mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 11-27-2017, 10:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

I guess I'm a Powerlifter now.

So I wasn't as active in fitness as I wanted to be, and when Hurricane Harvey cleaned out my house, I lost all my gym stuff. Since I'm staying with an uncle, I couldn't really get a home gym up and running again, so I decided I'd join a gym. Found local place that does Powerlifting, and said "why not!?"

Been at it for about 2 months now, and holy wow have I improved. I've been loving it.

When I had my home set-up, I was doing Starting Strength off and on. It helped, for sure, but I was pretty unguided and lacked real motivation. The best I could squeeze out was 155# on the bench (damn my googly arms), 245# squat, and a 305# deadlift.

Fast forward two months of real, guided training, and my projected lifts are 200# bench (curse still further my googly arms), 315# squat, and 415# dead! These are numbers I'm proud of, and in such little time!

I know they're projected numbers, but we have a meet this weekend, so we're deloading and did 80-85-90% reps so coach could get a good read on where we are. I hit the 90's pretty easy, so coach and I are confident I'll be able to hit those projected numbers, all of which are (needless to say) PR's! We're only doing benches and deads this meet, but I'll definitely report in!

Wish me luck!

Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fluffy Bunnies for life!!

CCM Fan
Good luck.

Ebay Feedback
MCB Feedback
Jkoselka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Pretty nice. Your projected numbers are where I was when I was at my prime, except bench I was at ~255. If you're taller than me 5'7", you can definitely go higher.

Try doing olympic lifts like snatches and my favorite clean and jerks.

MCB Feedback
YBBPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Yeah, I'm 6'3", so I may not be the optimal build for powerlifting, but here I am anyway. With my monkey arms, I'll probably never excel at bench, but whatever. My deadlifts seem to be progressing fast enough to make up for it. It's all very exciting to me!

Old 11-28-2017, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
I need this!

6'2" with monkey arms as well. Bench was never my forte no matter how much work I put in. Shorter stumpy guys have an unfair advantage.

Always looking for a Woodland Camo F1 Illustrator. Got an extra?
Rusty Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know you guys have to put in more effort because of distance traveled.
But I think it also has to do with how wide your shoulders are and the circumference of your chest to determine how easy it is to gain muscle in that area.

I have pretty wide shoulders and chest was ~40" last time I checked and I've been lifting on and off since I was 10.
And some studies say what you do while maturing helps shape your body for the rest of your life.

MCB Feedback
YBBPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

That ship has also sailed, then!

I'm 29 now, and when I was growing up, I was about 280#, NO muscle. Needless to say, my old habits weren't conducive to strong development. But oh well.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
BEO-Mafia

CCM Fan
Congrats on the gains and good luck at the meet. At 29, you're still young and have tons of potential.

I've been powerlifting for about 3 years now and have been using 5/3/1 for almost 2 years.
I haven't attended a meet yet although I owe it to myself to go to at least one.
I turned 40 back in May but I'm still making progress, even though it's very slow. My personal goal is to get a 405 deadlift by the end of the year but time seems to be going by too fast.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

I have read that the average guy in general decent shape should be able to bench his own weight. I could (at one point) lift my own high school graduation weight at 135#...beyond that I have never had the musculature of a lifter, even though several people told me I had the build for it. The work that I did always had my shoulders and arms pretty large, cycling kept my legs strong, topped with a BIRDY chest.

My arms are both so jacked up now from accidents and injury that I can't do a push up any more.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Which school or gym (if you don't mind)? I know a Mr. Laws at UH, who has been at the meets lately. He used to be a rail.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness