mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
The STi's in most configs are below $40k. But across the board the interiors suck on the STi and WRX. You're paying for an engine and a drivetrain and it shows.

The steering wheel and seats are nice, but everything else is 90's Japanese econobox plastic.

I'm just glad the newer WRX's and STi's feel a lot stiffer then the old ones. The sheet metal is thicker and there's a lot less road noise. Last gen to this gen was a huge improvement. Maybe for the next gen they'll get the interior and infotainment right and it will be the perfect car.

The other thing that people forget if you haven't bought a new car in the past 5 years is they've continued to get even more expensive.

An STi costs what a base level Audi A4 costs and you get a lot more features and performance on the STi. Same with the 3 series. And if you want to get a base STi they are around $34k. Which is what a well optioned mini cooper goes for.

The WRX and STi is the only performance car that hasn't crept up in price over the years.

Last edited by theangrydragon; 07-23-2017 at 09:04 PM.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Not Northern per Mar

I mean it looks cheap to me, regardless of it's performance. I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy it, but for 40k (valid or not) I'm expecting more than the seat to be nice. Esp since 90% of the time (being conservative) the car will be driven on public roads.

I may be too practical for a pure performance car, but as angry says it looks cheap plastic econobox for 40k.

Edit- I buy used and live on a farm so I know I'm not the target demographic. Still, I'd take a used m5 over a new STI.....

Tldr: take my opinion with grain of salt. STI cool car but not my jam

Last edited by Alive; 07-23-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
I do a lot of long trips in my WRX, at a year and a half I have over 25k miles. Even if they don't up the interior game i will not hesitate to get the STi at the end of my 3 year lease.

Despite the spartan interiors they are very comfortable and their road manners are more like a European car then they were on the previous generation. A seat, a steering wheel, and an awesome drivetrain are worth the price. I came from owning vw's and Audi's, even i can't bring myself to pay $4k more for a soft touch dashboard like the Golf R.

Again, with cars costing more you can find plenty of cars with nicer interiors in the mid 30's, but you won't find any with better performance. Everyone has their priorities.

And off the top of my head with nicer interiors its a pretty short list. A loaded up boring VW, a mini cooper, and that's it.

Last edited by theangrydragon; 07-23-2017 at 09:33 PM.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:19 AM   #24 (permalink)
Idiot Fanboy.

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
word.....as a former VW head and GTI owner I would have gladly given up the plaid seats and nifty gee gaws for the performance under the hood. The engine information center in the new STi's is legit. If I were going in on one I'd be looking at an off lease 2017. We've got one in the dealership now that is a blast to drive. White WRX Sti Limited with all the bells and whistles with less than 10k on it for $34k.

If only my money pool wasn't full of I.O.U.s

"The future is already here - it's just not very evenly distributed."
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chemist View Post
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****" is my motto
shadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

Send a message via AIM to subyrally

I am waiting for the Ascent to come out. as much as id like to get the STI, I already have a 400whp wrx, now it is time to think about a good family adventure rig for me, the wife, and the kids. besides, it is looking like the Ascent will have the new STI engine in it, 2.4L turbo. I just wish it came with a manual trans, im not the biggest fan of the automatics, in general. The CVT isn't horrible, unless you need to accelerate quickly, then its like mashed potatoes, you just wind out the engine and go nowhere.... at least in my mom's forester and my friend's impreza...
subyrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadawg View Post
Not an ambassador. I actually sell them new and Pre-owned. If I can be of assistance don't hesitate to ask. I am in the Philadelphia market.
Interesting... My wife needs a pre-owned car as her 2003 kia minivan needs replacing. I was about to get a loan, but after my new mortgage and consolidation loan for the credit cards I dropped 30 or so points on my score last month so it screwed me ��
Old 08-02-2017, 11:58 AM   #27 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
I didn't know this was a thing. It would've save me a little bit more off of the 2017 Impreza I bought a few months ago.

FOR SALE
BLachance75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:30 AM   #28 (permalink)
Idiot Fanboy.

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scougar View Post
Interesting... My wife needs a pre-owned car as her 2003 kia minivan needs replacing. I was about to get a loan, but after my new mortgage and consolidation loan for the credit cards I dropped 30 or so points on my score last month so it screwed me ��
Banks are going deep on credit scores so hit me up, if I can help I'd be glad to.

"The future is already here - it's just not very evenly distributed."
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chemist View Post
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****" is my motto
shadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:44 PM   #29 (permalink)

CCM Fan
I haven't really even checked this thread, and it seemed to have gotten a lot of responses, haha.

For anyone looking to buy a new Subaru that had one in the past, you can also call Subaru of America for a loyalty coupon. My brother bought a new crosstrek for his wife, and had not gotten an Ambassador coupon, so I told him to call SoA. They gave him a coupon for $500 worth of services/parts to any Subaru dealership.

This is my WRX now:

It's a 2018 Limited. Has Enkei Raijin summer wheels. Re-did all interior sound with a Kenwood DDX9903S and Focal speakers. Full front Xpel, rocker xpel, full car ceramic pro 9s. Just had my R400 exhaust installed too.
Beebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #30 (permalink)

Any Ambassador coupons left

Hi,

I'm giving this a shot and seeing if anyone would be willing to send me a Subaru Ambassador Coupon. I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks
Calsyn14 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage