mcarterbrown.com  

Old 11-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
yeah. too bad I figured it out now instead of 5 months ago lol.
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
I would skip shrouding the feed and just replace it. You already have to drilla great big long bugger of a hole, you might as well just drill it the right size and make it the tube.

You might as well just go trigun, just put in two feeds, they will line up you know.

I think I figured out how to get rid of the cylinder pin altogether. I had a mad thought the other night. Needs experimention along with the other 37 things i have to test out, and the parts I need to complete. Its a never ending story.

Actually, the plan here is that the feedtube just sits in a channel of the main block, so its not like I'd be drilling a hole the whole length to completely cover the feedtube. If I had done a better sketch with a front view I think it would more accurately communicate what I'm talking about. But basically where the feed sits would be a milled slot and when looking at it from the front, roughly half of the tube would be sticking out from the face of the "slab". I'll try and do a couple more crappy MSPaint "blueprints" when I get home to clarify.

Now my question to you Dukie, as the resident engineer, is what equipment would you recommend using to bore the hole for the barrel? Just a drill press and a massive bit? Or is there a better, more accurate way of doing it? Like I said, I have a lot of great tools at my disposal here in the shop, just not a whole hell of a lot of knowledge on the best/proper ways to use 'em...
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Club
Mmm, like a big Dan Wesson PPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Just found this, never realized that the PPC was featured in Fallout3 (never played it, so sue me)...

Now THAT, is effing sexy
FEEDBACK
Old 11-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSPB-Rogue View Post
Actually, the plan here is that the feedtube just sits in a channel of the main block, so its not like I'd be drilling a hole the whole length to completely cover the feedtube. If I had done a better sketch with a front view I think it would more accurately communicate what I'm talking about. But basically where the feed sits would be a milled slot and when looking at it from the front, roughly half of the tube would be sticking out from the face of the "slab". I'll try and do a couple more crappy MSPaint "blueprints" when I get home to clarify.

Now my question to you Dukie, as the resident engineer, is what equipment would you recommend using to bore the hole for the barrel? Just a drill press and a massive bit? Or is there a better, more accurate way of doing it? Like I said, I have a lot of great tools at my disposal here in the shop, just not a whole hell of a lot of knowledge on the best/proper ways to use 'em...
Deep holes are a bit of a pain on a mill since you normally only get a 6" stroke on the quill. Anything greater than 6" means you are going to have to run the knee up and down to clear chips. Read royal time consuming pain in the butt. The DSG bodies were done that way. Takes quite a while and causes me moer scrap bodies than I would like.

A lathe with a 4 jaw would be better. Coolant/gun drills would be better yet since you can do the whole operation in one shot and it will be bang on straight. I picked some up to try it but haven't built any DSG's since. I plan on moving over to the lathe and using it sort of backwards like.

If you can split it so that you only need semi circular grooves along the length then you could easily make it on a mill. I had one modelled up as a top strap the covered the barrel and body, but figured it was just too much of a pin in the butt to make. Everyone wants something different and it would just make for too many variations ( just length alone!!)
Old 11-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

want some extra engineering manpower?
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Weekend Warrior

RTP Fan
I'd definitely get a drv if this shroud existed for it...
llaw999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
want some extra engineering manpower?
If you want to come for a visit, you can play to your hearts content lol. You can teach me since I am a newbie at the CNC side of it

Casting the out of acrylic might be worthwhile......
Old 12-18-2010, 01:48 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
If you want to come for a visit, you can play to your hearts content lol. You can teach me since I am a newbie at the CNC side of it

Casting the out of acrylic might be worthwhile......
Don't be a tease!

I plan on ordering a big ol' block of black nylon and a long enough drill bit to suit my 6" barrel/5-rnd springfeed combo next week. Winter is slow time at work so if I'm going to try doing this now is the time. Wish me luck!
FEEDBACK

Last edited by PistolRogue; 12-18-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Will do, maybe I'll bring ya over one of the new Falcons in a few months and check out the shop!
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Dukie