mcarterbrown.com  

Empire Mini - Axe - Empire Sniper

Old 08-24-2018, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Purveyor of STBBs

Mini GS High FPS first shot + dropoff.

During my last outing, my Mini GS developed some problems. When turning the ASA on, it would pop a round out at VERY low velocity. This would be after sitting off/degassed between rounds. After which, it would take a few trigger pulls for the gun to fire, but then would finish out the round without issue. The problem persisted with all three of my Ninja 68/4500 tanks, all with at least 3500 fills.

I chalked the firing issue up to dirty eyes, and proceeded to teardown/clean/lube everything.

Put it on the X-Radar today, and noticed the first shot at around 290 FPS. The next few shots would be right around 283, and it would drop to 268 while ramping. Input pressure was rock solid at 200 FPS on the reg gauge.

As of writing, the only variable I have not isolated was the pressure drop with a different tank, but the issue didn't exist when teching any of my other markers with the same tank.

Is this kind of inconsistency normal?
Drunkonunleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Marathoner

Do you have a spring-biased poppet?
When Simon sent me an OOPS to test, mine would pop a weak shot when airing up with a non spring-biased poppet.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

I commented to your post on PBN, but sounds like a sticky noid to me.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Purveyor of STBBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosgarage57 View Post
I commented to your post on PBN, but sounds like a sticky noid to me.
Thanks, I just saw that. Will look for a teardown and mess with it tonight. Input pressure was a steady 200 PSI, so it doesn't seem like it would be the regulator (upon first thought at least).

I'll rebuild the noid, pick up a fresh battery, and re-ring it.

Part of me was thinking that the little plastic restrictor was in backwards/upside down, but considering the "fail to feed"/misfire existed before the teardown, I doubt this is the issue.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Reach out to Ross at Boss paintball. He helped me with mine a while back. Empire told me to contact him when I had issues.

rjskate@rochester.rr.com
Old 08-24-2018, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Purveyor of STBBs

Will do, thanks!

Someone in the Mini/Axe Facebook group said it was probably a noid too. Pulling that apart as we speak, and I'll email him if that doesn't fix things.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Purveyor of STBBs

Update: I pulled the noid apart and it looked fine, but I cleaned everything anyway and replaced rings on all of the moving parts just to be safe. It also appears as though the poppet spring was missing...

The noid clicks on first pull. I'll air it up tomorrow and see what happens.

Last edited by Drunkonunleaded; 08-25-2018 at 02:51 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
twitchy

Funny, I went out yesterday and had FSDO on my GS first shot in chrono, but after that was shooting 280-295 consistently, really just swings from crap paint. Regulator sits at 190. Marker is almost a year old. I don't turn my ASA off in between rounds so I didn't get to confirm if it happened again. I clean my marker after every day of play, though I have never taken apart the solenoid.

About a month ago I ordered a new solenoid from ANS because I noticed my trigger pulls started to sound pretty weak with the eyes off (I know you're not supposed to do this but I usually just do one or two clicks when I put everything back together to make sure everything is operating OK). Yes I know I can just take apart and clean but I have spares of most of the parts just in case of failure during the day..and because they are pretty cheap.

I'll test it out over the weekend and see if it happens again. Let us know what your results are!
Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Every mini based gun I've ever seen will pop a ball out when aired up. That is not an issue. Shoot down, on the other hand might be. Shoot slower. Issue solved.
Carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Bad Juju

Responding to the original post, in my opinion you have two issues going on. The first, as mentioned before, is the solenoid being dirty and sticking. The second is makes me think you have the newer ball valve ninja tanks, which don't play well with Empire ASAs. Screw them all the way in then back them out 1/4 turn so the top of the regulator doesn't seal against the octagonal brass pin guide in the ASA. That way enough air will get through to prevent shoot down.
ClarkGryphyn is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Empire