mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2019, 06:21 PM   #441 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Carlito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MN

Here's mine. 04 vue redline 3.5 honda vtec awd. Bought it in 2007 with 30k. Now it's at 130k. Hoping for another 10yrs out of her.


Rotary motors are fun. I had an 83 rx7 at one point. Man those motors can rev.
Carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #442 (permalink)
Springfeed the world.
 
RAZRBAKK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashedUpMinnesotan View Post
Man, the 84s are really something special aren't they? The last time I saw one come up for sale, it ended up going for 35k and I think with the right crowd there it would have gone for more.
That sounds a bit ridiculous. I've definitely seen some on Bring a Trailer pull over 10k, but never that high.

I did see a JDM SA22C GTX, which came with a turbo, FI, 12A motor from factory sell for 25k.
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #443 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
WashedUpMinnesotan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRBAKK View Post
That sounds a bit ridiculous. I've definitely seen some on Bring a Trailer pull over 10k, but never that high.

I did see a JDM SA22C GTX, which came with a turbo, FI, 12A motor from factory sell for 25k.
It was absolutely ridiculous. I remember it being pretty much stock and mint; nothing aftermarket, not a spot on the thing, hyper low-mileage like somebody had forgotten about it covered in a garage for 30 years after bringing it home from the dealership.

I'm a sucker for any turbo'd rotary when done right. Even more so, a 20B swap. I hear that droning scream in my dreams. Completely unrealistic that I would ever be able to make that build on any budget I'll ever have, especially when the build cost gets into supercar territory. But man. A guy can dream.
__________________
My Feedback
WashedUpMinnesotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #444 (permalink)
Patient Zero
 
Tracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Las Vegas NV
Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan

bought a lightly used 2004 in 2005, motor failed at 18k. had to have the starter replaces 2x dues to flooding issues
brakes sounded like a semi until i forced them to change the pads to a new style after a TSB,
15.5mpg in the summer
driving at freeway speeds sucks because in 6th gear at 75mph, the engine is turning about 4k RPM, and that is a monotonous drone
heater stopped working entirely
A/C would blow lukewarm air at best in the summer
lost coils and plugs on at least 2 occasions i can remember ($500+ each time)
and finally i found this in the muffler..

that's the catalytic converter btw..

no mods other than a K&N short ram, oil changed on time, all maintenance preformed by mazda..

i traded it the day after the cat issue was discovered, i had just paid for another round of coils and plugs

id paid it off.. i owned it for 5.5 years

cant say i miss that car much at all
__________________

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback

Last edited by Tracker; 04-17-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:32 PM   #445 (permalink)
Springfeed the world.
 
RAZRBAKK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashedUpMinnesotan View Post
It was absolutely ridiculous. I remember it being pretty much stock and mint; nothing aftermarket, not a spot on the thing, hyper low-mileage like somebody had forgotten about it covered in a garage for 30 years after bringing it home from the dealership.

I'm a sucker for any turbo'd rotary when done right. Even more so, a 20B swap. I hear that droning scream in my dreams. Completely unrealistic that I would ever be able to make that build on any budget I'll ever have, especially when the build cost gets into supercar territory. But man. A guy can dream.
Haha, it was a really cool system they had on it. The turbo was designed to spin 20% faster to work better with the rotary.

I've been hooked on RX7s, especially first gens, since I was a kid. There was a guy who used to enter the King of the Hill race at the local speedway in a stock 82 GSL. It didn't matter that it was only 140 horses(if that), being so light weight it just cruised around that circle track. I've wanted one ever since.
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #446 (permalink)
Springfeed the world.
 
RAZRBAKK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
says you

https://1.imgur.com/pEJknAc.jpg
bought a lightly used 2004 in 2005, motor failed at 18k. had to have the starter replaces 2x dues to flooding issues
brakes sounded like a semi until i forced them to change the pads to a new style after a TSB,
15.5mpg in the summer
driving at freeway speeds sucks because in 6th gear at 75mph, the engine is turning about 4k RPM, and that is a monotonous drone
heater stopped working entirely
A/C would blow lukewarm air at best in the summer
lost coils and plugs on at least 2 occasions i can remember ($500+ each time)
and finally i found this in the muffler..
https://i.imgur.com/qB92ZH3.jpg
that's the catalytic converter btw..

no mods other than a K&N short ram, oil changed on time, all maintenance preformed by mazda..

cant say i miss that car much at all
That's very unfortunate. I don't know too much about the RX8s, but I think you may have bought a lemon. Sorry you had such a **** time with it.

If it makes you feel any better my Subaru Forester blew through 2 catalytic converters in less than 50,000 kms.
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #447 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
WashedUpMinnesotan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
says you


bought a lightly used 2004 in 2005, motor failed at 18k. had to have the starter replaces 2x dues to flooding issues
brakes sounded like a semi until i forced them to change the pads to a new style after a TSB,
15.5mpg in the summer
driving at freeway speeds sucks because in 6th gear at 75mph, the engine is turning about 4k RPM, and that is a monotonous drone
heater stopped working entirely
A/C would blow lukewarm air at best in the summer
lost coils and plugs on at least 2 occasions i can remember ($500+ each time)
and finally i found this in the muffler..

that's the catalytic converter btw..

no mods other than a K&N short ram, oil changed on time, all maintenance preformed by mazda..

cant say i miss that car much at all
Ouch. Sorry you had such a bad experience. I've heard of the cats blowing up like that before too. Sounds like you really got one with every possible thing that could go wrong from the original run.

The coils are another common point of failure, to this day forums still recommend aftermarket coils.

Man, that really sucks. They can be a lot of fun if they're not ruining your life.
__________________
My Feedback
WashedUpMinnesotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #448 (permalink)
Patient Zero
 
Tracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Las Vegas NV
Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
and the 13b motor issue wasn't discovered until the summer of 2005,

when a large portion of cars throughout the south and southwest (AZ, FL, las vegas, socal, TX, NM) pretty much anywhere it gets over 90 in the summer all had apex seal failures they realized it was a part of a much larger issue, they originally wanted to charge me for a new motor..

after the recall, they found out that they didn't anticipate oil usage requirements under high load and low RPM, which was exacerbated by hot climates.. the replacement engines had more oil ports

but the damage was done, you cannot issue a recall for the engine of 2 full model years of car and not expect that to destroy the reputation of that model.

oh yeah and after they replaced my motor, they didnt put the steering wheel back on straight. and they pinched the gasket on the oil pan

so that was 2 more issues it had to go back for

oh yeah, and don't drive over any plastic bags unless you really enjoy the smell of melted plastic as it slowly cocks off your muffler (unless you take it to the dealer, they will happy to charge you like $100 to get it off and clean the muffler)

big hot muffler. all a bag has to do was get near it and it would stick to it..
__________________

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback

Last edited by Tracker; 04-17-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:14 AM   #449 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
WashedUpMinnesotan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
and the 13b motor issue wasn't discovered until the summer of 2005,

when a large portion of cars throughout the south and southwest (AZ, FL, las vegas, socal, TX, NM) pretty much anywhere it gets over 90 in the summer all had apex seal failures they realized it was a part of a much larger issue, they originally wanted to charge me for a new motor..

after the recall, they found out that they didn't anticipate oil usage requirements under high load and low RPM, which was exacerbated by hot climates.. the replacement engines had more oil ports

but the damage was done, you cannot issue a recall for the engine of 2 full model years of car and not expect that to destroy the reputation of that model.

oh yeah and after they replaced my motor, they didnt put the steering wheel back on straight. and they pinched the gasket on the oil pan

so that was 2 more issues it had to go back for

oh yeah, and don't drive over any plastic bags unless you really enjoy the smell of melted plastic as it slowly cocks off your muffler (unless you take it to the dealer, they will happy to charge you like $100 to get it off and clean the muffler)

big hot muffler. all a bag has to do was get near it and it would stick to it..
I was going to ask if you were in a hot climate - that **** was NOT ready for hot weather. Even on a hot summer day in the Midwest, it's sluggish compared to "normal" weather. The early runs especially did not tolerate hot weather. Sorry brother. That sucks.
__________________
My Feedback
WashedUpMinnesotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:36 PM   #450 (permalink)
Springfeed the world.
 
RAZRBAKK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern Ontario

Got to meet up with my best friend this weekend. He's a huge car enthusiast who currently dailies an imported 2001 Toyota Celsior.

For those that don't know, the Toyota Celsior is a carbon copy of the Lexus LS430 from the same era. His has some of the cool Japanese only features, and is of course, Right Hand Drive.

It's gotta be one of the most comfortable cars I've ever been in.

Here it is with my Celica:

RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC