mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Newer compact car recommendations?

Hey all,

I'm thinking about replacing my WRX with something more economical, it's a fun car, but it's expensive and I drive enough that something easier on the wallet would really benefit my finances.

I generally prefer Japanese cars, but I'm open to trying different brands. I prefer hatchbacks over sedan/coupe, but I'm not overly picky. Needs to come in manual transmission, have a moon/sunroof and factory roof rack would be nice. Right now I'm looking at a Honda Fit to give you an idea of what I'm looking for.

Anyone have any experiences or thoughts they'd like to share?

J
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

A coworker of mine bought a Chevy Sonic a couple years ago and it's been a really great little car. Cheap, and I drove it for a few days when my truck was in the shop and it was super smooth and drove really nice. Other than that I have good experiences with the Scion Xa/Toyota Echo, and Hyundai Accent.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
TooTall518

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
I love my Prius, roomy hatchback and amazing fuel economy - but it doesn't tick the manual transmission box.

Here's the Consumer Reports scores for Compact and Subcompact cars though:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qn49886ly...t5lB0TjUa?dl=0

Feedback | YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderbarsafari View Post
While not technically a member of the Transformer family due to his non-vehicular appearance, Obake is a also a robot in disguise and distant cousin of Optimus Prime.
Obake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Brass and Wood Fan
I had a manual Honda Fit. I didn't care much for it. Just so bland and cheap with a floppy shifter.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Springfeed the world.

The Honda Fit Sport is a blast, dude. There's a reason Spoon builds them into track cars.

If you're looking brand new, go test drive a new Corolla Hatch. They come in 6MT, are very fuel efficient, and they're a blast to drive. I test drove one a month ago when we started considering a second car.

I'm also a firm believer that Toyota's will outlast almost anything on the road. We're currently chucking around a 2003 Celica with 250,000 kms on it, and I haven't had any expensive repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
I can understand the 7K price but $22 shipping seems excessive.
Look Ma! No hoppers!

11 Years of Feedback: 28+/0-
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

MazdaSpeed3 is cheaper than a WRX and still a lot of fun. I have a Focus ST, my sister has the Speed3 and you can really feel the extra ten HP, plus it sounds fantastic for a stock turbo4 motor. I'm not a huge fan of the manual, it's not super precise, but not bad either Decent MPG, about 26 in the city.

On the other hand I HATE my ST. Maybe I just got a lemon but it's had so many issues and it's just not as fun to drive as the Speed.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
I love my Prius, roomy hatchback and amazing fuel economy - but it doesn't tick the manual transmission box.

Here's the Consumer Reports scores for Compact and Subcompact cars though:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qn49886ly...t5lB0TjUa?dl=0
That's a deal-breaker for me, I can't stand automatic transmissions. Thanks for the dropbox link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
I had a manual Honda Fit. I didn't care much for it. Just so bland and cheap with a floppy shifter.
What year? I've heard the earlier generations were very meh. I have yet to try a Fit, but they're well within my price range and they seem to suit most of my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRBAKK View Post
The Honda Fit Sport is a blast, dude. There's a reason Spoon builds them into track cars.

If you're looking brand new, go test drive a new Corolla Hatch. They come in 6MT, are very fuel efficient, and they're a blast to drive. I test drove one a month ago when we started considering a second car.

I'm also a firm believer that Toyota's will outlast almost anything on the road. We're currently chucking around a 2003 Celica with 250,000 kms on it, and I haven't had any expensive repairs.
I agree with you there. My whole family (aside from my Subaru-loving self) runs Toyotas and they have been super reliable. I'm curious about the Corolla hatch, but I have reservations about their new semi-manual 6-speed. Did you try it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofpaint View Post
MazdaSpeed3 is cheaper than a WRX and still a lot of fun. I have a Focus ST, my sister has the Speed3 and you can really feel the extra ten HP, plus it sounds fantastic for a stock turbo4 motor. I'm not a huge fan of the manual, it's not super precise, but not bad either Decent MPG, about 26 in the city.

On the other hand I HATE my ST. Maybe I just got a lemon but it's had so many issues and it's just not as fun to drive as the Speed.
26 city is decent, certainly better than my WRX. Honestly man while I do love a good spirited turbo I just don't get the same excitement from aggressive driving as I once did. I have 0 experience with Mazdas. I've heard very bipolar reviews for the ST.
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
TooTall518

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
That's a deal-breaker for me, I can't stand automatic transmissions. Thanks for the dropbox link!
You're welcome!

Overall 52 / City 43 / Hwy 59 mpg - Just saying if economy is your thing, come to the darkside and drive spaceships with us

Feedback | YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderbarsafari View Post
While not technically a member of the Transformer family due to his non-vehicular appearance, Obake is a also a robot in disguise and distant cousin of Optimus Prime.
Obake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yea, my ST has just been problem after problem, I can't wait to get rid of it. The depreciation on it is ridiculous too, worth less than half what I paid just two years later and I bought it used for a good bit below blue book.

Her Mazda has been fantastic, she's almost at 100k miles and it hasn't had a single issue. That's with a heavy commute too. The premium model has comfortable seats, and the infotainment is new enough to support bluetooth and everything without being a mess.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
VP Ragnastock

CCI Phantom Fan

Found this for you man.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage