mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #191 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker-Monkey View Post
2012s are nice they get 2 more mpg and have 185 hp on the v-6

I am thinking of trading in my 2006 wrangler for one.

Bunker
Great timing on post!
I close on the new house at 1100 on Friday, I was just on Autotrader.com and found 3 soft top with manuals two in Syracuse one in Oswego.
Might as well go Jeep shopping in the afternoon.
paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #192 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

The 2012 is a huge improvement over the '07-'11 models. Go for it!
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #193 (permalink)
Fat and happy

Send a message via AIM to Bunker-Monkey Send a message via MSN to Bunker-Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Bunker-Monkey

CCM Fan
I thought the 07 + model was a good improvement on the 06- in some ways but less in others.. I find the ruggedness of a jeep to be appealing and their quest to get into the car market seems to be lost on me.

That being said the gains of switching tire size and upping the suspension is huge.. now with the 2012's gains in performance.. its just too many good things..

Bunker

---------------------------
Nothing is stylish in the deadbox. - NSGSplatmaster
No matter how hot she is, somewhere there is a man that is sick of her ****. - ChaplainBane

The Bunker Monkey Wish List... help me fill it!

Bunker-Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #194 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

A lot of the hardcore Jeepers are disappointed about the nicer interiors, since now they're mostly nice enough that you can't hit it with a power washer, but in terms of pure off-road performance, the JK with the 3.8L matched or beat the TJ everywhere, and I can only imagine that the 3.6L will be even better.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #195 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
A lot of the hardcore Jeepers are disappointed about the nicer interiors
I think in time, the TJ verses JK will be a lot like the CJ verses YJ.

We (hardcore Jeepers) all hated the YJ. We hated the "modern" dash, mushy suspension, and square lights. Plus, in stock form, they came with tiny donut tires that made it look so diminutive. It seemed like they redesigned the Jeep to appeal to the Alicia Silverstones of the world (ie Clueless).

It wasnt until the TJ came out that people started to realize that the YJ was, in fact, superior to the CJ. The 4.0HO engine had way more power. The AX-15 trans was far superior to CJ-era transmissions. The suspension was stronger, less prone to body roll. Bodies were galvanized and obviously parts and options are much better sourced.

Not that JKs are unpopular. They are hugely popular. So much that its hard to get a good price on one. But Jeepers have been unhappy about the cosmetics. The goofy flares, and tiny grill. The wimpy engine, etc. The look was a large departure from previous models.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #196 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

I dunno, I really like the plastic fenders. The looks are OK, but they get big marks on practicality for me. Why?

Well, the fenders on my TJ are dented and rusted through in one spot. If I want to replace them, I've either got to cough up over a thousand for some OEM replacements from the local stealership, cross my fingers and try and find some good used ones, or shell out around $2000 for some Metalcloaks or an AEV Highline Kit or something-and if I do that, I need to get bigger tires to match the additional clearance.

The other option is APPLY ALL THE BONDO!

Wreck a JK fender? I can get a full set of really nice ones in numerous styles for under $800.

And it's not like dented fenders are rare, either.

Personally, I think the JK is the best-looking version so far, too, and definitely the easiest to live with. TJs are a close second (Well, LJs specifically, but still), but the aftermarket isn't quite mainstream any more-at least in Canada, aftermarket parts for JKs are about 2-to-1 over TJs.

Last edited by Marauder_Pilot; 09-08-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #197 (permalink)
Buzz Killington

i love my 11 jk. today was a surprisingly sunny (not rainy) day in miami (after about 2 weeks of straight down pour here) and I rolled the top down and drove all over like that. And I have been getting a 19.5 mpg average! I love it.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #198 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
PPS Fan
I found one, my local dealer didn't have one that is stripped down though so I found one in Syracuse and they did a dealer trade should be here tomorrow at noon.
2012 soft top, with 6 speed. In Black just like my '78 CJ-7.
Pics after I got plates on it.
paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #199 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

Congrats! You'll love it. Once you get in a Jeep, you never go back. All other cars just look boring and overcomplicated by comparison.

Now go out and get it dirty. The best part about a Jeep is that, no matter where you're going, you always feel like you're on an adventure, or going to invade somebody.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #200 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
Congrats! You'll love it. Once you get in a Jeep, you never go back. All other cars just look boring and overcomplicated by comparison.

Now go out and get it dirty. The best part about a Jeep is that, no matter where you're going, you always feel like you're on an adventure, or going to invade somebody.
I feel more like that when I'm in the VW Thing.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat