mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 01-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Paroxysm

I was always under the impression that the heatcore on the M17 was the most consistent. It just uses A LOT of air. The T15 has no secondary regulation whatsoever so is entirely at the mercy of the bottle reg quality. It still shoots extremely well, but I wouldn't put it down as a sniper.

The MG100... well..... how about you test it when it comes out.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedummy View Post
This is the most comprehensive consistency testing of FSR-shooters currently available -

www.shapedprojectiletesting.com/Consistency.pdf
Awesome work.

I'm a little sad to see that the Spyder MR5 and Hurricane are not on the list. Fantastic work though.

One very interesting piece of data I got out of this is that the Milsig really likes 280 fps, and every other marker really likes ~275-278 fps.

FSR are so consistent that it really doesn't matter what you shoot (except the MCS DMR ). Set your FPS to 275 and you'll have a good day.

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Right in the EAR HOLE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scougar View Post
I was always under the impression that the heatcore on the M17 was the most consistent. It just uses A LOT of air. The T15 has no secondary regulation whatsoever so is entirely at the mercy of the bottle reg quality. It still shoots extremely well, but I wouldn't put it down as a sniper.

The MG100... well..... how about you test it when it comes out.
How would the M17 with Heat Core be the most consistent, but waste air?
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fascinating read.

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
Rover Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

Looking at the results for the 468...

Which is why I use mine a small exactly what it is intended for... a roundball trainer. I wonder if the bolt action 468 is any more consistent.

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
Rover Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
It uses a lot of air to cycle, but uses the same amount of air majority of the time, so you'll see the same results from the barrel... consistently. Otherwise known as a gas hog.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
Wasting air (being inefficient) has no bearing on consistency. For example... if the bolt vents fires the ball, leaves the barrel but then the time before the bolt retracts is too long and is still able to vent air... at that point it is having no impact on the ball, but just wasting air. The M17 has a reputation for being consistent... but is very inefficient. Some people say the system gets more efficient after use, but I honestly doubt it it makes that much of an impact.

I do at some point want to buy one (when I'm feeling flush) purely to test out some things, see if it gets more efficient with wear, and see what I can do and why it is wasting air. It is an based on an old design though I thought.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Right in the EAR HOLE!!!

Quote:
Wasting air (being inefficient) has no bearing on consistency. For example... if the bolt vents fires the ball, leaves the barrel but then the time before the bolt retracts is too long and is still able to vent air... at that point it is having no impact on the ball, but just wasting air. The M17 has a reputation for being consistent... but is very inefficient. Some people say the system gets more efficient after use, but I honestly doubt it it makes that much of an impact.

I do at some point want to buy one (when I'm feeling flush) purely to test out some things, see if it gets more efficient with wear, and see what I can do and why it is wasting air. It is an based on an old design though I thought.
Well that makes perfect sense. Thanks.
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:

Pretty sure it's basically an over sized Mag. It's a hefty chunk of metal so it probably just takes a good bit of air to operate.

A longer barrel I heard is better than a shorter one with the Milsigs, has something to do with the pressure between the valve and ball.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover Lead View Post
Looking at the results for the 468...

Which is why I use mine a small exactly what it is intended for... a roundball trainer. I wonder if the bolt action 468 is any more consistent.
It wasn't - still isn't IMO oob - with a bit of tuning/springing and overall aftermarket "maintenance" it can be in the +/- 1to2 range(and yes IME this includes the PTR.

The "M17" will have a new bolt from now on also ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Brown
Tom from MILSIG Direct Europe has been doing a lot of experimenting lately on lowering the pressure of the HEAT Core operating system. This is the first product the factory has adopted as a result of his experiments. The mounting bracket for the Firing Pin ( the sealing surface for the Orange o-ring ) inside the Bolt has been changed. This allows a higher gas flow, reduced internal pressures, higher velocity, and more shots per tank.
and saying the "heatcore" is basically an oversized 'mag is a bit like saying the same about the TiPX/TA stuff - all blow-forwards are yes basically the same ... air reg bolt spring = boomBOOMboom ... wouldn't say they are 'mags though oversized or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
When I started doing shells for my revolvers the apparent thing i noticed was the hole size in the cartridge controlled the velocity of my paint.
TL;DR hole size controls how fast balls get spent
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike