mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 11-16-2019, 02:34 AM   #61 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Okay I get that it is sustainable but damn, I respect the person that can stay in actual ketosis indefinitely. It's a fine line to walk and it certainly can be rewarding but at least for myself and my lifestyle, low carb/slow carb is the way to go.

If you look at what it takes to not spike your blood sugar and stay in ketosis and what is involved with actually checking your blood ketone levels on a daily basis it is a very dedicated lifestyle that I personally just don't have the discipline to stick to and honestly I want to enjoy life. For example right now it's my birthday so damnit I'm going to have me a small serving of ice cream.

Is keto sustainable long term? Sure if you have the discipline of a monk. For me, it's a tool to drop weight for the short term but I see no advantage to living my life in ketosis when I can jump into it for a month and then go low carb the rest of the time and be able to enjoy eating foods that have carbs. Food is a big part of my life and really I don't care about one diet or another. I just want to be able to enjoy the foods I want but not have the consequences of being overweight. Part time keto and the rest of the time controlling my carb intake and keeping it low is the closest thing I can find to a compromise that keeps me happy AND healthy.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #62 (permalink)
Paintball Fox

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
You are missing info.
Full time ketosis is not required if you only want losing weight.
In fact if you just think about losing weight many will hate it, women especially as they have way more hormones playing against that.

LCHF still follow most of what Keto do and you still lose weight.
Keto is good for performance or it’s therapeutic property if you want to stay In ketosis.
There is no extra weight lost in high ketosis level.

There is no requirement for testing ketones level and it’s expensive. You can actually feel yourself in ketosis the longuer you do it.

And actually there is some great Keto compliant meals/recipes that meet or exceed their regular counterpart.

Le Renard Youtube Channel
BenoitOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:39 PM   #63 (permalink)
Blue resistance movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenoitOWN View Post
There is no requirement for testing ketones level and it’s expensive. You can actually feel yourself in ketosis the longuer you do it.
The test strips to piss on are about $10 and there are 50 in the bottle which should last about a month if you test once or twice a day.

When I cheated a bit, the results showed on the strip with less keytones being present. If anything, it was further motivation as to what I was doing was working along with the weight loss.

I did not experience any of the "keto flu" symptoms. I actually felt better than normal.

It puts the hands in the air or it gets the paint again.
Rickfactor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:14 AM   #64 (permalink)
Paintball Fox

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Those strip will only tell you that you have excess ketones wich means being in Keto or not if there is no color:
The number it say to you is not reliable and best time to test is first thing in the morning.
Also it show a ketone molecular that is not the most efficient one unlike bhb by blood.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:58 PM   #65 (permalink)
One Foot Less

Well, coming into the second week of "keto" diet. We definitely haven't hit ketosis as we are still learning a lot about food intake/do and don't and so forth. In spite of this, simply cutting the breads, starches, vegetables and such that we shouldn't eat while doing this I have lost weight already and find that my stomach feels considerably better.
So far the two hardest things I am dealing with are no toast and no grits with breakfast. I also need to consider checking with a different grocery so that we can find some of the vegetables that aren't "common" to try out. I am already about tired as hell of the ones we are familiar with and able to find at the local store.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:14 PM   #66 (permalink)
Paintball Fox

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
One week and you already tired of your store veggie?
Maybe try a seasoning change?
I love Brussels sprout with a seasoning I found at a store that is made there and soaked in butter. Also pimp your Brussels with onions and bacon bits.

https://products.wholefoodsmarket.co...o-bread-bfe560
Will be in bakery section in frozen. Not as fluffy when toasted but it a place to start. IMO if you can take gluten are better tasting.
https://products.wholefoodsmarket.co...o-bread-cc538e

I will try a new bread next weekend.

Last edited by BenoitOWN; 11-24-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:30 PM   #67 (permalink)
MCB Member

ahhhh….. the thread I've been waiting for. I love this stuff.

I practice Keto/OMAD when I'm able to. Because of periodic religious food restrictions, sometimes I end up having some carbs. But even then I try to stick to at least a 16/8 fast, if not OMAD.

First: don't do vegan, at least not long term. You can go on youtube and see the timeline/effects of long term vegans literally malnourishing themselves.

Second: Keto is awesome for loosing weight, it is NOT just a fad. Everyone I've ever known who has tried it has had great results. Unfortunately most of the evidence is still anecdotal, as Keto may still be too new to have any statistics backing it as of right now.

Keto isn't just Atkins 2.0. There should actually be a good balance of veggies along with the meats and fats. For somebody who is really knowledgeable, checkout Dr. Eric Berg's channel on youtube.

Lastly: Ketosis is definitely difficult to maintain for the long run, and a strict no-carb diet is a major change to most people's lives. I have reached my weight goals, so now I allow myself a lot more cheats, but still try to minimize my carb intake. I also learned to do intermittent fasting, which is another path to fat burning. It also allows for autophagy, which, while it is still something that needs more studying in order to know exactly how it works, the scientific community seems to agree that it is an actual thing. One of the reasons I've stayed with Keto-light diet is that it synergizes well with the fasting, especially OMAD. The meats and fats really help you go the distance. BUT, in the long run learning to fast is a matter of discipline and re-training your body to not be constantly begging for food that it doesn't actually need. You learn that often, we're just eating out of boredom, not because we need to (the trick is to cut out all the snacks). Now I can do intermittent fasting even when I can't eat meat.

atomicleaf
atomicleaf is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness