mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 09-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Not quite sure where to start...

Hi all,

SO I never used to have an issue with weight, testosterone does some amazing things for metabolism. I used to be able to eat anything, drink anything, no problem.

But since I've had my testosterone reduced to (or less than) a normal chick, I've struggled with weight. BMI is out the window (other than it's bs) as I have DD's...

I'm by no means "Big" But I'd like to work on the less flattering weight, tummy, etc. I'm 204 lbs which was fine when it was muscle, but as my arms and such have lost significant muscle mass, but weight stayed the same...

Anyway, I've basically cut soda. Cut candy, cut most stuff that tastes good. Yet, nada. Increased water intake, more salads, less carbs.

Work limits my availability to work out. It is a stationary job 9-7 plus drive times.

Any insight would be appreciated. I'd like to drop like 40 lbs end goal.

Thanks!

-Cassie
Old 09-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

My wife struggles with maintaining her weight sometimes and hates that I can eat everything and not fluctuate. One of the things she does is to do a little bit of working out in the mornings or before bed, it could be 30 min or an hour, yoga or resistance training. Doing something is better than nothing, if you want quick results obviously more intense working out is in order.

She also cut out the sugars and reduced other tasty things, we also cut out other forms of sugar like corn syrup and such from our pantries.

One of my previous co-workers cut out soda and lots of other sweets without working out. After about a month her body adjusted and she lost a bunch of weight. She just had water and had a similar food consumption to what you described you are doing now.

I have heard other people finding ways to increase their metabolism with B vitamins but haven't looked into it much myself.

Much luck to you!
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
A Secret Police Member

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Everyone is different, need to find the diet that works for you. I made a deal with the doctor that if I lose 20 lbs, he will take me off my blood pressure meds. I can try, right? Anyways, I drop most carbs as I can, stayed away from the processed junk and no snacks during the day or at night except fruit and in 3 weeks dropped 18 lbs. My wife did the same and hasn't lost a pound.

I do think the biggest thing you can do is drop as much of the processed junk as possible. Yes, they are yummy (I so miss cookies and potato chips) but using them as a treat when you reached a goal makes them that much yummier! It takes a little thought, but easy to do.
FLGGӘNKбČHILĮN
Not "Mr. Hoity Toity's" brother
Hector Lives!
Its all appricots & sunshine baby, appricots & sunshine..
DPrekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Deplorable...

make exercise a part of your life and you (really) ALWAYS have 20-30 minutes for exercise
how long was that episode of your favorite show? watch it while on a treadmill.

3500 calories in a pound of fat
7 days a week
500 calories (loss) per day by exercise and proper eating
in a week, lose a pound of fat
in a year, lose 40-50 pounds

for the record, i'm a daily runner so your results will vary
but i'm approaching 50 years old and can pass for a 30-something...

past & present https://www.freewebs.com/non-inflammable/

my feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Barrack Hussein Obama: The biggest fraud ever perpetrated upon the American people

freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Freedom, I'm trying. Finding tine is hard.
I leave for work at 730, get home with good traffic at 8.
Typically eat, and immediately pass out.
Rinse repeat. :/ this job kills my soul.

I'm gonna try when I get home. See if I can swing something. Get the ball rolling so to speak.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Deplorable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyQuinn View Post
Freedom, I'm trying. Finding tine is hard.
I totally hear you but the trick is re-thinking your "self-imposed" reality.

Awhile back when I was working nights, I had no time and two kids in diapers. I figured out I could run in my jeans to save 5 minutes; why change your clothes twice?
I would start the mental psyche on my ride home to get ready for a run and stretch as I got out of the car.
I'd walk around the house while stretching and get my show running on the treadmill and run in the jeans I worked my shift in.

Coming home from work and collapsing is pretty typical (i don't blame you) but it will be a black-hole you can never escape.
Our bodies were designed to move and the more you do move, the better you'll feel and i'm not even talking about the benefits of exercise towards stress relief.
My wife still gets pissed when i "go see the other woman" for 45 minutes. Too bad for her, I'm getting my run in no matter what...

Maybe you shouldn't go right home after work? Meet your SO at the gym for a work-out and then get a meal?

Barrack Hussein Obama: The biggest fraud ever perpetrated upon the American people

Last edited by freedom; 09-06-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
i totally hear you but the trick is re-thinking your self-imposed reality.

awhile back (two kids in diapers) i figured out i could run in my jeans to save time. why change your clothes twice?

i would start the mental psyche on my ride home to get ready for a run and stretch as i got out of the car.
i'd walk around the house while stretching and get my show running on the treadmill and run in the jeans i worked my shift in.
when i was working nights, i'd still figure out how to squeeze it in; my wife still gets pissed when i "go see the other woman" for 45 minutes...

coming home from work and collapsing is pretty typical (i don't blame you) but it will be a black-hole you can never get out of.
our bodies were designed to move and the more you do move, the better you will feel and i'm not even talking about the benefits of exercise towards stress relief.
Alright, I'm gonna get some done as soon as I get home. Try and avoid the black out. Any Tips for first jump into exercising? Quick and easy ones, etc.? Introduction so to speak.

And how important are actual running shoes vs whatever boot I have?

Silly and dumb. But I need to get on this

Old 09-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Deplorable...

Quote:
Any Tips for first jump into exercising?
your first couple days into a week or so should be a slow but steady walk (with weights afterwards if possible).
don't over do it even if you feel great...

figure out how much time you want to start with: 30 minutes is fine but you will plateau quickly.
if 30 minutes is all you have, that's fine; up your intensity level and start carrying weights in your hands while walking.

after you get intune with your body, then think about buying good foot wear; blisters ruin everything.
i have a gross amount of old running shoes that i still wear because finding a shoe you like is very personal.

start out this way: walk, fast walk, fast walk with weights, slow trot, jog, fast jog, then running...
the "more fun" you make it, the easier it will be to do it every day. good tunes and good company really help.
getting to where you are "running" could take a year or just a few months depending on lots of variables

if you go to the gym to lift weights, then the (walk-jog-run) times all change. do weights after the aerobic exercise.
if i'm going to the gym: 2 mile run into a 1 mile walk then weights
if no gym: 4 mile run and 1 mile walk.
there is a nice flat road along the beach near me with a boardwalk that's just under a 6 mile roundtrip, but that's only if i have the time.

awhile back, i blew out both knees (aikido and paintball), took a year off from running (doc told me to give up running) i bought an elliptical and an ERG
after knees got better, i slowly got back to 8 minute miles...

what i just typed took years of effort ^^

if i was to say just one thing, it would be "make exercise part of your daily life."

Last edited by freedom; 09-06-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
And how important are actual running shoes vs whatever boot I have?
Extremely important. You don't want to injure yourself.
And every little minor discomfort can push you away from your goals IE it's too humid/sunny/windy to run.
So with properly fitted shoes you can have some control like avoiding blisters.

MCB Feedback
YBBPI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBBPI View Post
Extremely important. You don't want to injure yourself.
And every little minor discomfort can push you away from your goals IE it's too humid/sunny/windy to run.
So with properly fitted shoes you can have some control like avoiding blisters.
So should I not run till I buy shoes? Or take it easy?

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness