mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ivan Sovetsky

CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996XJ View Post
I would assume the Civic SI throttle lag can be remedied with a cheap tuner. I had to do that with my manual trans JKU, was so irritating beforehand.
I'm not as car savvy as I'd like to be - what is this cheap tuner you speak of, and how do you do that?
Rainmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

i might go that route and put a little extra $ to the side for a tune. Hell, every vehicle ive owned the 1st thing i do is a short ram and axle back. the only car i didnt do any of that to is this mazda 3 im currently driving. its got the bigger 2.5l and a long stroke with lots of low end but its an AUTO and it kills me every time i drive it. so much so that i went back to the rav4 with 330,000 miles on it. lol
Tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I'm not as car savvy as I'd like to be - what is this cheap tuner you speak of, and how do you do that?
There's a couple different routes, the cheaper way is a throttle booster, that takes the signal from the pedal sensor and modifys it to tricks your cars computer into making the throttle plate respond sooner.

https://www.amazon.com/Injen-X-Pedal...0258080&sr=8-4

The other is a handheld programmer that plugs into the OBDII port under the dash, and adjust the throttle sensitivity settings on your vehicle. These typically allow you to modify other options as well, such as transmission shifting, speed limiter, and other performance options. Usually between $300-500.

I got the second type for my Jeep, I use it to alter the engine tuning for the large turbo I added. Plus it lets me adjust my speedometer to compensate for different tires sizes and gearing.
Originally Posted by Ryantuomi View Post
I always close both my eyes and use the force.

Last edited by 1996XJ; 01-28-2020 at 08:36 PM.
1996XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

We liked our 2008 Honda Fit Sport so much that we bought a second one. To be fair we were just looking for a cheap car for junior to drive and happened to stumble upon the identical twin to Mrs. Canuck's - 7 years after buying the first one. We have had no major issues with either of these cars and, considering that I used the second one for the past three years on a 200 kilometer /120 mile daily commute, this speaks volumes for their reliability. Now that I've retired from that heinous commute the car is back in junior's hands so that he can get to his university classes on time and without complaint...

Canuck

Featuring Death: Bringing Honour to the Paintball Field

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
All Hail Harb!

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996XJ View Post
I would assume the Civic SI throttle lag can be remedied with a cheap tuner. I had to do that with my manual trans JKU, was so irritating beforehand.
I had my 13si tuned over the internet using HONDATA ecu
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

My wife and I just bought a 2013 Mazda 3 for her daily driver. Ours is an auto but they're readily available in stick, it's great on gas, I know the previous owner and it's made it so far with zero issues and it's a ton of fun to drive.

Plus, you don't pay the same premium for a Mazda that a Honda or Toyota commands.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

the mazda im driving now isnt a bad car but the automatic kills it for me. Thankfully it has the bigger 2.5 4cyl but i cant get past the auto. also the suspension is really stiff so you think yeah, this is sporty, but when you start pushing it into the corners, it gets all spongy and wayward. The manual mode is a joke and the shifts seem really slow (at least to me coming from a manual with a short throw).

i think ill look into the 06 to 11 civic si with the 2.0 k20. always wanted a k20 and this might fit the bill. 4 door, decent on gas, good engine...
Old 01-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Ivan Sovetsky

CCI Phantom Fan
Something like this one?
Rainmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:39 AM   #19 (permalink)

yeah. i think that will fit the bill.
thank ya
Old 01-31-2020, 04:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

If you can find one, the TDI VW are fantastic. I have a 2002 TDI Jetta and love it. The only thing I would really change is the fact that it is a sedan and not a hatchback (i.e. a Golf.) Parts can be expensive, but in general they are rock solid, especially the older ones. I've heard that the automatic transmission on the newer (2010+?) can have some issues, but that is easily taken care of with a transmission swap

I get 30+ mpg just driving to and from work, and that is all surface streets with lights every couple hundred feet. Highway you can easily get 45+.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage