mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
is reloading

Etek 5

Haven't seen much chatter about the Etek 5. Anyone have one?

palerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

i'll have one in a couple of weeks. so far the response seems positive from what i've seen on youtube. i like the lpr setup of this compared to other poppets for sure; should make for a more comfortable grip.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm surprised no one has added to this thread. I'm curious if it really is as much of an improvement as advertised. It's not like the 4s are bad. Personally I'm not loving the look and feel Eclipse has been going to. In my opinion ergonomics are better on the 4s. Still I expect the 5 is going to be another great product. I'm not sure it's enough to convince me to sell my 4. To be fare I haven't shot the 5, only held it and looked up a few things.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
I saw one at the field last week. The LED screen is large...I thought it was the LV1 at first, as they look pretty similar.

I still use an Ego 08 and am one of those who don't think guns have gotten better since then (or maybe the Ego 11). If I was just coming into the sport, I would probably pick up an older Ego before going to the Etek line...for no particular reason.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

The 5 is WAY better then the 4. It's way quieter and has a much better shot, like closer to an Lv1 and not like a cannon like the 4. I work at a shop and we can't hardly keep them in stock. I have people upgrading from the 4 to the 5 all the time.
Jordy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot View Post
I'm surprised no one has added to this thread. I'm curious if it really is as much of an improvement as advertised.
yes, i think so, and that's compared to older egos, not older eteks. the ergonomics are better in the sense there is no lpr sticking out of the front. you can grab the hpr like on older eteks / egos, or you can grab it by the top and barrel like on a spool-valved gun. one one-piece rubber is also nicer than the grip on the geo 3.5 or lv1...it won't twist on you.

it's a fine electro, although the trigger feels kind of...limp? it just has the magnet, no spring, so there is not as much tactile resistance.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

The Etek5 has the same 2-stage ram acceleration profile of the LV1, without the adjustable exhaust or lever on the valve. The Eclipse techs I have talked to said this 2 stage acceleration is a larger factor in the "smoothness" of the shot than the lever, although the lever still helps, as does the adjustable exhaust.

The Etek5 also has o-rings on the bolt, as well as the tapered and webbed soft tip. This soft tip is the same as the GSL/GEO3.5, and is an upgrade being added to the new LV1.1 over the LV1. The webbed face prevents bolt strike on paintballs as well as rollback with smaller paint. The taper on the tip also prevents ball clipping (like the cure series of bolts) and keeps the bolt from damaging itself on very tight bore barrels.

I am a huge supporter of o-rings on bolts. They ensure a good seal and can be replaced when worn, as opposed to non-oring bolts that rely on tight tolerancing. The tight fits can be super smooth, but when damaged by debris cause more drag. O-rings allow the bolt the "float" in the bore instead of drag, and have a looser tolerance that's less susceptible to damage. Clean and lightly lubed o-rings don't have any noticeable extra drag. There aren't really any drawbacks to using o-rings on bolts.

The grips are nice, and the one piece foregrip doesn't spin, but is fairly difficult to remove, and is nowhere near as comfy or soft as those one the LV1 and GEO series.

The triggers vary from gun to gun. They are adjustable to a degree, so it should be able to be made to your liking.

Now for the things I don't like:

The Etek3/4 had LT and AM variants, with the AM (all metal) being my preference. While the AM was more expensive, it just felt better to me, and was worth the price difference. The LT (LighT?) version didn't seem to have any strength drawbacks (besides the occasional snapped feedneck when overtightened in below freezing conditions). The LT used GrN (Glass reinforced Nylon) for the frame, feedneck/lever, ASA knob, eye covers, and trigger. Unfortunately for my taste, the Etek5 only comes in one version, and its the LT style using the GrN material in those components.

The stock barrel is Shaft4 compatible, and is the less milled style seen on Etek4 and Etha models. It still has a .693 bore back. You have to buy high dollar to get a really useful Eclipse stock barrel is guess.

And finally, the Etek5 uses a different ASA mount than previous models, making the POPs ASA non-compatible. Eclipse is making an adapter, but right now you have to use the factory ASA or custom make something yourself. (The factory ASA isn't bad, but if you're using Eclipse, you should have a POPs!)

I've shot the Etek5 a fair amount. It handles very brittle paint like an top of the line high-end marker. It has a very "smooth" shot, much quieter than previous models as well. The ergonomics and ease of use are very nice as well.

Overall, I really like the Etek5. It's on par with the Axe in my opinion, with each marker having its own merits. I prefer the Etek.

Planet Eclipse Tech and Planet Eclipse Service Center. Please PM me for any warranty work or other Planet Eclipse service needs.

I also work on other markers, PM for info.

Dealer for: Planet Eclipse, Ninja, GI/Empire/Tippmann/etc, Dye, Exalt, GoG, Valken, HK, GXG, CP, Push

PM me if you're looking for something. No, I will not sell it to you for cheaper than everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
Part of owning a cocker is problem solving
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Brass and Wood Fan
I feel like the Drone 2 is probably a better value, unless you don't want to go macroless. The Etek 5 would have been my go to in this price range if it wasn't for the Drone.
Hobbes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Panda with a Gun

CCM Fan
using a better matched barrel (in my case a dw with insert) mine shot like a brand new lv1..or very close to it

my only complaint was that the efficiency was not great for a poppit...i was averaging 1300 to 1400 shots on a 68 filled to 4k

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Eclipse