mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #31 (permalink)
"The" Pickle

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Looking at the shape it is in with its age, I wouldn't change a thing.

Not Quite Dead to Flounder
DPrekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #32 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I'm gna chime in on support for the 2019 Cherokee here. I have the Trailhawk trim and its simply amazing. Will it outwheel a wrangler...no...but it will be able to follow where most would never expect. Also i'm currently averaging ~26mpg when not wheeling. Yes they have had some issues with the new tranny for the '14-'15 models, but they have fixed many issues for the '19 that were 'death by paper cuts' sorta things. I previously had a '17 Trailhawk until i upgraded to the '19 because all the little improvements (plus i REALLY wanted that sunroof)

As with most vehicles, its always possible to get a 'friday' or a 'monday' build where the workers had other things on their minds and it wasn't built the best. But so far i've not had any issues, nor seen any major defects crop up in the redesigned '19 KL's. (they've been out since march)

Plus with factory tow package can tow 4500

Last edited by panhead4411; 07-20-2018 at 09:18 AM.
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #33 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Took the JKU to Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan last week. Was a blast, but I doubt I will go back. Very harsh for a basically stock suspension.

That didn't sound good,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TtcVpu7L5c

Had to pull out the Raptor.

Originally Posted by Ryantuomi View Post
I always close both my eyes and use the force.
1996XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
makin bacon

89 and 93 XJ owner here. I think the bulletproof moniker came from a lot of those early to mid 90's cherokees hitting 300k with minor problems. I can attest to that fact with my 93. It had most of the original core engine parts in it before I quit driving it at 365k. It was starting to need a bunch of work and instead of putting the money in the Jeep I bought a truck and the Jeep turned into a backyard trail rig. I still have it. It needs a few things to get up and going again but for the most part it would crank right up. I must have been a lucky one as it didn't need much work outside of basic maintenance. It did burn some oil boy. Towards the end I was changing oil every 4-5 weeks. It would let me know when it was time from the sound of the lifters/rockers sticking and rattling. But a fresh oil change and she was puring like a kitten again. I drive a full size truck now and it would be hard to go back. The only thing I really miss is that turning radius. You can whip those into parking spots like it ain't no thing.

Anyway good thread.

I can't really comment much on the newer jeeps aside from I see a lot of people driving them around these days. They sure have become popular. It's good to hear the 4 door wranglers (JKU?) are still decently built. I am sad to hear they got rid of the 4.0L though.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #35 (permalink)
"The" Pickle

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Well I am making the switch. What the heck. 20 years with a full size pickup is a good run.

Wrangler JL Unlimited. Couldn't do the Sahara, just don't like the fenders paint matched. Loved the Rubicon, but seriously, I don't find rocks very often, I tend to play in the mud.

Name:  Jeep2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  251.3 KB

Not Quite Dead to Flounder

Last edited by DPrekel; 09-20-2018 at 04:15 PM.
DPrekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:14 PM   #36 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

The new JL is a fantastic rig. I test drove one the other day for ****s and giggles, and I adore it. The price tag is tough to stomach, but really it's not outrageous compared to everything else comparable and for an SUV that's perfectly comfortable to use as a daily driver but can still outdo anything else on the market offroad, it's not unreasonable.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #37 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Welcome to the Jeep fam! Kiss your spending money goodbye! Not sure on the details of the packages...but does the Unlimited come with lockers? Lockers aren't only useful in rocks, they can really help in slick mud! And who needs paint matched fenders when you'll just be replacing them anyways...(you might say you aren't...but you will)

I'm a fan of my Cherokee Trailhawk. Great daily driver and moderate wheeler.
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:14 PM   #38 (permalink)

Woooohoo that Kia is gettin muddy
boddah is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage