mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Car problems

Some of you are going to be much more knowledgeable than I even it comes to cars. I humbly seek your wisdom. I drive an 04 Chevy Aveo with 82k miles. The exhaust has a sputtering sound when I wait for it to warm up, and today, I was outside id the cars and could hear the exhaust fluttering. Lately, when I drive over about 45, the engine is much louder than it used to be. Ideas?
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
68 Cal Junkie

Loose baffliling in the exaust?
spymongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Inline Mechs

I'd be checking for leaks first. If you can get under it, with a bucket of soapy Dawn water, drench it section by section and look for bubbkes as a tell tale sign of a leak.

Second, are there any check engine lights? If so, any autoparts store can read the code causing it. My thought is your catalytic converter may have blown out (happened to me this spring after one of my cats suffered an impact).
Walking Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have an Aveo as well and when my O2 sensor went out I had similar issues. Just a heads up if you haven't had any coolant related issues yet keep an eye out. Leaks in the coolant system has been by far the biggest issue with my Aveo. One way to tell if you may have a coolant leak is if your heat starts to go out, at least that is what happened to mine.
somethingbenign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

sounds like u have an exhaust leak somewhere. most likely rusted/worn out section of pipe
WORR13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Stick View Post
I'd be checking for leaks first. If you can get under it, with a bucket of soapy Dawn water, drench it section by section and look for bubbkes as a tell tale sign of a leak.

Second, are there any check engine lights? If so, any autoparts store can read the code causing it. My thought is your catalytic converter may have blown out (happened to me this spring after one of my cats suffered an impact).
I've had a check engine light on for about a year now. I have a bluetooth adaptor to check the code, and last I did, it was a gas cap code. I replaced the cap, and it worked for a while, and then the code persisted. I have ignored it since then. Maybe time to look again? And should it be on while I'm under it with the water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingbenign View Post
I have an Aveo as well and when my O2 sensor went out I had similar issues. Just a heads up if you haven't had any coolant related issues yet keep an eye out. Leaks in the coolant system has been by far the biggest issue with my Aveo. One way to tell if you may have a coolant leak is if your heat starts to go out, at least that is what happened to mine.
I replaced an O2 sensor once before. No coolant issues that I am aware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WORR13 View Post
sounds like u have an exhaust leak somewhere. most likely rusted/worn out section of pipe
I'll take a look under it for sure then.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

That evap code can come from basically anywhere in the evap system. If its a bad solenoid its a different code I believe. Could be the filler neck or any of the vacuum lines in the system.

Is the exhaust sound like a puffing sound?
Macdave06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yes, one could describe it as a puffing.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
Yes, one could describe it as a puffing.
I would get it up on a couple stands, start it up, and just feel around the joints for leaks. Obviously you don't want to touch the pipes but if you can hear it above you'll be able to feel it. You'll also be able to hear where its coming from pretty easily underneath.
Macdave06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
One Foot Less

Wow.

If you have an exhaust leak, you aren't going to need water to find it. You will hear it. If it's anywhere upstream or near either of your sensors, you would have a check engine light for it. Generally speaking if it's up towards the motor it will be a sharp cracking or clicking noise. A lot of people mistake it for valves. It would most certainly activate a downstream sensor. If it's in the back it would just be noisy. It wouldn't particularly have a tendency to make the car run badly downstream, just sound loud.

Where I don't know this car specifically, what I would check would be plugs/cap (or) coils/wires, PCV valve, and your catalytic converter for collapse. Normally on the last you will hear a weird metallic vibration sound. Typically when a CC goes out it will smell weird and you will note bigger issues under load or power as it restricts exhaust flow.

Keep in mind that modern cars know issues exist typically even before it becomes a detrimental issue. If you have a CEL you should pursue that first.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage