mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #321 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I see that BMW is now phasing the manual transmissions out of the M series. If I'm going to buy a sporty car for the driving experience, I'm going to want to have full control of the trans.
Originally Posted by Ryantuomi View Post
I always close both my eyes and use the force.
1996XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #322 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
That is blasphemy. I will strike you down where you stand heathen!

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:51 PM   #323 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996XJ View Post
I see that BMW is now phasing the manual transmissions out of the M series. If I'm going to buy a sporty car for the driving experience, I'm going to want to have full control of the trans.
The M and AMG divisions have been taken over by the marketing and accounting departments. BMW said they would never release an M series SUV, and they did. Mercedes is now sticking the AMG badge on everything that isn't the base model.

Audi just announced they are ditching their full time awd system for their haldex front wheel drive based that only sends power to the rear after the front slips.

Finding manual transmissions is impossible these days. Cars you would think would have it don't. Most of VW and Audis line isn't available with manual transmissions anymore, only the base model non awd models.

Same deal with Subaru, manual only available on the Impreza base model and the wrx, everything else is automatic. No more sleeper manual transmission Forester XT's.

My first choice when I went car shopping was the Cadillac ATS with a 6 speed, there were less then 10 in the country and they all were top trim levels so way overpriced.

This is a really bad time for mid priced mid sized 4 door fun cars. There's lots of really great cheap sporty small cars and some really awesome high end sedans, but nothing in the middle with a manual transmission.

Last edited by theangrydragon; 04-16-2016 at 12:08 AM.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:28 AM   #324 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Yeah it goes for all cars.

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
Old 04-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #325 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I had a hard time even finding my Golf, 2012, in a stick. I have read about 1/2 the GTI's sold are stick, I remember when there were NO auto GTI's. I know that the DSG is faster than a human can react, so its technically faster, but I don't care. Ill keep my 5 spd.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
psunitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #326 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
How did you have trouble finding a manual gti? There are tons and tons of them.

Here is my mk4 gti project I am working on. Those rare rims though

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
Old 04-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #327 (permalink)

I used to love driving stick. Have owned a couple Stick shift VW (86 golf,04 Jetta) and my last truck 2012 Tacoma.

But these days though I still enjoy driving stick, I no longer can consider owning one as a sensible choice for any of my 4 wheeled toys as my left leg just don't work like it should since it got all messed up when i got hit by a car.

That being said I still see a lot of advantage to standards over the auto despite the autos. The biggest advantage though of all is something I don't see a computer managing anytime soon. And that's anticipating the need. Certainly autos and machines can be faster out right at the Act of shifting. But as a driver I can see an up coming hill and prepare and select the appropriate gear to best suite said situation.

A automatic trans is reactive of the drivers actions. A Manual is part of a drivers actions.

If I could get my stupid leg to cooperate more often I'd still have my stick shift Tacoma as I LOVED that truck. But for now at least I happy with my 5speed auto in my current Tacoma as it serves me well is nearly as efficient and does pretty well on the road generally.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:49 AM   #328 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
How did you have trouble finding a manual gti? There are tons and tons of them.

Here is my mk4 gti project I am working on. Those rare rims though

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...f3da044d2a.jpg
Gimme.
Hobbes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #329 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
The car will be for sale shortly....

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
Old 04-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #330 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBear View Post
I used to love driving stick. Have owned a couple Stick shift VW (86 golf,04 Jetta) and my last truck 2012 Tacoma.

But these days though I still enjoy driving stick, I no longer can consider owning one as a sensible choice for any of my 4 wheeled toys as my left leg just don't work like it should since it got all messed up when i got hit by a car.

That being said I still see a lot of advantage to standards over the auto despite the autos. The biggest advantage though of all is something I don't see a computer managing anytime soon. And that's anticipating the need. Certainly autos and machines can be faster out right at the Act of shifting. But as a driver I can see an up coming hill and prepare and select the appropriate gear to best suite said situation.

A automatic trans is reactive of the drivers actions. A Manual is part of a drivers actions.

If I could get my stupid leg to cooperate more often I'd still have my stick shift Tacoma as I LOVED that truck. But for now at least I happy with my 5speed auto in my current Tacoma as it serves me well is nearly as efficient and does pretty well on the road generally.
The new sequential manuals like the vw dsg is a manual trans, just an automatic clutch. Depending on what mode you are in you can tell it to shift how you want, just click the stick down or hit the paddle shifter. They are totally awesome.

That being said, I will never in my life own an auto. I'm 33 and drove since 14 and has always been manual. I hate autos. If I can't drive a manual cause I'm too old or injured or whatever, then I just can't drive period.

Also, your auto Tacoma does better mpg than the stick. The final gear ratio is better and cruises at lower rpm. (owned Tacoma my whole life)

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage