mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #291 (permalink)

CCM Fan
1988 Volvo 244

Current stuff done to it
-Bilstein HD shocks and struts
-IPD Lowering Springs
-IPD front a rear sway bars
-Poly sway bar mount
-Poly sway bar end link bushings
-Poly torque rod bushings
-Poly panhard bar bushings
-fresh clutch

After this week
-all poly front control arm bushings
-new rotors and pads
-new rubber brake lines
-new ball joints
-new tie rods
-set of 3 autometer "antique" gauges
-might put my Koni yellow shocks and struts in

current state

Last edited by Pballer2013; 03-07-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Pballer2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #292 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdupuis View Post
I grew up with wagons in the family and it's rare that I don't have one.
Gotta have me a long roof.
It sucks that in the US market they've totally abandoned wagons. There is only one wagon still made with a 3rd row and that's the ridiculously expensive E class. All the other options are jacked up off the ground and sold as crossovers or tiny hatchbacks.

I went to buy a car this month, had to get a new car and there wasn't a single wagon in the around $30k price point. I ended up getting a wrx and despite selling a 50/50 mix of sedans and wagons in prior years they have no WRX wagon as of the 2015 model year.

What the hell is wrong with the American car buyer. Crossovers suck. They don't do anything well. Handling is **** because they are jacked up sedans, interior room is diminished because they are platformed off the smaller sedans in a product lineup, they are overpriced, oversized, and despite the ground clearance can't be taken offroad and have have the towing capacity of a sedan.

Last edited by theangrydragon; 03-07-2016 at 12:15 PM.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #293 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Brass and Wood Fan
Doesn't VW have the Jetta, and now Golf Sportswagen?
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #294 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by theangrydragon View Post
It sucks that in the US market they've totally abandoned wagons. There is only one wagon still made with a 3rd row and that's the ridiculously expensive E class. All the other options are jacked up off the ground and sold as crossovers or tiny hatchbacks.

I went to buy a car this month, had to get a new car and there wasn't a single wagon in the around $30k price point. I ended up getting a wrx and despite selling a 50/50 mix of sedans and wagons in prior years they have no WRX wagon as of the 2015 model year.

What the hell is wrong with the American car buyer. Crossovers suck. They don't do anything well. Handling is **** because they are jacked up sedans, interior room is diminished because they are platformed off the smaller sedans in a product lineup, they are overpriced, oversized, and despite the ground clearance can't be taken offroad and have have the towing capacity of a sedan.

Also upset they did away with wrx wagon so I went with Impreza sport instead of wrx for daily driver use
Old 03-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #295 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Doesn't VW have the Jetta, and now Golf Sportswagen?
The fact that you can no longer get it in diesel or with the faster 2.0t makes them pretty lame. Plus the manual transmission is only available in the stripped down base model and is only a 5 speed when everything these days is the 6 speed.

VW really sucks right now, they are a former shell of what they were only a few years ago. Other then the GTi and the overpriced Golf R they really have nothing more exciting then Toyota.

Subaru makes the LeVorg and Exiga that are true wagons, the Exiga even has a 3rd row, but neither is available stateside. Even with the Impreza/WRX they kept chopping the back more and more each generation to be a hatchback rather then a wagon. Still woulda bought the WRX in a 5 door if it was an option since a hatch is still better then a trunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pballer2013 View Post
Also upset they did away with wrx wagon so I went with Impreza sport instead of wrx for daily driver use
https://i63.tinypic.com/rclbmh.jpg

I actually didn't even know they still made the impreza 5 door until you posted that. I just assumed they replaced it with the XV. Probably for the better as it might of made the decision harder. That Impreza looks really good, the XV, not so much.

Last edited by theangrydragon; 03-07-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #296 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Im in the process of replacing my wife's car with a wagon. Been watching a few low milage BMW 3 series and 5 series X-drive wagons. They even come in manual.

Loved my Allroad Audi 2.7T with a manual. Ran to much boost to it for to long. It was fun while it lasted.

I by cars for wholesale drive them untill retail catches up and off them for what I payed. My Jetta TDI was the first exception it was just too good to be true. 48MPG, 0% financing, and they gave me $2K over what I payed for my Audi A3Q 2 years and 40k miles later. its been a good car so far. Warranty is just about up so it just about time for a clutch upgrade / retune and high flow exhaust for more power and MPG.
Mr Idiot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:27 PM   #297 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

New toy/daily.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #298 (permalink)
Post Whore

Old 04-03-2016, 01:19 AM   #299 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Wow, those are rare in that good of shape, how is it not disintegrated in rust if you live in a snowy area?
Old 04-03-2016, 02:56 AM   #300 (permalink)

My daily driver is a 2015 Tacoma double cab 4x4 last year for the 4.0LV6

My road bike/tourer/two up toy is a 2014 Victory Vegas 8-Ball. Freedom 106ci 6speed just a beastly power train that hooked me on the first test ride (was between this bike and a Harley street bob).

My off road beast lol and summer commuter. 2010 Yamaha TW200. The two wheel tractor.

The ATV I picked up for the wife to join me off road. A 2005 Suzuki Ozark 250. Fun sporty little thing that pairs well with the TW for trail exploring.

And lastly all the power sports toys together (pluse a Vstar 650 I store for my mum)

Last edited by TinyBear; 04-03-2016 at 03:21 PM.
TinyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage