mcarterbrown.com  

Electronic and Mechanical Found a steal of a deal? Share the wealth! Link them here

Old 09-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Power Lurker

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
It is automated, I talked to them today about it. Or at least this current round of issues is from the automated system. They have people looking for inappropriate stuff too.

There was just a whole bevy of items taken down that shouldn't have been. Something changed.
They are looking into the issue supposed to call me back tomorrow.

MCB Feedback
Old PBN Feedback
hellion360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

One of the big... if you'll pardon the expression triggers for this (I suspect) was the fact that eBay was, for a time just recently, literally flooded with "silencer kits", all listed under terms like "fuel filters" and "solvent traps" and the like.

Some were "kits" where the baffles and endcaps weren't drilled, but a lot were listed as "fully assembled", using a 'core' baffle pretty much identical to any typical CNC'ed one-piece suppressor.

A car-guy board linked to one of the ads in a sort of "can you believe they're getting away with this?" way- and that particular ad, as I recall, had racked up nearly six hundred sales(!!)

Looking at the ad showed, of course, a bunch of other "you might also be interested in..." links to other complete or kit units- they all listed a Fram or Napa fuel-filter number to disguise what they actually were. (The ad I saw actually had a photo of it attached to some small single-cylinder motorcycle engine, as if it were part of the fuel system or something.)

Looking for the same thing now shows they're all gone- or at least, not as easy to find, if they're still there under other spurious names.

I would bet a big paycheck that eBay got contacted by the Feds who said two things- one, get rid of those ads and stop new ones from showing up, and two, we'll need a comprehensive list of everyone that bought one of those, including names, addresses and logins.

I would not be surprised one bit if people were already starting to get friendly visits from some nicely suited gentlemen that just want to ask some questions.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
They just removed and auction for rail mounted fore-grips.

www.okcompanypaintball.com

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
scphantom9195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
I need this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scphantom9195 View Post
They just removed and auction for rail mounted fore-grips.
They've been getting called out in the media so it's only going to get worse.
https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...lt-rifle-parts

Always looking for a Woodland Camo F1 Illustrator. Got an extra?
Rusty Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Brass View Post
They've been getting called out in the media so it's only going to get worse.
https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...lt-rifle-parts
I have not made it through all of the article yet but it is very slanted towards anti firearms. This is not good at all.
ilivlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
trophy husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivlife View Post
I have not made it through all of the article yet but it is very slanted towards anti firearms. This is not good at all.
It does seem unnecessarily harsh. I mean, selling silencers on eBay is definitely bad. But a rifle grip? Doesn't seem like a big deal. I can't imagine that there will ever be a scenario where some shooter thinks to himself, "Well, I was gonna go on a rampage next week, but I can't get those grips I really want on eBay. Oh well. I guess I'll go pick flowers instead."
rawbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbutter View Post
It does seem unnecessarily harsh. I mean, selling silencers on eBay is definitely bad. But a rifle grip? Doesn't seem like a big deal. I can't imagine that there will ever be a scenario where some shooter thinks to himself, "Well, I was gonna go on a rampage next week, but I can't get those grips I really want on eBay. Oh well. I guess I'll go pick flowers instead."

That's crazy talk.

Next thing you'll be saying there won't be a scenario where a shooter goes "well I was going to go on a rampage, but I saw that gun free zone sign so I guess I'll go volunteer at the local shelter instead."
apamburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

It's strange because I follow a few Wichester searches, and parted guns are sold all the time. I have even seen a full gun just missing one or two small parts sell on ebay.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

The main thing here is that eBay is, for the most part, just playing CYA. Basically thay want to be able to show that, if some nut ball buys a "banned item" and goes on a rampage, they did what they could be reasonably expected to do to stop it.

Yeah, all the owners and operators of eBay are lefties and would be happy to ban all the things, but for the most part it's pure CYA.

On the other hand, I love to see this kind of thing. Why? I'm a big proponent of small business, the mom-and-pop, brick-and-mortar stores. Yes, it's nice to be able to mail-order obscure things that no local store would have carried even in the pre-internet days.

But being a small businessman myself, I empathize with the people trying to run small businesses, more and more of which are getting squeezed out by big-box retailers, even bigger wholesalers, and of course internet sellers.

Having your biggest competitors voluntarily ban sales of some of your most common products- magazines, grips, AR parts, etc- is a huge boon to local gun stores.

Yes, it's a problem when, as in most of California, and Seattle, and Chicago, etc. that there is no local store to buy from, but there's still plenty of smaller individual sellers. (I hate it when people complain that, just because eBay and Amazon aren't selling it, that it basically can't be bought.)

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:02 AM   #20 (permalink)

eBay said it was an automated removal and after two days they released the listing to my unsold list. I do not believe this was an automated removal. I highly doubt they have image recognition and the NLP training data to pinpoint these listings. All of the eBay agents I spoke with could not distinguish between paintball and firearms. Why even have a paintball section then? I get the abuse and the need for deniability, but train better robots or humans. Secondly, the whole online tax thing is going to change things, I think retailers like amazon were lobbying behind it. When we start paying local sales tax on all eBay purchases...

p.s. hellion360 they will never call you back
latches109 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Ebay » Electronic and Mechanical