mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 01-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
Negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
Your theory about the sellout of existing inventory makes sense, especially if they were having them made in batches. I didn't even know that they had released them.

Do you know where he has been publishing his data? He published some stuff here but, I haven't seen anything from him in a long time.
Here is one about marker consistency: https://carmatech.net/Studies/Consistency.pdf

There was another for the ASTM but right now I am unable to find it.
Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Thanks- I remember that one. Not an ideal test to compare the performance of different markers but, that wasn't it's intent. I saw the ASTM data here. I believe Lou Arthur posted it.

In my mind, to do a marker comparison, you would use the same barrel on the different markers which, they could have given that hammerhead barrels were available for most, if not all of those guns. AC-threaded ones could've come from Carmatech those days, A-5 threaded ones were available from HH. IIRC, that would've only left out the Hammer 7 as I don't think HH had one back then.

One thing that I want to be clear about is that the MCS test is a crock.
  • To compare accuracy you need to lock down the gun, and you really shouldn't be shooting outside (due to wind, which they 'think' they were compensating for).
  • A sample size of three for FPS consistency or even less for accuracy does not suffice.
  • Not adjusting the chrono for the accuracy portion of the test is problematic because a faster projectile will be less affected by air currents (even less powerful than what is observed in the video).

I'm also getting a kick out of their "Shaped Projectile Optimized" barrels. What the hell did they do to those barrels to "optimize" them?
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #23 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I think the bore size from .687+ on the old HH barrels to .684 is the "optimization".
Spyder E-MR5 - for those huge scenario games
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
Negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post

In my mind, to do a marker comparison, you would use the same barrel on the different markers which, they could have given that hammerhead barrels were available for most, if not all of those guns. AC-threaded ones could've come from Carmatech those days, A-5 threaded ones were available from HH. IIRC, that would've only left out the Hammer 7 as I don't think HH had one back then.
Probably the best comparison back then would have either been to use the Lapco barrel for all (was available in all magfed threads), or use a HH BattleStixx with a .686 fin (also available in all magfed threads).

The part that stuck out to me about that test was that he used a Lapco .683 for the SSR and the stock barrel for the Hammer 7.

Of course the standard deviation goes up on the SSR with the tighter barrel. David claims this is because he felt it was what most of the SSR owners used, but I'm wondering if it wasn't because the SSR was encroaching on the consistency numbers of the SAR-12, at nearly half the cost.

The other was the Hammer 7, which was an atrocity to use the stock barrel for. Stock barrel for a $60 marker? Of course it under performs.

Either way I am excited about the new barrel and hope someone is able to do some independent testing with different lengths of it and other markers.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:32 PM   #25 (permalink)

i didn't really believe that sar12 was any better then my ssr.
But i did a not so scientific test, and it turns out the sar was slightly better with a grouping of about 18 inches, and about 25 for the ssr at 70 yards. the test was outdoors with no wind, both guns shot from a caldwell lead sled, using unsorted FS. blue for the sar and the orange for the ssr since the both weighted and measured the same. sar was using the stock barrel and the ssr was using the lapco .683

ssr at 70 yards

sar at 70 yards

my setup

feed back
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post2897921
Biscuits798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits798 View Post
i didn't really believe that sar12 was any better then my ssr.
But i did a not so scientific test, and it turns out the sar was slightly better with a grouping of about 18 inches, and about 25 for the ssr at 70 yards. the test was outdoors with no wind, both guns shot from a caldwell lead sled, using unsorted FS. blue for the sar and the orange for the ssr since the both weighted and measured the same. sar was using the stock barrel and the ssr was using the lapco .683
Would be interested to see the same test with both markers having the same barrel and both running on HPA (looks like the SSR is running on 12 grams). 25" vs 18" at 70 yards is not a huge difference in my book, especially with unsorted FSR.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

as an aside Carmatech will be offering different lengths and multiple thread types for their nemesis barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
When I started doing shells for my revolvers the apparent thing i noticed was the hole size in the cartridge controlled the velocity of my paint.
TL;DR hole size controls how fast balls get spent
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

Does anyone have any solid evidence that length affects accuracy with the Hammerhead Barrel?
I need a longer barrel with this setup, and perhaps a different tip will do.
Rover Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
Negative

How long do you need it to be? General consensus is that the most markers perform best at 14" barrel length.

A Lapco Hushshot tip is a great choice for a longer looking barrel. I have one on my SSR and I've had great results while playing. Most opponents say the were unable to hear it when I shot them out.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

Thanks yeah I have a 12” and it’s not long enough for me to unscrew it without taking off my freefloat
Rover Lead is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike