mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
Active Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Houston, TX

That's great for us. And I think we try to replant trees after fracking.

But if we're getting our solar panels and/or metals from China just because they're cheaper that's another story for the environment. They'd be ripping us off in trade *cough cough*

I forgot to mention this cool thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO5rUqeCFY4

Steel mirrors instead of solar panels. I heard the air above them gets so hot that any birds trying to fly over die.

And someone proposed to have put these panels along the proposed southern border wall, which will probably be worse for the ecosystem IE bees, monarch butterflies, other migratory animals etc.
__________________
Ebay Feedback

MCB Feedback
YBBPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBBPI View Post
That's great for us. And I think we try to replant trees after fracking.

But if we're getting our solar panels and/or metals from China just because they're cheaper that's another story for the environment. They'd be ripping us off in trade *cough cough*

I forgot to mention this cool thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO5rUqeCFY4

Steel mirrors instead of solar panels. I heard the air above them gets so hot that any birds trying to fly over die.

And someone proposed to have put these panels along the proposed southern border wall, which will probably be worse for the ecosystem IE bees, monarch butterflies, other migratory animals etc.
I wonder if the Bond movie got the idea from this science, or if this science got the idea from Bond?
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?
 
Jordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jordan Station, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
You point out exactly what I was trying to highlight. Your travel options have been limited to getting in the car and driving to make a living. Never mind that just owning it sucks hundreds (and more) of your earned dollars out of your pocket every year and forces you to support the oil industry.

Why did we allow that, when we were all able to live and work within our community?
Why are we do steadfast AGAINST making a change that allows us more transportation options?
Even in places that do have mass transit, why are many of them on the verge of failing and underutilized?

The issue is that we have made it too easy to drive with no incentive to do otherwise. As fossil fuel sources run out, something else will have to be found. It isn't a question of if.


To be fair, I am NOT some eco warrior, merely pointing out the elephant in the room. I own a big *** truck with a V8. I work from home and drive less than 100 miles a month, typically, but need a way to move cargo.
I cycle. I love to use my bike to go places and do things, and yet it's so hard to do so. Even IF I ride my bike to the store, there is no where to lock it while I shop, or eat. Drivers treat cyclist like crap most of the time and it's downright dangerous in a lot of places.


As to the other comment, you DO realize how many technologies even the lowliest modern car has taken from past racing machines, right? And continue to be passed down and testbedded in racing?

I live in a rural area full of fruit farms, so there's little reason for mass transit to exist... hardly "big oil" pulling it's weight to eliminate competition. Completely my choice, I hate town/city living.

I'm also a mechanic, so I'm biased towards internal combustion.

As for my comment about your racing analogy... I don't know much drag racing tech ends up in production vehicles, but I'm guessing very little. Racing in general, yes... I can agree with that statement, but I was responding more to your mention of 1/8 mile times.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Spider!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
I wonder if the Bond movie got the idea from this science, or if this science got the idea from Bond?
That's how you make a solar car, millions of solex agitators.

__________________
My Feedback

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Nerd
 
Diomedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Highland Park, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post

This entire push is to get people away from cars and into mass transit. Its a control move...
Okay look, I'm not going to get into it because politics, but I'll just say...

I'm a biologist. I'm in the club. I have a seat (way in the nosebleeds, but still) in the room where we're working on the conspiracy to get rid of fossil fuels.

It's because they kill people. Many people die every year because of various respiratory diseases that would be less common, and some people will die later due to the various downstream effects of climate change (ask me how, I'm happy to go into it if you want, PM me). The less fossil fuels we use, the fewer people die.

(Being able to restrict movement once we institute martial law is just icing on the cake. But it isn't the point.)
__________________
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Subscribe! "Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback

Selling a PPS Pug? I might be buying. PM me.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
As for my comment about your racing analogy... I don't know much drag racing tech ends up in production vehicles, but I'm guessing very little. Racing in general, yes... I can agree with that statement, but I was responding more to your mention of 1/8 mile times.
I will concede that point to you, sir.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Spider!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX

A good fusion reactor would be nice. Might kill a lot of manufacturing and production, but we'll need the people in distribution, and then there's all of the work of picking all of the little bits of deuterium out of the ocean.
__________________
My Feedback

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?
 
Jordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jordan Station, Ontario, Canada

Some opinions now that I'm in front of a PC...

I have no problem with internal combustion engines going if the tech that replaces them is cheap to own and buy... but I see a big issue with the used market once those batteries age out and new ones need to be purchased and installed.

There is no "clean energy" in existence - it all requires some sort of "dirt" to create, regardless of what kind - and I see electric and hybrid cars as a way of passing the buck onto the next generation.

Toyota has patented their hybrid vehicle battery packs and carefully guards their supply chain - aftermarket battery packs often have been reconditioned by replacing only the bad cells, with updated connector strips to avoid some of the bigger issues associated with Toyota's battery tech. The packs aren't cheap either, 2k-3k for a pack plus install. They do last about 10 years or so, but that means the first gen hybrids are starting to age out, even best case scenario.

I can buy a cheap gas powered vehicle for a fraction of that - last couple of cars I've bought have averaged about $500 a piece.

In the urbanised countries in Europe, with mass transit systems in place that work well, it makes sense to ban cars from major city centers. In a country like Canada, where a lot of the population live in rural areas, we need cars that are reliable and run on a reliable energy source, like gasoline. Until the infrastructure is available everywhere, I don't see electric cars taking off regardless of legislation.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:31 AM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2007

Truly, if electric cars as they currently exist were attractive enough as a product to reliably replace gasoline engines, they already would have done so. IMO, it's not only the lack of versatility they currently offer, the expense of and ecological damage the current battery materials are prone to, but a great deal of background noise and manipulation from Big Oil as well.

Whatever replacement comes, at least for the next generation or two (if possible) needs to have an ability to run, or retrofit into current combustion technology. You aren't going to have collectors, rodders, etc just give up their cars.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Spider!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
Truly, if electric cars as they currently exist were attractive enough as a product to reliably replace gasoline engines, they already would have done so. IMO, it's not only the lack of versatility they currently offer, the expense of and ecological damage the current battery materials are prone to, but a great deal of background noise and manipulation from Big Oil as well.

Whatever replacement comes, at least for the next generation or two (if possible) needs to have an ability to run, or retrofit into current combustion technology. You aren't going to have collectors, rodders, etc just give up their cars.
Which to me is the interesting part of these various mileage laws and electric vehicle mandates. They either ignore or assume the feasibility of the whole thing. Granted that it drives things in the direction desired by the mandate, but the premise of an absolute and specific goal without a known path is supposed to be something you avoid.
__________________
My Feedback

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC