mcarterbrown.com  

Dealers Forum Paintball Dealer? Having a Special? Let us know here.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Autocannibal

I'd also want mine as low as possible!
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
paintball designs

Quick update - my material should get here on Wednesday. The 3d printed parts arrived but at my other address, so I will be able to verify that they are workable by Thursday latest.

I am still fine tuning some design aspects. Namely, would you guys prefer the loading port to be above the breech as in my prototype, or at the front top of the tube (accessible only when the plunger is in the fully forward/locked position)?

The main advantage of having it in the front of the tube is that the feedplug can be fixed in place, so you no longer need to rotate it to open the loading port. Just lock back the feed plunger, load, then release the plunger. The disadvantages are that it might be a bit more unwieldly to load as your hands are farther apart, you'd have to tilt the marker slightly up instead of down when loading, and if you were to get hit directly in the loading port, it may damage the spring. There is also a cosmetic drawback of having a hole in the front/top of the tube.

The traditional style allows you to load with marker pointed down, is less prone to damage from hits, and feels a bit more natural since your hands are close together while loading, giving you better control under pressure. It also allows access to the breech for a squeegee (assuming I revert back to the loading port being directly above the breech port) and in case you need to manually clear a ball (so far, very rare for me). The main disadvantage is the extra step of opening and closing it by hand, and having to sometimes "bump" the marker to clear the ball right above the breech to load smoothly.

Let me know if you guys have a preference.

Also, I took a video over this weekend of using my prototype Pheed at the chrono pit to see if I could force a chop using brittle paint (Marballizers) - I couldn't. I will edit it and post it this week.
apoc4lypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:26 AM   #23 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
I like it at the front for sure.

MCB Feedback
Malafanango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
I'm a fan of the sheridan style springfeed.
Rack the spring back, it locked, feed closest to the breech and the plug closest to you ramps the balls in, close the feedgate, and then unlatch the springfeed. I think the thadadpter setup is a great format.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc4lypse View Post
Also, for you lever and U/C kit guys, I was thinking I'd try to make a set of bases that put the Pheed as close to the barrel as I could, so long as the mounts were structurally capable of it. Is that something you'd be interested in? Keep in mind that if you chose to use this with a standard pump handle, you would need to modify it or the pump handle to make it work.
I will take a lever close one!
1. match 14'' barrel
2. Custom low lever
3. Standard slot
4. Anodized Black
Let me know payment, I didn't see it on the post.
Dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
paintball designs

Updated the list. Dono, no payment needed yet.

Got my materials today and I'm just waiting to inspect the 3D printed parts before going further. I did work up a tube last night using my new design and the changes to the loading port location at the breech side did work as I had hoped - I can load without having to bump up the ball right above the bolt, which I had to do with the prototype. I'll be cutting the plunger slot on that tube tonight and will get my hands on the bases/feedplug on Thursday, so I hope to have the production prototype ready for testing very soon.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:13 AM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Put me down as tentative, once we see how the lever-low ones come out.

I'd want it the same as Dono.

Even with the end of a 14" barrel
Lever low
Standard Slot
Black anno

For preference, I'd prefer the loading to be at the breech end, myself, as I am thinking I'll probably either tap the front end on the top to fit a bead sight or attach a blade sight to it.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #28 (permalink)
paintball designs

Wraith, I added you. If you want to rig your own front sight setup, I don't have to drill a front sight screw hole and I can just include the plug loose and the screw if you end up needing it. Just let me know.

I finally got my hands on the bases and here are a few shots of the standard height - only barely clears the top of the pump handle, and the slot is so narrow that a credit card is a bit of a tight fit. Please ignore the electric tape and the zip ties.

Last edited by apoc4lypse; 10-24-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:01 AM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Yeah, that looks good, and leaving out the screw would be fine.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #30 (permalink)
paintball designs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0C2SBlIzn4

mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » Dealers Forum