mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Max Mechanical Rate of Fire?

The PSP (the only national paintball league) is going to lower the rate of fire cap below 13.3BPS, maybe even as low as 10 or 8 BPS.

Think back to Tom Kaye's automag training video, in which he proudly demonstrated that the automag could shoot 9BPS. What's the point of having an electronic gun that can shoot 30BPS but has to been limited to 10BPS? It seems that if a stock automag with a single trigger could hit 9BPS back then, a very carefully designed, high quality mechanical gun could get up to 10BPS.

What's really the fastest that someone can shoot a mechanical semi-automatic marker? Without some sort of pneumatic assist? (Pneumags and RT mags [and any other mech marker with a similar assist] don't count!)

In that note, is this year going to see the rebirth of mags vs. cockers? Why even bother with electronic guns at all? The past 12 or so years in which the electro has come to dominate paintball is coming to a dead end. I'm betting a lot of people on MCB are overjoyed at this prospect.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Corp Por, Kal Vas Flam

electros arent going anywhere even if they lower the cap to 8 bps IMO...they are consistent and operate with less moving mass and are hard to beat in all areas except for durability
souz4402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

being as how the set trigger on my T/C Hawken rifle takes less force to trip than my friends Ego...

I don't see why you couldn't see 10bps, provided that you could walk that fast.

Why, exactly, do most mech's have really heavy triggers?
Most firearms have much lighter triggers than paintguns, heck, I can "walk" the trigger on my dad's Marlin Model 60 (everyone says model 60's trigger is really heavy) to about 10 rounds per second (I know it's a ton faster than my Tippmann that I walk at ~8)...

"These eyes they will gaze and reflect
And gauge every thought I reject
No sway of stance in changing times
Just a narrow mind commanding respect"

~Demon Hunter - Relentless Intolerance
TheJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Old gear!

Why no pneumatic assist?

That said, I've brought a mech semi over 12 before, and it was a cocker too. I got a STBB (Sentinel, to be exact) up to 11bps, and I got a ULE mag up in to 10-12 range pretty easily too with the double trigger. And I'm not even that fast.

However, the nice things about electronic triggers is solenoid valve timing is a lot easier to control than trying to match springs, and so you can get away with spool valve and ram designs without much trouble, whereas matching springs in a cocker is practically an art form. Lightweight designs, flexibility of timing, and easier adjustments are probably going to keep electros around, not to mention lighter trigger pulls.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

I'd say it will be hard to turn back the clock. More than likely, tournies will see small numbers if the rule is implemented. I don't play tournament 'ball so it has no effect on me personally but I would hate to see a bunch of guys leave the game because of it. I think capping the ROF at 13 BPS would be reasonable and perhaps best for the game long-term.

Dunno...have mixed feelings about the ROF issue. I can't do more than about 5 or 6 BPS with my Classic Automag (stock trigger/frame) so what do I know!

Justin

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

with a mech cocker you can probably hit the 10bps mark easy with the right setup ...
Old 12-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cunning Linguist

Another thing is, if you're using a mech marker how will they enforce the BPS limit?
Old 12-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

I don't know....I am inclined to believe that the autocockers action might make one think the ROF was higher than it actually is. Put across a pact timer, I would be suprized to see anyone sustaining around 8BPS for any length of time. And most importantly doing with with any accuracy.
The claim of the manufacturer/designer, is that the mag is the fastest mechanical made. Now that is a bit misleading in that the "trigger"(on/off) in the RT/X valve is pressure assisted resulting in a "reactive" effect. Even with the ULT, that reactivity can be increased by increasing the input pressure. There is a video floating around of a fellow named Zak Vetter doing insane speeds with an RT valve being fed high input pressure.
Anyway, without getting into the whole, what is assistance argument....my thoughts are that it would be considerably talented and rare to find anyone that could actually pull an unassisted, sustained, and accurate 10BPS on a mechanical marker.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
I don't know....I am inclined to believe that the autocockers action might make one think the ROF was higher than it actually is. Put across a pact timer, I would be suprized to see anyone sustaining around 8BPS for any length of time. And most importantly doing with with any accuracy.
I agree ... I was able to shoot fast, but only briefly ... laying down a string in bursts is easy. But don't count on a person being able to do that for a 5min game playing back or such.

but I do believe that 10bps is achievable ... sustained .. no. As for mags ... I wouldn't know .. not a fan of them ... hence my handle/nickname. I remember when the only choice you had was a mag or a cocker ... of course I went with cockers.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mar
Carter's wife's boyfriend

Brass and Wood Fan
Put a chick on it. You ever seen how fast a chick can move two fingers? 12 BPS GUARANTEED!
Mar is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone