mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

XJ front springs on a WJ?

I'm able to get a set of 3.5in lift coil springs from a Jeep XJ (Free!) and was wondering if they would fit in place of the Rear coils on my current 4x4 jeep WJ. I know they won't fit on the front because the front springs are the same diameter for each individual coil while the rear springs on the WJ and the front XJ springs taper to a smaller diameter at the top of the coil. I'm trying to lift my jeep on a budget so wherever I can cut costs I probably will. Any help is appreciated!
Madvillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

XJ and WJ coils are mostly interchangeable, but you're gonna need to change out a lot more components than just the coils to lift the rear. You need longer travel shocks and a longer track bar or a track bar relocator bracket.

'Cheap lift' is one of the dumbest things you can do to your vehicle, it's the most efficient way possible to ruin the rest of your suspension. An IRO 3" WJ lift kit is only $500ish from most places and has everything you need to do it RIGHT. Just save up and buy that.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
XJ and WJ coils are mostly interchangeable, but you're gonna need to change out a lot more components than just the coils to lift the rear. You need longer travel shocks and a longer track bar or a track bar relocator bracket.

'Cheap lift' is one of the dumbest things you can do to your vehicle, it's the most efficient way possible to ruin the rest of your suspension. An IRO 3" WJ lift kit is only $500ish from most places and has everything you need to do it RIGHT. Just save up and buy that.
I guess that sounds like my best bet, everything separate was coming out to 700+. Ill check them out
Madvillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

IRO is the best place to go for lifting any of the unitbody Jeeps. This kit will give you enough lift to be worthwhile without ruining your daily quality with the rig. I'd add on a set of 1" wheel spacers too but that's optional.

Last edited by Marauder_Pilot; 01-02-2018 at 02:37 AM.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage