mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 11-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
To be fair, I'm not looking for powerlifting-type gains so I'd expect different results than you. I'm doing lots of machines at fairly low reps trying to stay balanced. The trainer actually set this routine based on my competitive shooting, so it includes exercises specific to what will help me there - sustained posture/back muscles, grip strength, forearm strength, hips, etc.
I'm no power lifter either, just trying to stay balanced with a good strength to cardio ratio. Someone of your size and weight could easily require 2000-2500 calories just for daily function, add in the desire to build muscle and another 1000-1200 isn't really that much.
estin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Major Power Factor

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBBPI View Post
You should be fine. I think ~2 lbs of muscle a month is like the max you can gain.
If you're really worried get a tape measure and record biceps, chest, waist etc.

And congrats on the weight loss. I wish the people I live with would also cook more keto-friendly meals.
Keto isn't easy if you're living with other people I drove my wife up a wall, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estin View Post
You will always gain some fat while building. Also, you will need to go way up in calories to put on muscle. Likely 3200-3500. I've had the best luck rotating 4-6 weeks strength training with high calorie diet, then 4-6 weeks leaning diet and cardio only.
I'd never considered doing a plan like that - I figured I wasn't a serious enough lifter to have it make sense. I'm guessing I'd need to seriously up my workouts to pull that off? Is there a downside to sticking with the current lower calorie / cardio/weight mix plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintzapper View Post
When I actually worked out 5 days a week (standard lifting nothing fancy) I went from 165 to 185 within 6 months. I see nothing wrong if you are strengthening your body and gaining weight, especially if you find that you are having to up your weight/reps when the current routine gets easy. Just pay attention to what you see and feel if you hit the 10lb mark. 2-5 lbs on me seems to be my normal variance throughout the week but I can tell a difference at the 10lb mark.
True. I was posting averages - I actually tend to be somewhere just below 195 to upper 197's during the week (I've seen 198/199 once or twice too). Lately it's gravitated toward the higher side, which is not TOO far off from the 10 pound mark if you include the weight I gained back right after keto (hence the post). I have been upping the amount of weight every few weeks on all machines, though biceps seem to be lagging behind for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldadoom View Post
the Q is simple how do you look?
That's the tricky thing. I *think* I'm looking better - my arms are definitely bigger than when I started and I have more definition around my shoulders/neck - but it's a little hard to tell because it's a gradual change. It's like when I lost weight. I didn't see the change from week-to-week in the mirror, but then I saw a picture of myself toward the end and was like "When did THAT happen?!". I just don't want to have that same reaction because I got fat again, lol.

The other tricky part is that I tend to carry fat around my lower half anyway just because of my shape. My thighs might be getting bigger because of leg presses, but it looks like it's because of fried chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estin View Post
I'm no power lifter either, just trying to stay balanced with a good strength to cardio ratio. Someone of your size and weight could easily require 2000-2500 calories just for daily function, add in the desire to build muscle and another 1000-1200 isn't really that much.
Sorry, I meant that for Magoo. And yeah, 2k should actually be low for my size, but I'm blessed with one of those wonderful metabolic dispositions where I can put on fat very, very easily.

Feedback
matteekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
I have been upping the amount of weight every few weeks on all machines, though biceps seem to be lagging behind for some reason.
For me personally, My lower body gained muscle mass and relative strength 2-3 times faster than my upper body. By the end I could only bench 200 max, curl 60 max but I could squat 500 max. Forget the leg press that maxed at 750, I had two people sit on the end with the 750 and do a full press.

Bodies be weird man.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Major Power Factor

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Bodies be weird man.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Legs are the same for me - I'm pressing 230, 10 reps x3 right now, but will probably up that again next week. I guess it helps that my legs were used to carrying around 250-270 lbs on a regular basis until recently, ha.

I meant biceps in comparison to the rest of my upper body workout. I noticed that I actually have bigger triceps right now... so I did something wrong! I'm compensating by upping the weight on my biceps just breaking it up into lower reps over more sets so I can get it done. Hopefully I'll be able to equalize the two soon.

Feedback
Old 11-29-2017, 07:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
For me personally, My lower body gained muscle mass and relative strength 2-3 times faster than my upper body. By the end I could only bench 200 max, curl 60 max but I could squat 500 max. Forget the leg press that maxed at 750, I had two people sit on the end with the 750 and do a full press.

Bodies be weird man.
I'm the same way, I struggle to add muscle on the top end yet my legs can barely fit into my jeans at times. I also have a long torso so I end up looking like a runner who does squats 24 hours a day.
estin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
MVP its not brain science

CCM Fan
All gainz are acceptable my son.

My MCarterBrown Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace
Like any thread on MCB ever stays on one topic. Just pick something random and join in.
grimcpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Mar
Carter's wife's boyfriend

Brass and Wood Fan
hey bro:

First off way to go. Fat typically has underlying problems that we often don't consider at a glance. It could be depression, there could be unresolved issues, there is the strain it puts on your body/joints, and often heart as well.

I have read a bunch of the posts and would like to opine: for background I am extremely handsome and muscular, well not so much 'muscular' these last two years, but I will resolve that soon enough.

Your goals may be different than many others. You can still build muscle while consuming 2k-2.5k calories. Weightlifters/bodybuilders often go through a 'bulking phase' -> I have done this many times. The downside to this plan is that it seems to clash with your goal of having lowered body-fat. As Estin has mentioned he does a bulking, then a cut phase. That is pretty sophisticated stuff, that separates the 3 day a week guys (yourself) from the guys with the esoteric knowledge and experience. Estin is probably almost as handsome and buff as me honestly, but just less.

So you're talking about back-fat? Where? does it seem to be your wings/lats? because if so you are probably just gaining muscle, and happen to have some fat there anyhow, or maybe a wee bit of both.

Weight lifting is neat - the more muscle you gain the better your metabolism becomes: imagine a V8 versus an inline 4: bigger burns more fuel. Cardio is great because it will help you with your overall energy and recovery times, as well as burning more calories immediately. If you kept your caloric intake steady, and kept lifting weights, you would eventually notice fat start to leave as your metabolism gets faster and faster.

Ultimately you get skinny in the kitchen, and fit in the gym. Your caloric intake is on the low side for an active adult male, that being said if you have competing interests (losing weight/maintaining/building muscle) it could be in the right range. Making smart choices as to where those calories come from is going to be extremely helpful. Protein of course essential to building muscle, amino acids for recovery, and enough carbs and fat to keep you energized and brain healthy.

My advice for now is keep doing what you are doing for three months (give or take) and as the gent said above take some measurements as you go. If you can keep track of your daily caloric intake great, if you can break it down into the 3 elements of food even better. See where it goes. YOu are in the nascent stages of this life, no need to overcomplicate it. Get your lifting fundamentals done, get the movements proper, get your stabilizers engaged, develop routines, etc... Tweak it after a bit. Before I teach a player to double pump to get a sick drop shot on a player, I am going to teach him to keep his elbows in. One thing at a time. Enjoy it.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
I need this!

Quote:
I meant biceps in comparison to the rest of my upper body workout. I noticed that I actually have bigger triceps right now... so I did something wrong!
You're not doing anything wrong. If you're working out for stability then your triceps should be comparatively bigger than your biceps. Triceps will help a hell of a lot more when your arms are extended. Your delts, lats, and traps as well. Biceps are mostly for lifting loads - but really they're more show than go when it comes to doing any real work.

Always looking for a Woodland Camo F1 Illustrator. Got an extra?
Rusty Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Major Power Factor

Brass and Wood Fan
I kept meaning to get back to this thread! My apologies - been traveling a bunch lately. Thanks to everyone that posted but man, Mar - this is something special. I can only hope that one day, with a lot of work, I can be a fraction of the intelligent and attractive man you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
hey bro:

First off way to go. Fat typically has underlying problems that we often don't consider at a glance. It could be depression, there could be unresolved issues, there is the strain it puts on your body/joints, and often heart as well.

I have read a bunch of the posts and would like to opine: for background I am extremely handsome and muscular, well not so much 'muscular' these last two years, but I will resolve that soon enough.

Your goals may be different than many others. You can still build muscle while consuming 2k-2.5k calories. Weightlifters/bodybuilders often go through a 'bulking phase' -> I have done this many times. The downside to this plan is that it seems to clash with your goal of having lowered body-fat. As Estin has mentioned he does a bulking, then a cut phase. That is pretty sophisticated stuff, that separates the 3 day a week guys (yourself) from the guys with the esoteric knowledge and experience. Estin is probably almost as handsome and buff as me honestly, but just less.

So you're talking about back-fat? Where? does it seem to be your wings/lats? because if so you are probably just gaining muscle, and happen to have some fat there anyhow, or maybe a wee bit of both.

Weight lifting is neat - the more muscle you gain the better your metabolism becomes: imagine a V8 versus an inline 4: bigger burns more fuel. Cardio is great because it will help you with your overall energy and recovery times, as well as burning more calories immediately. If you kept your caloric intake steady, and kept lifting weights, you would eventually notice fat start to leave as your metabolism gets faster and faster.

Ultimately you get skinny in the kitchen, and fit in the gym. Your caloric intake is on the low side for an active adult male, that being said if you have competing interests (losing weight/maintaining/building muscle) it could be in the right range. Making smart choices as to where those calories come from is going to be extremely helpful. Protein of course essential to building muscle, amino acids for recovery, and enough carbs and fat to keep you energized and brain healthy.

My advice for now is keep doing what you are doing for three months (give or take) and as the gent said above take some measurements as you go. If you can keep track of your daily caloric intake great, if you can break it down into the 3 elements of food even better. See where it goes. YOu are in the nascent stages of this life, no need to overcomplicate it. Get your lifting fundamentals done, get the movements proper, get your stabilizers engaged, develop routines, etc... Tweak it after a bit. Before I teach a player to double pump to get a sick drop shot on a player, I am going to teach him to keep his elbows in. One thing at a time. Enjoy it.
So a couple of thoughts/updates:

- I just passed 5 months off of keto and I'm up about 8-9 pounds. Again, about 3 of those were instant when I stopped the diet (before I started working out) and the rest came after. Realistically, that's about 5-6 lbs since I've been working out, so well under that 2lbs max measurement.
- Everything still fits fine so I do think it's mostly muscle gain
- I've doubled (or more) the weight on all of the upper body stuff I do so I'm pleased with that
- I can definitely see more definition than when I started, but I'm nowhere near "cut" yet. Everything is covered with a layer of soft marshmallow coating... but I think it's getting thinner?

It's really appealing to try the cut/bulk cycle but I think Mar's right - that's probably a little too advanced for me right now. I'll probably stick with what I'm doing (while increasing the weight) and consider something like that further down the line.

Feedback
Old 12-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Mar
Carter's wife's boyfriend

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
I can only hope that one day, with a lot of work, I can be a fraction of the intelligent and attractive man you are.
It is the dream...
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness