mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #21 (permalink)

I have the pallet of a peasant in most things but Scotch is my whiskey of choice. The Chivas Royal Salute is very nice. I've had several Mccallans that I liked as well. I took the tour at Bushmills and they explained that the only difference between Scotch and Irish Whiskey is that Irish Whiskey is triple distilled. Bushmills makes several single malts but most single malts are beyond me so I usually stick to blended scotchs like Chivas. Famous Grouse is my favorite Scotch (when I can find it). Black Bush my favorite Irish Whiskey.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmtnphantom View Post
So, NOT Scotch but a very nice Irish Single malt that you might want to try is Bushnell's single malt, comes in 10 and 16 year verities. I try to always have some in the house.
I actually just finished a bottle of Bushmills not too long ago, it was a gift. Nice, but I prefer scotch at this point. When I was in Dublin on vacation a few years ago, we did a tour of the Jameson distillery. I got to participate in the taste test. I ended up preferring the scotch over the Jameson.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a list in my wallet for my next trip to the liquor store (probably this weekend).

Manning-Is-My-hero, thanks for info on the regions and dominating characteristics. Based on the Isle Jura bottle I tried, I agree that the Islay scotches are something I'll try further down the road. I think I'll keep to the Speyside brands for this next bottle.

Last edited by acesn8s; 01-25-2010 at 10:58 PM.
acesn8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Craggenmore is super smooth stuff. I had some MacAllen with some friends the other night and really liked it.

If youre going cheap, Scoresby isn't bad, actually. You can get it at Costco. I also hear BevMo has a $7.00 bottle of Scotch called "Dunlivett" that a coworker really likes, and keeps asking me to try. The bulk of my scotch drinking was Glenlivett.
sniperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
is my hero

PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesn8s View Post
Manning-Is-My-hero, thanks for info on the regions and dominating characteristics. Based on the Isle Jura bottle I tried, I agree that the Islay scotches are something I'll try further down the road. I think I'll keep to the Speyside brands for this next bottle.
No problem. At least you'll have a good time whatever you choose, and I'll offer to accept as a gift any bottle ya don't like.

Feedback thread: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I have a theory about Scotch vs. Irish whiskey.

Scotch gets its name of course by being distilled in Scotland. A country who's modern Celtic ancestors came over from Ireland. With the Irish came their method of producing what is now knows as Scotch. For my argument I consider Scotch whiskey to be a single malt, though most companies now offer a blended scotch.

Fast forward to 1780 when what has become commonly known as Irish whiskey started. A blended whiskey for a more consistent taste. I use the 1780 date because it is when Jamesonís Irish whiskey began. This company was founded by John Jameson (no relation to Jenna) a Scott whose work has lead to the popular term of Irish whiskey, a blended whiskey.

So I feel that for these reasons the method of producing these lovely drinks...Scotch whiskey is in fact truly Irish whiskey, while Irish whiskey is blended scotch.
Rifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #26 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

If you like the Glenfiddich and Glenlivet then explore some of the other Speyside whiskeys. Glenmorangie is my personal recommendation in that area. If you can find it over here, Glen Ord Cadenhead is phenomenal. Someone above mentioned Talisker which is also a very fine malt, though it's more peaty than the Speysides. Not as peaty as the Islay whiskeys though. Laphroig and Lagavulin are extremely smokey and not to everyone's taste.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:28 AM   #27 (permalink)
is my hero

PPS Fan
Besides the obvious Scotch = barreled in Scotland / Irish Whiskey = made in Ireland there are a few more differences in the way that each is made.

In the process of making Scotch, the barley is dried over an open peat moss fire is what gives Scotch its distinct "peaty" taste. Irish whiskey is made using barley dried in an enclosed kiln.

In addition, Irish whiskey is made with both malted and unmalted barely while Scoth is made with only malted barely.

And finally, Irish whiskey is triple distilled (as mentioned earlier) and Scotch is ond distilled twice. I also mispoke earlier when talking about MacAllan. It is aged in old COGNAC barrels not Sherry. The Irish, being a frugal thrifty lot, used the old Sherry barrels to age their whiskies which is part of what makes it so delicious.

As for the variances in Scotch, the differences in the mineral content of the water in each area also serves to differentiate the taste as well as the air of the region. As the Scotch (or any spirit including wine) ages in barrels, gases are mixed and passed both in and out of the barrel and therefore in and out of the Scotch which alter and add to the flavor. This can be good or bad depending on your taste. For example, Islay Scotches are said to get their saltiness from the ocean air that exists in the area as, if you check a map, Islay is basically an island and the region is all coastal including the Jura area that the OP referrenced.

Fascinating stuff!

Feedback thread: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #28 (permalink)
Token Ginger...

Currently my favorite drinking scotch is Longmorn which is a speyside scotch...

anything that is aged in sherry oak is good to go!!! Glenfiddich Solera Urn is also good as well as 15 year old Glenlivett.

Highland scotch is a bit more meaty and i wont touch any of the peaty's...

Has any one tired some of the 50%'s i have an uncle that feeds them too me but i don't want to bump up my price point....
ginger ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #29 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
I am interrested in Scotch and have some friends who are into drinking it, but a quick walk down the isle shows most of it is out of my price range at the moment. (I did have some Dewers the other night and some Walker Black last night.) I decided to dabble in American Ryes in the mean time and haven't regretted it. (have not tried them all, but current favorite is Rittenhouse: https://www.liquorsnob.com/archives/2...key_review.php ) American Rye is great stuff!

Something else I am itching to try is the only currently available wheat wiskey, Bernheim: Bernheim Wheat Whiskey – Review | Bourbon Central

Has anyone here tried it?

Last edited by Finnigan; 03-09-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Finnigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

Well, I ended up up stopping by the liquor store by the office on the way home from work today. Their selection wasn't as robust I had hoped. I ended up choosing a bottle of Highland Park 12. I thought 12 years in an old spanish sherry cask should make for an interesting taste.

It has a smokier flavor than the Glenfiddich 12 (which I still prefer at this point) but the smoke is nicely balanced with a sweet tingle on the tongue and a little bit of pepper.

I've still got a short list of speysides from this thread that I'll be keeping an eye out for, plus a few others that I tripped over while doing some research with my new found knowledge.

Anyone try Glenmorangie's Nector D'or?
acesn8s is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat