mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pocket Full of Sunshine

Car Questions

Hello,
I am really fighting getting a 2019 dodge Durango R/T AWD for a family SUV with 22k miles on it.

Everywhere I look the ratings are alright except in one category, reliability... Does anyone have some first hand knowledge on these puppies?

There would probably be some light towing involved for it(mainly some brush trailer stuff nothing more than a small popup camper.

Appreciate any help you guys can give!
blitz121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
One Foot Less

I owned a Dodge some years ago and swore I would never do it again. I loved the vehicle, I liked to drive it, and yet when things went wrong they ALL went wrong.
A buddy of mine had a loaded out RAM truck of one of the "designer" designations with the HEMI in it. It developed head issues while in warranty and simply due to the number of different motor designations not even the dealership could make it right. They ended up lemon lawing it for him.

My personal thoughts lie with, if you are going to own it for a short time and do a trade it, I would probably go for it, if you like it. It very well could be that the "issues" have already started, and thus why it's available.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Recently my mechanic friends and I have come to agree that Chrysler is quite firmly on the bottom of the list of cars to buy. Even Kia and Hyundai are quite firmly above them on the ladder. Quite.

Consumer Reports and any car magazine worth reading will tell you this as well as any “car guy” that still has his teeth.

Now that you know better, you can regret the decision you’re going to make anyway no matter what we say. Go. Chrysler!
SignOfZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Had a 2013 Ram crewcab with the hemi. Big stuff was all rock solid - engine, trans, etc. It was also very well laid out and functional, and had an excellent interior, and by far the best ride quality on a truck I have been in.

Alllllllll of the sensors, tubes, small components were crap. In less than 50,000 miles, I replaced 2 or 3 fuel rail pressure sensors, a few EVAP sensors, a few more miscellaneous sensors, and I swear all of the EVAP lines in the truck. To include the one that runs through the gas tank, which required the whole tank being dropped.

I also had a 2013 Jeep GC that had a lot of similar issues, and a weird phantom transmission slipping issue. I got told "that's just the way the car is" by multiple service technicians.

My dealership/service experiences have also been universally bad at all Jeep/Ram locations across 3 different states.

So no more FCA for me.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Springfeed the world.

Skip it dude. Fiat Chrysler has a horrible reputation for reliability.
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

https://www.pacificaforums.com/threa...ne-else.26154/

Very fun read.

Short story; when you eventually decide to make a hybrid 15-20 years after Honda and Toyota and you only have Italian electronics you get a pile a useless junk.
SignOfZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pocket Full of Sunshine

Thank you guys I have heard Chrysler is bad but the deal was good, I will totally skip this one!
blitz121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
i have seen.. on more than one occasion, a dodge truck on the side of the freeway with one end of the driveshaft resting on the ground... new trucks, old trucks doesnt matter.

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Trucks...Chev or Toyota

SUV...Chev Tahoe or GMC Yukon, or Toyota 4 Runner or Highlander

Auto...I would stick with Toyota/Lexus...maybe older Honda's/Acura's

We picked a used 2013 Chev Tahoe, with 138K miles...luv it, mostly the wife drives it.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Pass if youre looking to own long term. (as stated above)
Tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage