mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 01-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Autocannibal

Could use a bit of input

So I've been making some decent gains but want to push things to the next level. For the past year I've been eating under maintenance and dropping abount a pound per week while lifting 3 days a week. So far I've dropped 60 pounds (from 295 to 235) and have been following rippetoe's starting strength program.

At the end of 2016 my lifts were:

Squat 3x5 270
Bench 3x5 200
Overhead Press 3x5 135
Deadlift 1x5 305

Although the numbers aren't huge I'm pretty happy with the progress so far. At the start of this year I dropped my daily calories from 2000 to 1850 to increase the rate of fat loss but this past week I failed all my lifts and even with a deload of 10 pounds across the board it was rough.

Do you guys think the lifts will bounce back after my body adjusts to the change in calories or is there just not enough fuel in the tank?

edit:

Macros: 185g protein, 139g carbs, 62g fat
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you take in more calories you are going to build muscle rather than burn fat, so the results won't be as drastic on the scale. IMHO if you are going strictly for weight loss it's probably best to just power through with fewer calories. Maybe more cardio and less heavy lifting. Your body will eventually adjust. Just don't kill yourself.

My WTB Thread
craigjacob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
IMHO, losing weight is half diet and half exercise. You need to get your metabolism up and let it do tbe work. What is your weight goal? Maybe it is time to mix uo your routine?
Old 01-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yeah they may bounce back. I've generally maintained my PRs or lost very little and in some cases even kept increasing my PRs while on a cut. My recommendation is a CKD if you want to lose fat and still maintain/somewhat increase your strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aka "wagz" on the field
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Autocannibal

Thanks for the responses guys. The goal is overall complete body recomp, my weight has been dropping steadily while my muscle gains have been building up. I'd like to keep this going, right now my goal is to hit 200lbs and reassess when I get there.

I was doing interval training on rest days but from what I've read over the last year the impact on overall body composition will come from nutrition and lifting to retain muscle while in a dramatic deficit.

Keto is an interesting suggestion, any particular reason for the cyclical reccomendation instead of just full time?
Old 01-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Because your body can't handle it full time if you are working out. Overtime your body will sort of mimic the effects of hyperthyroidism and your Testosterone will drop. Your cortisol levels will go up and you will begin to store more fat and muscle will stall. Cycling does two things if you really hammer down some carbs on those days. It's restores your glycogen which helps you keep progressing in the gym(you'll probably still stall eventually, I did) and it also restokes your metabolism. I've actually now stopped doing that and I'm experimenting with a TKD styled bulk. Essentially I'm only eating carbs peri workout now. But I'm no longer doing a refeed. I tried to do both but I found because my glycogen wasn't being depleted by the time of the refeed I was just packing on fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aka "wagz" on the field
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Autocannibal

Gotcha, I'll read up some more on it. Right now nutrition is pretty solid and my macros are tight so plenty of protein available. I took this week off from lifts to allow for adjustment and recovery, everything was ridiculously sore still after 2 rest days which is not the case when I'm eating at 2000.

Plan for Monday is to deload everything by 10% and continue with linear progression from there, if I fail the deload sets on Monday I'll definitely have to make a change.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness