mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-30-2020, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

The Unicorn that looks like a regular horse

I'm stuck at home and a little bored, so I figured I'd finally get around to sharing with you this beauty.

20200329_133316.jpg

Now at first glance, you would say, "That's no unicorn, that's just a regular Phantom workhorse," and you wouldn't be far off. It indeed does appear to be a regular Phantom with some additional goodies. The body doesn't have the greatest ano job, but the whole thing works and shoots as well as any regular Phantom does. This could easily get mixed among a table of other black Phantoms, and you wouldn't be able to identify anything special.

But I ask you to see the magnificent Nelson horn upon this plain mule, shimmering just out of sight. What makes this Phantom special is not how it looks, but that it is the last of its kind. It was not the last Phantom that Mike made; his wife owns that. It is however, the last phantom that Mike sold.

I walked up to Mike's booth to purchase a Phantom last Supergame, cash in hand. RustyBrass was there with me, also looking to buy something, so he can corroborate. Mike hadn't yet found a buyer for CCI, and was selling off all of his inventory on hand there at the big game if possible. I wanted at least one more from the man himself, so I scanned the empty tables. One guy and his friend were finishing paying for a nice green acid wash phantom as I asked about the black phantom on the table. Mike said it was his last. "You mean it's the last one you have here?" I asked. Mike is notorious for being the nicest guy, and would personally drive to his shop at lunch to pick up special requests and bring them back to the game, which he's done for me in the past, even when I tell him he doesn't need to do that.

"No, it's the last one I have for sale. My last Phantom." If you look closely, you can tell some of the parts are from seperate ano batches, which is why it had been passed over to this point, but the fact that it was the only one left drove me into a panic. Phantoms have been in this sport before I began playing in the late nineties, and here was the last one. The last one...

"I'll take it!" I exclaimed. "Throw in all the accessories too, I'll buy those as well." I picked out a short barrel, as that was what I originally wanted to try out, a reg, an open class adaptor, and L stock, spring kit, etc.

I don't think I will ever sell it, unless this Corvid19 stuff starts to really affect my income. I like to think this is one that my kids will own; when they start to play they can show their friends on the field the last of its kind; the work horse with magnificent horn of Nelson.

Author of the novel, Sevens.

Flintlock Rifle
Drops/rails and gauges for sale

My feedback for SCP, the phog, PBR, MCB,, AO, and PB nation.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monthly Contest Host

Fan of EMR
Of all the markers I own and have owned... I have been searching for that feeling you just described. As many markers as I enjoy, and have enjoyed, none of them had that special connection.

I have even considered purchasing a custom Palmers that will be just mine... But I just bought used instead. (Cost effectiveness)

Anyways, congratulations on the find. It is stories like this that drive me to keep looking...

Team Extreme Discharge
Paintball's Antiheroes

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

WTB Thread (Markers, parts, other) updated 3/3/20
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post3545757

Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
PPS Fan
I think that is very cool story, did you get him to sign the owners manual?
paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintslinger16 View Post
I think that is very cool story, did you get him to sign the owners manual?
I never thought of that. He's an icon, but such a personable guy that you just expect to see and chat with him at the Supergame or at the shop. Kind if like your grandpa, he remembers you and you pick back up where you left off last time.

Flintlock Rifle

Old 03-30-2020, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Old Slow Fat Guy

You really need to have this documented. You own a unique slice of paintball history.

Congrats on the family heirloom.
Un2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Do realize as he handed that phantom to you, part of Mikes soul was transferred to it, and that phantom is actually a horcrux!
Marker Collection: 1996 RF mini cocker, 2002 RF autococker, bonzai splash RF minimag, 68-Automag RF classic, tippmann pro-carbine, tippmann flatline a5 , tippmann 68-special, smart parts 4x4 sport, tfgpb mech warped sp-1, tippmann sl68II , tippmann flatline model-98, gog enmey, tippmann mini-lite, warp feed rainmaker, mech trilogy SF , pro-team gen 2 micromag, air power apex elite pump

Meleager7 s Collection:

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html
Meleager7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
PPS Fan
I bet he would still do it, and get that documented!, Way back-in the garage days I used to run paintball shop out of my house and spoke to Mike a few times.
He was one of the most down to earth guys on the planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
I never thought of that. He's an icon, but such a personable guy that you just expect to see and chat with him at the Supergame or at the shop. Kind if like your grandpa, he remembers you and you pick back up where you left off last time.
paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Life during COVID

After this pandemic thing has died down you should totally hit him up for an autograph on that. I can't believe none of us thought of it at the time, seems really obvious in retrospect.

Always looking for a Woodland Camo F1 Illustrator. Got an extra?
Rusty Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Brass View Post
After this pandemic thing has died down you should totally hit him up for an autograph on that. I can't believe none of us thought of it at the time, seems really obvious in retrospect.
It does. Hope he comes to a game at Matt's one of these days.

Flintlock Rifle

Old 03-30-2020, 11:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Trekkie

Please dont sell. The last phantom is a responsibility you will have to bear.

That being said, if you call yourself out on a bounce shot (knowing it was skill that hit you and "luck" that saved you) , you may qualify for sainthood
-Mithuna

mlzplayer111 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone