mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Is anyone happy with their insurance? Recommendations needed

I was happy with AAA until today. They are telling me that a minor ding in my front bumper from a previous and unrelated incident is pushing the major repair to my rear bumper over the threshold of being a "total loss". I've seen the estimate, the body shop simply noted the ding but did not put any dollar amount on it because they aren't fixing it because it is unrelated. I've been over this 3 times with my claims rep that I understand the value of my vehicle is lowered, and I don't have an issue with that, but they insist that the estimated cost of repair to the front bumper, which is not getting repaired and doesn't have a repair estimate associated with it, is what is pushing the whole thing over the total loss threshold.

At this point I will probably be looking at minimum liability coverage since the vehicle is approaching 10 years old and is well paid off, but still has lots of life left (Mazda2 in great mechanical condition under 75k miles).

So... is anyone happy or satisfied with their insurance provider or have any recommendations? I'm definitely taking my money elsewhere if the total loss representative can't make things right. I actually expected the vehicle to be a total loss, but the claims rep screwed up by telling me what minor bit pushed it past the threshold.

Planet Eclipse Tech and Planet Eclipse Service Center. Please PM me for any warranty work or other Planet Eclipse service needs.

I also work on other markers, PM for info.

Dealer for: Planet Eclipse, Ninja, GI/Empire/Tippmann/etc, Dye, Exalt, GoG, Valken, HK, GXG, CP, Push

PM me if you're looking for something. No, I will not sell it to you for cheaper than everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
Part of owning a cocker is problem solving
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

We use Amica. Never had a problem.

Last year my wifes car got the door backed into by a tireshop employee. The shop covered all the costs. All good there.

But a couple days before her car was due in the body shop for the door someone rearended my wifes car. Messing up the rear bumper trunk and trunk floor. Took it back to the body shop for another quote. The body shop owner asked if I could get the insurance to speed up the process so they could do both repairs at the same time. A day later they (Amica) approved the shop doing the repair and all was good.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
TooTall518

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Been happy with Allstate for decades, so has my family.

Feedback | YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderbarsafari View Post
While not technically a member of the Transformer family due to his non-vehicular appearance, Obake is a also a robot in disguise and distant cousin of Optimus Prime.
Obake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
I had USAA they were great. GICCO is junk they save you 15% by ripping the other percent off. I’m Now using Allstate because they were the only insurance company that would pay out for OEM parts. All others would only offer “like oem parts” aka China knock off parts.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
I do what I do

I have Travelers. Very meh, had to fight back hard on a valuation when my pickup was totaled last year. The other driver was found to be 100% at fault, their insurance (Allstate) lowballed the hell out of me. Ended up going through my collision policy and appraisal clause through Traveler's to get a fair value. Subrogated from there out. Long story short, I wouldn't recommend Allstate or Traveler's from that experience. Still have Traveler's for the time being simply due to premiums, but will change ASAP.

However, I have Progressive for my bike and boat. I have been very happy with them. Handled a boat claim a few years back extremely well and pain free.

gerth21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've had Farm Bureau (Tennessee Farmers Mutual) for going on 10 years now, never really shopped around. Last weekend for kicks and grins I quoted an auto policy through progressive and it cut the bill in more than half. That's with 3 cars, 2 full coverage, 1 liability only. I promptly switched. I've used progressive in the past for motorcycles and never had an issue.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
TooTall518

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
I have a feeling there are regional differences as far as insurance providers go - it might be best to ask locals who they use.

(Just an observation since Mr Idiot Box and I both use Allstate and we're both in Upstate NY)

Feedback | YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderbarsafari View Post
While not technically a member of the Transformer family due to his non-vehicular appearance, Obake is a also a robot in disguise and distant cousin of Optimus Prime.
Obake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I 'recently' got rear ended by a guy with geico. (Ohio) They got me into the rental car the very next morning (sunday even). However that is the extent of the good from that experience. The adjusters were slow to do follow up inspections AND kept missing things and there were like 5 damage adjustments over the course of three months before they finally backed out of the claim and forced me to get my insurance to cover it. I have a local-ish insurance, and when i went into the office to talk with the agents they expressed having had quite a few similar issues with geico.

Dude that hit me was actually an acquaintance and he told me recently he's looking for another insurance.
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Old gear!

We use Safeco (a Liberty company) - they jacked our rates a few years back after I got rear-ended in a hit-and-run, but I left then went back and my rates are a ton lower again.

I highly recommend finding a good insurance brokerage; we did because they were able to show us the myriad gaps in our homeowner's coverage then find us a much better policy for only ~$100/yr more. (Named exclusion instead of named coverage. Big difference.)

Geico is pretty tough to deal with (got backed into and it took them 2 weeks to get an adjuster on site); I got hit last month by a guy with Farmer's and it took a couple days to get rolling but smooth sailing from there. (No, I'm not terribly unlucky, there are just a lot of drivers in Dallas - I've had a fender-bender every 18 mos or 25,000 miles, which isn't bad when you're fighting 5 million people for the right to an exit ramp. So I care a lot about my coverage.)
flyweightnate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyweightnate View Post
which isn't bad when you're fighting 5 million people for the right to an exit ramp.
And 2 million of them are looking at their phones.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage