mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

RX-7 with 135k miles-HOW BAD?

Okay, how bad an idea is this? There's a guy local to me with a pretty cherry FB RX-7 1985 model with 135k on the odometer that's for $2500 or trade for a snowmobile (which I have one that fits that price range for sale) and I'm idly sports car curious.

Should I run away fast or just at a brisk walk? Or are rotaries so much fun that it's worth it?
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass and Wood Fan
FB? do a V8 swap into it
TANSTAAFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay
To be fair, safe-ish is how I describe Don to most people
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Remove all internal rinds
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

They aren't so much fun that it is worth it.

They also aren't so bad that its terribly scary.

Thats my opinion.

Better off with a miata though, really.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

It's probably fine. They are just cheap cars because no one really wants one. IF the rotary has blown seals it's a full engine teardown, but then you get to put in better quality ones.

It's a high revving car, which means it's loud and whines high. If you aren't driving it around in +5k rpm all the time your not driving it right. It's also important as the high rpm's help in lubricating the seals.

The popular mod is to put in an LS V8 and make it a "normal" sports car. Not everyone enjoys the high rev life, but do like the look of the car.

If the car has been sitting for a long time, it is possible the seals are dry. Definitely a car guys car, if you like high rev engines.

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

So kind of a 50/50 proposal then? I dig unique items (used to collect 2-stroke road bikes) and I miss wrenching on my old Tacoma when I used to do 4x4 stuff.

Are they just uninteresting to drive or just bland in general?
Old 11-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Springfeed the world.

Is it the 12A or 13B?

12A, might need a rebuild but I wouldn't worry about it until it really goes. The 12A is probably the most reliable rotary motor made.

The 13B could be a bit more complicated, however the first gens weren't boosted in North America and overall tend to be more reliable than any of the turbo'd motors they released.

I would be more concerned about the rest of the car still being in decent shape. They were designed in 1978 and rust when you look at them the wrong way.
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay View Post
If the car has been sitting for a long time, it is possible the seals are dry. Definitely a car guys car, if you like high rev engines.
Now you have my attention. My favorite bike is my Yamaha RD400 2-stroker that is no fun unless it's wound out but doesn't really make much horsepower. Sounds like the Mazda rotaries compare to these kind of.

Edit: it's a 13B engine. 1985 RX7 GSL.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Springfeed the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Now you have my attention. My favorite bike is my Yamaha RD400 2-stroker that is no fun unless it's wound out but doesn't really make much horsepower. Sounds like the Mazda rotaries compare to these kind of.

13B swap? The 13B only came in the GSL-SE.

The best North American trim in my opinion is the GSL.

You get an LSD, 4 discs, and the carb'd 12A.

Go checkout rx7club if you're serious. There are lots of good resources for them.

In terms of fun, they're very unique. Very light weight, no torque, and they love to get redlined.
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
So kind of a 50/50 proposal then? I dig unique items (used to collect 2-stroke road bikes) and I miss wrenching on my old Tacoma when I used to do 4x4 stuff.

Are they just uninteresting to drive or just bland in general?
Quote:

Oh they are fun to drive. You sit low, steering is tight, and they are built to drive through the turn. Super fun.

Their power band is either 6-8k or ~4-6k rpm's depending on the model..etc... for the naturally aspirated engines.

Rotaries are weird though, they still pull torque even when the HP plateaus or starts to fall off at top of the gear. Which makes them super fun in turns.

But ya, if you are going for a grocery run your screaming right into the parking spot

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRBAKK View Post
13B swap? The 13B only came in the GSL-SE.

In terms of fun, they're very unique. Very light weight, no torque, and they love to get redlined.
Here's the CL ad: https://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto...016464383.html

Not sure, just assumed it was a 13B based on the GSL and some quick wikipedia education.

I texted the guy to see if it's still available. Sounds like a fun car for sporty driving, especially since I have a proper new pickup truck for everyday driving.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage