mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

just bought a DM3...What have i gotten myself into?

So it seems like every time i go into my local paintball shop i end up spending money. so today after i long day of play i decided to drop in to see if they got anything new for the week. I managed to make it out without buying anything but as soon as i got into my car the shop owner shows up at my window with a dm3....Long story short, he says $40 and i say yes. Please keep in mind that i only shoot cockers and have worked on a dm6 for a friend so im somewhat familiar with the newer fuse bolt assemblies and how it works.

So, I need to know as much as i can about a dm3/matrix. here are my main things that i would like to know

1. what kind of regular maintenance does it need and how often does it need it? (like an autococker need a drop or 2 of oil in the vert asa every couple of weeks)
2. do i ever need to break the gun down further that taking out the bolt assembly?
3. How do you know that your LPR is set right?
4. Do i just adjust the velocity through the HPR or somewhere else?
5. where is a goo source to learn about the board?
6. now this one may be stupid but does it have eyes? I have seen videos where they have eyes but i dont think that mine has them or at least they arn't working)
7. what do you think that i might be able to get out of the gun if i sell it?

are there any tips that i should know?

any and all info is helpful, thanks

WTB Eclipse F1 cocker or any undrilled eclipse bodies

ryanhall41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Legendary

Literally everything you want/need to know is in both of the articles in my signature.

As for your actual gun, that predates Dye. Either a Gen-E or a Diablo; the serial number will reveal which. Your gun has had the Dead Air Chamber (DAC) milled off on the left. Very rare to have that done, and pretty damn cool. I wonder if the Demon Gun guy did it. Anyway, moving on, someone swapped out the solenoid wiring from LED to LCD, and put an LCD frame on it as well as the LCD board which became stock in later models.

Quick breakdown on all components that I can see:
  • Diablo or Gen-E body with DAC removed
  • Gen-E LCD Frame
  • LCD Board
  • PBC LPR
  • Bob Long? HPR. Looks like one but I don't know for sure.
  • NDZ angled VAA
  • CP Trigger
  • Blind Gen-E breech
  • A single Aardvark style volumizer on the Live Air Chamber.
  • Dye Stickies

Let me know what color the bolt kit is, or just take a picture of the bolt kit after removal, and I can tell you more. Also just stare at everything in the article and ask questions as needed. These are my favorite guns and I find them ridiculously fun to shoot.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesjackson View Post
Literally everything you want/need to know is in both of the articles in my signature.

As for your actual gun, that predates Dye. Either a Gen-E or a Diablo; the serial number will reveal which. Your gun has had the Dead Air Chamber (DAC) milled off on the left. Very rare to have that done, and pretty damn cool. I wonder if the Demon Gun guy did it. Anyway, moving on, someone swapped out the solenoid wiring from LED to LCD, and put an LCD frame on it as well as the LCD board which became stock in later models.

Quick breakdown on all components that I can see:
  • Diablo or Gen-E body with DAC removed
  • Gen-E LCD Frame
  • LCD Board
  • PBC LPR
  • Bob Long? HPR. Looks like one but I don't know for sure.
  • NDZ angled VAA
  • CP Trigger
  • Blind Gen-E breech
  • A single Aardvark style volumizer on the Live Air Chamber.
  • Dye Stickies

Let me know what color the bolt kit is, or just take a picture of the bolt kit after removal, and I can tell you more. Also just stare at everything in the article and ask questions as needed. These are my favorite guns and I find them ridiculously fun to shoot.
the bolt itself is black and has a venturi face but the stem in the back is blue if that helps at. all. Ill get some pics if it soon.

I thought that the HPR also looked like an older bob long torpedo reg.

the serial number is 21506

Old 10-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Legendary

FreeFlow venturi bolt with 2ms back. Serial number means Gen-E. What color is the rest of the bolt kit? Any acid wash black/purple pieces?
Old 10-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesjackson View Post
FreeFlow venturi bolt with 2ms back. Serial number means Gen-E. What color is the rest of the bolt kit? Any acid wash black/purple pieces?
here is a pic of the entire assembly. let me know if you notice anything else

Old 10-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Legendary

Can't see if the top hat is modded or not from this angle, but the bolt is definitely a venturi face freeflow with the 2ms delay back.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

The key to a matrix is drive it like you stole it. That gun comes from the old school paintball quality it will take what you throw at it. Not like this new school made in china junk and plastic eye pipes that break all the time. Give her a little lube from time to time and she will not let you down. Put a good inline on it and she will be consistent, quiet and accurate, a true sniper rifle in the bush. Think range of a cocker without the arc or drop off. That dm will have more range and a quitter sound signature then the pm6 you have shot in the past.

Once you have the board set to the right dwell (read bones article on how to) the bolt pressure is simple, air up the marker turn the gun on and put your finger into the feedneck / breech and fire. If it hurts then you will probly chop paint give the lpr a quarter turn out fire again, and just keep repeating until it stops to hurt or where you think the bolt pressure will not chop paint.

This gun does not need eyes just check your lpr before you play and your good.
Have the attitude of “if it aint broke don’t fix it” once she is dialed in the only adjustments you will need to make is your chorny speed and your bolt pressure.

She loves air so be ready for filling up after every game. Enjoy your new toy, I think you will be quite impressed.
nels840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tubular!

Very nice. I just picked up a Dye Matrix from Titus that i ended up giving to my cousin. We both had vintage matrixes at one point (although they weren't "vintage" when he had one, lol). Things are beasts. Big, heavy beasts, but by Crom they're so quiet, so little kick, it's scary.

I think it'd look better with a straight vasa and no volumizer, but those are your decisions to make. Whatever you do, don't let that trix slip away from you. Both me & my cousin regret selling our old trixes. At least we added another one to the family.

Last edited by nerdcore; 11-02-2011 at 04:37 PM.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I agree with the guys above. I won't shoot anything that's not a vintage matrix anymore. I've tried many configurations and no matter what they are always fun and shock people with how fast they are. Hope you enjoy it and welcome to the family.
slammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, these guns are sweet, anyone know of a way to turn one into a pump? Haha, I would do it in a heart beat... lol
x Wild Bill x is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Dye