mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #21 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post
My Mother had Allstate (basically where I inherited it from) and they dropped her home owners insurance after a second flood claim (within like 20 years) stating she was in a high risk area; which she was NOT. First flood claim was due to a cracked foundation due to the city working on the street outside followed by heavy rain storms, This led to 4 feet of water in the basement. The second flood claim was due to a second story cracked water pipe. I don't remember if they covered the second claim or not before dropping her.
Kinda just the way it goes, unfortunately. My parents were dropped by Allstate on homeowners as well, after the dehumidifier in their basement melted down resulting in a substantial fire - not a complete loss though. Allstate was accommodating through the process and handled everything well on that end, but still, dealing with being dropped after you've had something like a house fire kinda sucks. They did have to really push on the guy in charge of structural damage to get proper repairs done vs some half-baked solutions, but the woman responsible for making sure their possessions were replaced was very understanding and helpful.

That said, this is another place where an insurance brokerage really helped them out. They were a able to get a policy quickly and with lower rates than what they were originally paying Allstate for similar coverage.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #22 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
It seems ironic though that you pay into your insurance literally for decades and then when you have the audacity to actually try and use it they can consider you a "risk" and just drop you. Isn't this exactly what insurance is for? You're supposed to be hedging your bets against the risk of something happening. The insurance company is LITERALLY getting paid to take that risk for you.

Biggest effing scam there is if you ask me.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage