't fog much on rainy days nice profile. My go to is the proflex with older lenses.

If it’s wet / humid I like my I5
But I run the proflex for 90% of play and still prefer it over most masks.

When it comes to a mask Find one that fits your face the best. It’s hard to recommend a mask.

A lot of players are opting for those rubber dipped gloves from Home Depot. The thin super grippy ones. They are cheap and easy to replace. Protect and actually increase grip.
__________________
Rubber Duckies - Ninja Squad - 518th Brigade - Ragnastock

Last edited by Mr Idiot Box; 11-04-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Mr Idiot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Blegh
 
magmoormaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orem, UT

I'm a sponsored tournament player, we still pay for paint ourselves. We just pay less.

But anyway, that sounds more like user error than bad design. You shouldn't be loading pods into your harness in such a way that the lid can be bumped and popped open to begin with. That's the case with any pod pack, not just this one.
__________________
Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC