mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 11-29-2017, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Major Power Factor

Brass and Wood Fan
Acceptable weight gains from lifting?

Lemme tell you a little tale...

I recently(ish) dropped a bunch of weight, about 60 pounds over the course of 10 months by doing keto only (no exercise). This took me from a tubby ole' 250 to about 189 which is still considered fat by BMI, but whatever. Coming off keto, I immediately put on around 3-4 pounds and stabilized. No big surprise there - you literally have no water weight in your body on that diet.

I decided to go back to a balanced "normal" diet, around 2k calories a day, and add in some exercise. I established a routine with a trainer gym 3 times a week, doing about 20 minutes of cardio and then 40+ minutes of lifting, the latter of which entails everything from legs to arms to back. I've been at that around 4 months now and have put on an additional 2-4 pounds depending on when I weigh myself.

So... is that normal muscle gain? Am I gaining fat back? If a tree falls in the woods, does anyone hear it? Aside from checking if pants still fit (so far, so good), I have no frame of reference for what "normal" gains (if any) should be.

Feedback
matteekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Scenario Paintball Team

Check out the Jym Army page on facebook. Great support page.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

You should be fine. I think ~2 lbs of muscle a month is like the max you can gain.
If you're really worried get a tape measure and record biceps, chest, waist etc.

And congrats on the weight loss. I wish the people I live with would also cook more keto-friendly meals.

MCB Feedback
YBBPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

You will always gain some fat while building. Also, you will need to go way up in calories to put on muscle. Likely 3200-3500. I've had the best luck rotating 4-6 weeks strength training with high calorie diet, then 4-6 weeks leaning diet and cardio only.
estin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I forgot to add. Creatine will make you retain an extra 2-4 lbs of water.
Even if you're not taking it in your pre/post-workout supplement, you're body will make more of it when you start working out.

MCB Feedback
YBBPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Hoo whee. This thread puts things in perspective. In my powerlifting thread, I mentioned gains I'm proud of in about 2 months. In the process, I tacked on 20 pounds of body weight.

It kinda bothers me, so I guess "acceptable" is relative, but I'm definitely more worried about gaining strength than losing fat, so I'll worry about that later I guess.

Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Major Power Factor

Brass and Wood Fan
To be fair, I'm not looking for powerlifting-type gains so I'd expect different results than you. I'm doing lots of machines at fairly low reps trying to stay balanced. The trainer actually set this routine based on my competitive shooting, so it includes exercises specific to what will help me there - sustained posture/back muscles, grip strength, forearm strength, hips, etc.

Feedback
matteekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

When I actually worked out 5 days a week (standard lifting nothing fancy) I went from 165 to 185 within 6 months. I see nothing wrong if you are strengthening your body and gaining weight, especially if you find that you are having to up your weight/reps when the current routine gets easy. Just pay attention to what you see and feel if you hit the 10lb mark. 2-5 lbs on me seems to be my normal variance throughout the week but I can tell a difference at the 10lb mark.
paintzapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to foldadoom

2-4 pounds I can change that in a day ...acceptable as said is a relative term, the Q is simple how do you look? simple as that does it look like muscle..probably is...FYI I am 1/3 of a way into a short cycle and have already gained 8kg in 3 weeks with accompanying rise in strength etc
Old 11-29-2017, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
BEO-Mafia

CCM Fan
could be water weight. I really wouldn't worry about it too much but definitely keep an eye on it as you're now strength training vs. just dieting before.

a better metric would be to test your body fat and see if it's going up/down. weight on its own is too broad.

personally, it's not uncommon for me to have a 5lb swing in weight within a week... so many factors can change it. but I'm consistently within a certain range which is what i focus on more. once I go beyond that range (or too far under - which rarely happens, lol), then I will try to make diet/activity adjustments to compensate.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness