mcarterbrown.com  

DIY Tech Specific Tech How-To's for Customizing your Gun

Old 12-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Brass plating

Been thinking about brass plating my Nelly. Seems like an easy enough job. Been reading up on it. I can accomplish this no problem but for those who have done it before. Can aluminium be brass plated???. I would have liked to have the grip plated as well
Old 12-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

No idea but pretty sure 007 are steel not aluminum.
Hence the rusty/pitted barrels

I like where this is going
All Custom Paintball channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/josilk/v...ew=0&flow=grid
ebay feedback
https://myworld.ebay.ca/905josilk
Josilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

I know about the steel. Steel is easy to plate. Well I never done it but it seems easy. But aluminium I ain't sure
Old 12-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

You're talking about nickel plating or making it brass? Either way looks like about the same process except Caswell notes possibly nickel plating first as a base layer. Yes, steel can be done directly but depending on the condition and quality of the result you want a copper base plate might be smart. Electroless isn't "hard" but you do need to be pretty anal about the prep and make sure you have the bath formulation, time and temperature correct.

Aluminum is a pain and it doesn't hold up very well (look at all the pitted and peeling parts around). Nelly's don't have any pure aluminum either. The frame and rail are pot metal. "To plate on zinc die cast surfaces, you must plate with Flash Copper™ first." You really should copper plate then nickel over that. Caswell has some info on doing it. Also the finishing forums are a good place for info.

Plating yourself can be kind of fun but it's not really all that cost effective unless you do quite a few things. By the time you get the chemicals, heaters (or PSUs for electro) and a proper shop area set up for the fumes you're going to be in it a couple hundred bucks on the low end.

On another note, the nelspot body isn't really all that complex. If you want a brass nelspot the cheaper / easier path might be to just make a new brass body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum

Last edited by MaD; 12-03-2014 at 03:41 PM.
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Keeper of souls of bees

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post

Plating yourself can be kind of fun but it's not really all that cost effective unless you do quite a few things. By the time you get the chemicals, heaters (or PSUs for electro) and a proper shop area set up for the fumes you're going to be in it a couple hundred bucks on the low end.
The real cost comes in when you decide to stop plating and have to pay to dispose of your chemicals.
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
The real cost comes in when you decide to stop plating and have to pay to dispose of your chemicals.
Had that issue when I got rid of anodizing stuff. In theory the plating stuff isn't as bad. The Caswell stuff comes with "plate out" pads (just steel wool) which you toss in a hot tank to suck all the metal out then there's a solution added which I assume neutalizes the acid. I wouldn't drink it but they note that it's supposed to be "sink safe" at the end.

Quote:
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
Old 12-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
You're talking about nickel plating or making it brass? Either way looks like about the same process except Caswell notes possibly nickel plating first as a base layer. Yes, steel can be done directly but depending on the condition and quality of the result you want a copper base plate might be smart. Electroless isn't "hard" but you do need to be pretty anal about the prep and make sure you have the bath formulation, time and temperature correct.

Aluminum is a pain and it doesn't hold up very well (look at all the pitted and peeling parts around). Nelly's don't have any pure aluminum either. The frame and rail are pot metal. "To plate on zinc die cast surfaces, you must plate with Flash Copper™ first." You really should copper plate then nickel over that. Caswell has some info on doing it. Also the finishing forums are a good place for info.

On another note, the nelspot body isn't really all that complex. If you want a brass nelspot the cheaper / easier path might be to just make a new brass body.
Oh damn. Lolll. Didn't know it was gonna be that bad loll. Well thanks alot for the tips . I guess I'll scrap the diy plating. At first I wanted cold bluing but I was recommended not too since it doesn't last that long. I'll probably go for either bake on spray or just good old fashion paint
Old 12-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Strip it clean and have it powdercoated.
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/p...ppy-again.html

Quote:
ooops
Old 12-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Was this powder coated in a shop. Or a bake on spray
Old 12-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Actual powdercoat. KPCS on here did it. Walz does powder too I think.

Quote:
ooops

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions » DIY Tech