mcarterbrown.com  

Empire Mini - Axe - Empire Sniper

Old 08-28-2018, 08:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Baller

Step 1: change all o-rings, which i think youve done.

Step 2: put that poppit spring back in if you havent already (that was weird).

Step 3: have you (or anyone else) changed any of the open or close dwell settings? Sometimes the issues you're describing can be symptomatic of the close dwell not being long enough.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Purveyor of STBBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkGryphyn View Post
The second is makes me think you have the newer ball valve ninja tanks, which don't play well with Empire ASAs.
I have two of the newer Ninja tanks. However, the issue was with the older style tank. It could be the tank reg. Unlikely as I noticed no fluctuation on the ASA/reg gauge and it was rebuilt last spring, but I will confirm with another tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsGunShow View Post
Step 1: change all o-rings, which i think youve done.

Step 2: put that poppit spring back in if you havent already (that was weird).

Step 3: have you (or anyone else) changed any of the open or close dwell settings? Sometimes the issues you're describing can be symptomatic of the close dwell not being long enough.
1) Rings were replaced on every moving part. Didn't replace the ones on things such as the back cap as it wasn't leaking. I can always replace them if needed.

2) I threw my spare spring in and ordered a few more. I have no idea how this was missing as it was never torn down before last week, but it is possible that I somehow overlooked it. Although, the issue with putting a shot out on air up existed before this chrono issue.

3) I haven't changed any settings on the board since new, but have since reset it.

Weather is finally clearing up for tomorrow. Let's hope whatever the issue is, it was fixed.
Drunkonunleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Purveyor of STBBs

Put it on the chrono today, shooting consistent 270 +/- 5 FPS. No drop off while ramping, no "hot" first shots, fail to feed, or balls being spit out on air up.

Not sure what the problem was exactly, but I'm leaning toward a combination of the missing poppet spring and a dirty solenoid.

In case anyone ever experiences the same issue(s), this is what I did:
  • New o-rings on all moving parts (bolt, bolt guide, and poppet).
  • Replaced poppet spring.
  • Clean and reset solenoid.
  • New Energizer E2 battery.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Paroxysm

There is another gotcha with reg creep. The reg itself can be ill adjusted and not be set to 'zero' correctly, so that it allows air to slip by slowly. This can happen with someone unfamiliar with the gun and trying to adjust the velocity and adjusting the wrong thing. There do exist somewhere instructions on how to reset the reg to zero.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Purveyor of STBBs

Interesting. I believe the Axe manual touched upon that a bit (it's been awhile...), I'll have to look at that. The reg hasn't been touched since new and I've put ~30-40k rounds through it, but that's not to say it wasn't wrong out of the box.

This is what I get for buying a chrono for home use... The thing has only seen a field chrono station twice. It may have been doing this the whole time and I've never noticed.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Paroxysm

The amount of testing I do.. a home Chrono would be really valuable to me.

Keep an eye on it. The minis, axe, tm7 prefer LESS grease in their system. Using too much can cause issues like gumming up the solenoid.

A friend tried running some money poo grease (or similar name). Took him multiple attempts to clean it out of his gun as it would keep sticking. Had to stop the entire system. Only use dow33 (like smartparts "sl33k" or the grease that came with it.)

Last edited by Scougar; 09-10-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Scougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Purveyor of STBBs

Realized that I never updated this after our tournament last month...

The thing shot great. No issues.

My only complaint about this thing is that it works so well (especially considering the price). I'd like to jump up to a 160R, but there's no real reason to.

Fortunately, I have the STO in about 1000 pieces..

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Empire