mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   "Get them out now before you ruin their life" (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/205890-get-them-out-now-before-you-ruin-their-life.html)

FreeEnterprise 06-19-2012 12:02 PM

"Get them out now before you ruin their life"

Hmm... interesting article.

My Word: Jack Chambless Is it time to think about home schooling your child? - Orlando Sentinel

What do you think? Is public education too far gone, and the only way to save your kids is to home school them?

Bob 06-19-2012 12:15 PM

My wife and I talked a long time about this. We are defiantly doing something like this. There are coop schools in the community so the home schooled kids can socialize twice a week.

Lohman446 06-19-2012 12:37 PM

When people start throwing around terms like sample size without sharing data they tend to lose a bit of credibility with me. Do I think our K-12 system is great? No. Do I think it reasonable to compare it to selected samples from other nations? Nope.

Hawkeye20 06-19-2012 12:40 PM

DO NOT HOMESCHOOL YOUR KIDS!!!!!

I was homeschooled with an online program and it was the worst school I'd ever "attended". Terrible teacher-student communication. If I had a question I had to email my teacher and I was lucky to get a response 2 days later. That and the assignment submission was glitchy--I got so many zeros as scores because the damn submission program was always broken.

My grades were terrible year-round and I always ended up having to cram and study my *** off for every course exam because, due to my terrible averages, if I got anything low on any exams I'd fail the class.

That and I had pretty much no life for the 2 years I was homeschooled... I hardly got out of the house at all and saw my friends once a week, sometimes less.

FreeEnterprise 06-19-2012 12:50 PM

^ isn't home school... You are describing online school, there is a big difference.

Home schooling is where the parents are teaching their kids at home. Sometimes online curriculum is used, but it is parent driven, not by a teacher off site.

Deuce 06-19-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise (Post 2384265)
Hmm... interesting article.

My Word: Jack Chambless Is it time to think about home schooling your child? - Orlando Sentinel

What do you think? Is public education too far gone, and the only way to save your kids is to home school them?

Speaking for the Orlando public school system (and FL in general) yes, yes it is. Our children are being shortchanged at the expense of the FCATS and school funding.

anomoly40 06-19-2012 12:56 PM

I think a good bit of Parent/Child time after public school would help out better. Go over what your child learned that day, help them understand. If both parents are working or there is a single parent situation, this would be Ideal. You can't expect to hand your kids off to the State to teach them about lifes basics and prepare them for life ahead.

Painthappy 06-19-2012 12:58 PM

My daughter goes to a private school, which we pay for... It's a great school. But I'm also still paying for public school. So basically I'm paying twice for a better education.

Vouchers would be best. People can then choose which school they can take their money. Schools would then compete for that money by offering more/better, etc.

She just got her first standardized testing back. 97th percentile. I'll be keeping her there.

But it's SO MUCH MORE than just the school. Too much blame goes on the school when folks should be looking at home first. School is only part of the equation. Home is the other part. You can't blame the school without also having to blame home too. You can go to the worst school, but with the right about of education at home supplementing it, you can still come out on top.

Hawkeye20 06-19-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise (Post 2384316)
^ isn't home school... You are describing online school, there is a big difference.

Home schooling is where the parents are teaching their kids at home. Sometimes online curriculum is used, but it is parent driven, not by a teacher off site.

It was homeschooled--both my parents and a teacher taught me. About 50% of the work was online, but unfortunately because of the online factor, all my work had to be submitted and that's where I had problems.

pk5 06-19-2012 01:00 PM

Doesn't private school get part of their funding from the state?