mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
WOOP WOOOOOOOOP

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
also just got my wife's jetta back outta the shop today they wanted 600 to change a dam pvc valve. I told them they're high and he tried offering me deals to fix everything and I told them na I'll just handle this myself cuz they noticed all these things wrong that are high dollar, but didn't even check the dam air filter when it's having surging issues... and he said oh I can change that too for 100 I about lost it. some dealers are str8 thieves.
iKNOWaFATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKNOWaFATman View Post
also just got my wife's jetta back outta the shop today they wanted 600 to change a dam pvc valve. I told them they're high and he tried offering me deals to fix everything and I told them na I'll just handle this myself cuz they noticed all these things wrong that are high dollar, but didn't even check the dam air filter when it's having surging issues... and he said oh I can change that too for 100 I about lost it. some dealers are str8 thieves.
I'm not sure what year your Jetta is, but the PCV valve on certain model years is a large assembly that's not just a PCV valve, it's an oil/air separator that's quite intricate and needs to work properly or you'll run into issues. And they're a high failure item.

On a different note - at the risk of voicing an unpopular opinion (and not directed at any posters in this thread), the automotive repair industry suffers from a surplus of customers who don't understand the product they're using, but think they do. Cars are not as simple to work on as they were 30-40 years ago and yet the public's understanding of them stalled out at that point.

That being said - there are a LOT of scammers out there who prey on that ignorance, and that needs to stop... mechanics will never achieve a positive reputation if it continues.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
WOOP WOOOOOOOOP

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
ya I know it's the whole valve cover.... but it's still hella easy. maybe an hour. engine cover off, disconnect vacume hoses, and sparkplug wires, remove valve cover, reverse. 200 for the part online from vw.

honestly it's an easy diy job but they tried to pull one over on my wife. sorry still mad about it. I'll have it done in 1.5 hrs and some beers. when I get back in town.

she was all worried cuz it was surging, so I told her to take it in, if it's reasonable we'll have them do it. ya not reasonable.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
1.21 gigawatts!

Send a message via AIM to C5TEK Send a message via Yahoo to C5TEK

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
And if you'd like to know why it's recommend to replace rotors on your Audi I'd be happy to tell you. Sounds like the person trying to explain it to you wasn't doing a good job of it. There is a minimum wear limit on the rotor. More importantly there is a minimum machine to limit as well. With most performance cars you'll find that when your brake pads are worn the rotors are just about at the machine to limit. So by trying to machine them you'll go below that limit. But you won't be at the wear limit yet. Now why is this important? For average driving you wouldn't know the difference. However in an extreme instance such as panic braking you can run the risk of overheating the rotor and introducing brake fade or warping the rotor. I can go on about the how's and why's So sure for your normal driving you'd be fine. But do you want to take a chance for having subpar brakes in an emergency situation? Just a thought. I do understand the cost involved plays a role. And it helps to be well informed. If you ever have any questions or comments feel free to ask me. I've been an ASE master certified tech for the last twenty five years and I'm currently a gold meister Porsche tech.
Last edited by Drum : Today at 07:41 AM. Reason: Because "sexy" lamps are for HOMO decorators...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier_Bill View Post
That was back when I thought the crusade against stupidity was actually a winable fight.I was wrong.And I gave up.
This sucker's electrical, but I need a nuclear
reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity I need.

My MCB Feedback
C5TEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5TEK View Post
And if you'd like to know why it's recommend to replace rotors on your Audi I'd be happy to tell you. Sounds like the person trying to explain it to you wasn't doing a good job of it. There is a minimum wear limit on the rotor. More importantly there is a minimum machine to limit as well. With most performance cars you'll find that when your brake pads are worn the rotors are just about at the machine to limit. So by trying to machine them you'll go below that limit. But you won't be at the wear limit yet. Now why is this important? For average driving you wouldn't know the difference. However in an extreme instance such as panic braking you can run the risk of overheating the rotor and introducing brake fade or warping the rotor. I can go on about the how's and why's So sure for your normal driving you'd be fine. But do you want to take a chance for having subpar brakes in an emergency situation? Just a thought. I do understand the cost involved plays a role. And it helps to be well informed. If you ever have any questions or comments feel free to ask me. I've been an ASE master certified tech for the last twenty five years and I'm currently a gold meister Porsche tech.
thank you for the very in depth response, i know my minimum wear limit is 2mm from stock, and from what i can tell the pads have only worn off about .01 (in) from the rotor, ill see what i can scrape up for the minimum machine to tolerances, i want to keep them within spec. which means if i gotta buy new rotors because i have to, i will, but i have a really hard time believing that at 22k miles the rotors have been worn enough to warrant replacement

but i'll make sure when i drop the car off monday

thanks for the insight

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
1.21 gigawatts!

Send a message via AIM to C5TEK Send a message via Yahoo to C5TEK

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
thank you for the very in depth response, i know my minimum wear limit is 2mm from stock, and from what i can tell the pads have only worn off about .01 (in) from the rotor, ill see what i can scrape up for the minimum machine to tolerances, i want to keep them within spec. which means if i gotta buy new rotors because i have to, i will, but i have a really hard time believing that at 22k miles the rotors have been worn enough to warrant replacement

but i'll make sure when i drop the car off monday

thanks for the insight
You're welcome. I have an Audi store right across the parking lot from me so if you don't come up with the specs you're looking for I'm sure I can get them. Just pm me your VIN and I'll get the details. Needing brakes at 22k isn't unheard of. The Audi is a powerful, yet heavy car. Driving style and conditions also are a big factor too.
Last edited by Drum : Today at 07:41 AM. Reason: Because "sexy" lamps are for HOMO decorators...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier_Bill View Post
That was back when I thought the crusade against stupidity was actually a winable fight.I was wrong.And I gave up.
This sucker's electrical, but I need a nuclear
reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity I need.

My MCB Feedback
C5TEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
WOOP WOOOOOOOOP

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
ya the 22k doesn't surprise me neither, my pops blew through his first set at 10k on his RS5... but it's an rs5 can't blame him too much
Old 03-31-2017, 10:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

German brake pads seem to be incredibly abrasive for some reason... Mercedes-Benz rotors develop 1/16-1/8" ridges pretty quickly, long before the pad wears out.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
yeah, im not shocked about the fact they have given up the ghost, just annoyed.

we have actually leased 2 audis before this, one A4 B8 pre facelift, its brakes also needed to be replaced at about 25k
the second one was a B8 post facelift (B8.5) and that one went over 40k without needing brakes

i got the car pre-owned, so unfortunatly the first 10k miles of its life i had no input on.. thats where i assume the bulk of the wear came from, i dont drive the car very hard.. but who knows, make the 7 lights i have on my 3 mile commute is enough to put the hurt on them

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
Northern Transplant

I thought we all just rode em till they warped . (I also drive the opposite of a performance car)

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage