mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 07-19-2016, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Bike Tech Issue

I am really happy with my (new to me) 87 Bianchi bike.
I paid a bike shop to do a "tune-up." They lubricated everything and gave it a cleaning. They also installed a new front brake line, brake pads, and calibrating the gear shifting. When I picked it up, I was warned that the chain was too short. They said the bike couldn't get on the big gear in the front and the big gear in the back at the same time. This also puts the most left/right tension on the chain.
First ride on the tuned bike there was a big problem. While slowly climbing and shifting on a steep hill, the back wheel became cockeyed. The wheel rubber was actually rubbing against the frame. This happened before the tune too, and it was the main reason for the tune. I took the bike back, and the mechanic looked at it and claimed that I must have using the large gear up front and almost the large gear in the back. I don't think that I was.
Anybody know what causes this problem? Is it a small chain problem?

Last edited by jellyghost; 07-19-2016 at 09:48 PM.
jellyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

My experience is limited, but on my Mongoose the rear wheel is seated fully into a channel, and can't move inwards regardless.

Inline Edit:

From what I've seen if I found the right bike, the channels for your rear wheel point forwards, so it seems like the chain could actually twist the wheel.
RuleOfSines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

Follow up:
Do you have a picture of how it is mounted? Is the entire wheel/hub twisting?
RuleOfSines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
Bikes aren't made to shift on a steep hill, so there is one problem. Select the gear you want before you start the climb if you can, especially on older bikes with worn out bits. A new chain that is the right length would likely help, as long as your rings aren't too worn.

As said ^, your wheel is shifting/flexing into your frame. If it's doing it with the pedal stokes and rebounding, you're just putting too much power into the pedals and flexing the hub. The solutions for that would be choosing an easier gear or getting a stiffer bike. If it pull over and stays, then your wheel is just loose.
How to get around UPS fees
mtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

The entire wheel axel etc is twisting, but I wouldn't think that the force of my pedaling should be able to cause that. This is happening during a slow climb (like walking speed), and I am putting max force on the pedal. I wonder if it is missing a locking washer or something that should better grip the frame. I know the quick release is sufficiently tight.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
Bikes aren't made to shift on a steep hill, so there is one problem. Select the gear you want before you start the climb if you can, especially on older bikes with worn out bits. A new chain that is the right length would likely help, as long as your rings aren't too worn.

As said ^, your wheel is shifting/flexing into your frame. If it's doing it with the pedal stokes and rebounding, you're just putting too much power into the pedals and flexing the hub. The solutions for that would be choosing an easier gear or getting a stiffer bike. If it pull over and stays, then your wheel is just loose.
Ok. It is not rebounding. it is like a bang, and I have to get off the bike to put the wheel back in its proper place. How do you fix a loose wheel?
Old 07-19-2016, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
The entire wheel axel etc is twisting, but I wouldn't think that the force of my pedaling should be able to cause that. This is happening during a slow climb (like walking speed), and I am putting max force on the pedal. I wonder if it is missing a locking washer or something that should better grip the frame. I know the quick release is sufficiently tight.
That's the important part. Try to pedal in a gear that is faster and easier. I had the same problem with steep hills on an old single speed, old parts are sometimes just not up to high power. Even new bikes aren't always good for that, if I pedal hard enough on my cross bike I can flex the tire into the cargo rack. This is one of the big reasons that through axles have become the norm on mountain bikes and are finding their way onto the road.

There shouldn't be anything between the hub and the frame by the way.

Edit-And now that I read your previous post, you can disregard most of what I have said. I would say that a wheel on a bike with room to move in the stays shouldn't have a quick release on it, you probably just can't get it tight enough. Are you running with the wheel all the way forward?

Last edited by mtaylor; 07-19-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
That's the important part. Try to pedal in a gear that is faster and easier. I had the same problem with steep hills on an old single speed, old parts are sometimes just not up to high power. Even new bikes aren't always good for that, if I pedal hard enough on my cross bike I can flex the tire into the cargo rack. This is one of the big reasons that through axles have become the norm on mountain bikes and are finding their way onto the road.

There shouldn't be anything between the hub and the frame by the way.
Ok. It sounds like I just need to become a better rider!
Old 07-19-2016, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
And make sure your wheel is tight.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

Question, is the wheel always going into the same place on the frame every time? Thinking there might be a chance the wheel on the back might be built improperly for the frame, not centred correctly.

Can we see a photo the dropout on the bike?
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness